Dictionary of Major Biblical Interpreters - Almost there!

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2010 8:34 AM

MJ

Yes, I saw. Major blunder! And now that I check, Maimonides gets one hit, Nachmanides none...  And no Scott Hahn Smile And the choice of included Swedes is also rather weird. I guess one should be grateful he at least included Origenes... No, I don't think this guy's definition of 'major' is quite the same as mine...

Rosie

Do you mean I can actually see the 'real' text somehow? I don't seem to be able to see anything but the table of contents and the index. And the number of hits.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 19045
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2010 6:51 PM

fgh:
Do you mean I can actually see the 'real' text somehow? I don't seem to be able to see anything but the table of contents and the index. And the number of hits.

Yes, you can see "real" text. You have to be logged in to your Amazon.com account to do it. But you can sign up for an Amazon.com account for free. If you've ever ordered anything from Amazon.com, you probably have one already.

For any book that has a "Search Inside This Book" feature (by all means not all of them do), you can type your search term in, and the links to the hits will show up under the number of hits:

Click on any one of those links to pages, and it will show you that page in the window to the right:

From there you can use the scroll bar, the zoom controls, and the Next/Prev page controls to navigate around within the book. For some books, Amazon will let you view 2 pages prior to the hit and 2 pages after the hit, and then you'll start seeing "this page is not included in the preview" or it will skip ahead to the next available page. But you can often work around this by doing a search for something else that is found on another page, and then keep paging next/prev from there. You will eventually hit an upper limit of the number of pages you're allowed to preview, but it's usually pretty large and you can get a great idea of what a book is like before purchasing it.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 10:07 AM

Rosie

That's exactly what I did the other day! Only when I do it, the search results are either black, and don't link to anywhere, or they are blue, but only take me to the index. And it's the same now. I even tried the exact same search you did, clicking on the exact same p 423-link, but I still only get to the index. Sad

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 19045
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 4:00 PM

fgh:

Rosie

That's exactly what I did the other day! Only when I do it, the search results are either black, and don't link to anywhere, or they are blue, but only take me to the index. And it's the same now. I even tried the exact same search you did, clicking on the exact same p 423-link, but I still only get to the index. Sad

You have an Amazon.com account and were definitely logged in to it? I know you're not allowed to see the preview stuff if you're not logged in. If you were, then I'm not sure what's up. I wonder if it matters what browser you're using. I was doing it in Internet Explorer 8.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 4:19 PM

Oh yes, I was most definitely logged in. I just switched computers, so it didn't happen automatically, which is why I know with absolute certainty that I couldn't even do a search until I'd figured out my settings and logged in manually. 

I'm on Mac / Safari.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 19045
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 26 2010 4:24 PM

fgh:
I'm on Mac / Safari.

Maybe that's it. Maybe Safari doesn't support the viewer that shows you preview pages. I believe at one point I had to download an add-on the first time I used it. Try Firefox, which has a Mac version, and see if that works. Otherwise I guess you're just out of luck.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 4:51 AM

Well, since I can see the table of contents and the index it must support the viewer. I tried looking for add-ons. and I tried Firefox. and I tried amazon.co.uk, but that didn't help either. Only today -- just when I intended to write a question to the Swedish MacWorld forum -- did I think of doing what, of course, I should have done immediately, instead of taking up your time: checking the Amazon help pages. It seems that for some (many, all?) books, it isn't enough to be logged in to see the 'real' text; you have to have actually bought something from them. And, of course, being in Sweden, I haven't. So I guess that's it. (And unfortunately Hermeneia seems to be the same.) Really annoying that Amazon can't tell me that 'You are not allowed to see this page', instead of 'Pages x-y are not included in this preview', which is obviously a lie since you can see them!

Thanks for trying, anyway. At least you now know what to answer the next person having the same problem.

(If there's someone out there who also hasn't bought from Amazon, but can see the text, please let me know.)

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 19045
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 6:10 AM

fgh:
It seems that for some (many, all?) books, it isn't enough to be logged in to see the 'real' text; you have to have actually bought something from them.

How unintuitive. Of course I've bought books from them so it never occurred to me that might be the issue. I'm glad you figured it out, but sorry you won't be able to see some preview pages of some books unless you buy something from Amazon.com. I guess they don't have a Swedish store-front yet (amazon.se)? Someone else appears to be squatting on that domain name.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 7:05 AM

"I guess they don't have a Swedish store-front yet"

As I understood it even that wouldn't have helped. You have to have bought from amazon.com, not .co.uk or '.se' or anything like that.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 7:31 AM

fgh:
Really annoying that Amazon can't tell me that 'You are not allowed to see this page', instead of 'Pages x-y are not included in this preview', which is obviously a lie since you can see them!

It is annoying that the error isn't better.

I bet being logged-in is legally necessary to allow the preview in the first place.  Amazon allows you to see just about any page in most of the preview-able books, then they limit it after you've viewed a certain number of pages.  If the "buy something first" rule wasn't there, then I could read a whole book online just by creating new accounts every time I hit the page limit for a book.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2010 10:20 AM

To get back to the topic that was discussed before I ran into trouble with Amazon:

I did some poking around in a sort-of-Baptist seminary library Friday (the only theological library I know of within 3 hours or so). I was mainly checking out commentary series, but I had a quick look at all the dictionaries with 'interpreter' or 'interpretation' in the title, as well.

It seems that for those of us who think people like Rashi, Maimonides and Nachmanides ought to be included in such a work, the Dictionary of Biblical Interpretation by Hayes is the one to buy. I didn't have the time to actually read the text, so I can't vouch for the quality of it, but at least there was a column or two on each. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available in Logos [yet?]. Though I guess the bright side of that is that I might be able to pick it up on pre-pub one day.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 121
Scott Yip | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2010 5:35 PM

I saw this thread discussing the DMBI, and I would like to ask if any guys know the depth of its articles when it compares with the "Bible Interpreters of the Twentieth Century"

If I just want to buy one, which one you suggest? Smile

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS