Be where?

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 157
James Garriss | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 13 2010 5:38 AM

One of the things I don't like about Wierbe's "Be" series is that the title doesn't help me know what book of the Bible the book is about.  Seems like this is a good place for some metadata.  Is there a way to see that when looking at my library, short of adding my own tags to everything?

Posts 5605
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 5:48 AM

James Garriss:

One of the things I don't like about Wierbe's "Be" series is that the title doesn't help me know what book of the Bible the book is about.  Seems like this is a good place for some metadata.  Is there a way to see that when looking at my library, short of adding my own tags to everything?

James you can use the subject field to see what book of the bible individual title is about.

But its a little bit messy so what I suggest (and I'm working on implementing myself now that you've raised the issue it edit the title:

Once you have changed the title you will see a note saying Catalog is being updated.

It should take less than a minute... and you new title will then be available to view in libarry

Ok off to change the rest of my titles... its much cleaner than the subject field and I don't have to turn on subject field to get to the information.

Posts 5605
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 5:56 AM

Andrew McKenzie:
Ok off to change the rest of my titles... its much cleaner than the subject field and I don't have to turn on subject field to get to the information.

All done didn't take too long and now looks much cleaner and informative...

Posts 53
Ryan Schildroth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 7:02 AM

Good information on the subject column and title editing. 

Alternatively to changing all the titles, you could add a tag on what Bible books the commentary covers.

MacBook Pro (Late 2011) | 2.3 GHz Core i5 | 1TB HD | 8GB RAM | 10.12 Sierra | Scholar's Library +

Posts 157
James Garriss | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 7:05 AM

Andrew McKenzie:
edit the title

Yeah, I had seen the subject and agree that it is a mess.  And editing the title is a good idea, certainly easy to read.  I was hoping for something even cleaner, something that would let me find all my commentaries on a given book at once.  Sigh.  I suppose I'll have to add my own tags after all.  Seems like that kind of metadata should just come with an electronic book, particularly an electronic commentary.  

Posts 62
James R. Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 10:12 AM

Andrew,

Maybe you can save me some frustration by telling me how in the world you get to here:

I just can't seem to click on anything that allows me to edit the title like this - either in the Library pane or by opening the resource and clicking in the info button.

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 10:14 AM

For what it is worth, if you open the library and type 'judges', 'Be Available' is at the top of the list.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 11:52 AM

James Garriss:
I was hoping for something even cleaner, something that would let me find all my commentaries on a given book at once.

You can do that. In your library do something like:

type:commentary subject:Jude

Bingo, all commentaries on Jude.

Posts 157
James Garriss | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 5:13 PM

Chris Roberts:

Most helpful, Chris, thank you.  Now if there was just a way to save this query so I could use it again and again (and not forget it).

Posts 5605
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 5:53 PM

James Garriss:

Chris Roberts:

Most helpful, Chris, thank you.  Now if there was just a way to save this query so I could use it again and again (and not forget it).

You can use the same query to create a collection.

Posts 19197
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 6:02 PM

James R. Adams:

Andrew,

Maybe you can save me some frustration by telling me how in the world you get to here:

I just can't seem to click on anything that allows me to edit the title like this - either in the Library pane or by opening the resource and clicking in the info button.

In the Library, you have to be in Browse mode (not Prioritize mode):

Then you'll see the  icon, right next to the View button:

Clicking on this will open up the info panel to the right, where you'll find an editable Title field, editable Abbreviated Title field, clickable rating stars, and editable tags. You can either click on the pencil icon next to the title, or just click on the Title text itself, and you'll be able to edit it. Click anywhere outside that text (or press Enter) to confirm your changes.

I too renamed my "Be" series commentaries for this very reason.

Posts 5605
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 6:02 PM

James R. Adams:

Andrew,

I using Logos 4 WIN, I would expect at this point  Logos 4 MAC would allow the same.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The basic steps are:

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 6:17 PM

Andrew McKenzie:

I using Logos 4 WIN, I would expect at this point  Logos 4 MAC would allow the same.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Unfortunately, this is wrong. Editing info like this is not yet possible in the Mac version. It should eventually be possible, but not yet.

Posts 5605
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 6:25 PM

Chris Roberts:

Andrew McKenzie:

Unfortunately, this is wrong. Editing info like this is not yet possible in the Mac version. It should eventually be possible, but not yet.

Thanks for the clarification Chris.. i hope  you MAC guys and girls get this sooner rather than later.  Is there a feature implementation comparison list somewhere ?

Posts 5605
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 6:28 PM

James Garriss:

Chris Roberts:

Not quite but if you go the following section on the wiki page on collections http://wiki.logos.com/Collections#Creating_Rules

... you can get further info on the library/collections filtering commands.  You could copy and paste this info into a note file to at least have it on hand.

Posts 62
James R. Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 7:07 PM

Chris Roberts:

. . . Editing info like this is not yet possible in the Mac version. It should eventually be possible, but not yet.

Thanks for clarifying this Chris. As much as I appreciate the attempts to help from my Windows brethren, I ended up really confused about why I couldn't get this done. And because this was all taking place in the "Logos 4 Mac" forum, it didn't occur to me that the help being offered didn't apply to me. I assumed that there was something wrong with me or my mouse or my poor little MacBook.

Maybe we need something in our Forum IDs that informs others which of the main "denominations" of OS we are using. Or if we are using both.

Posts 5605
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 7:16 PM

James R. Adams:

Chris Roberts:

. . . Editing info like this is not yet possible in the Mac version. It should eventually be possible, but not yet.

Thanks for clarifying this Chris. As much as I appreciate the attempts to help from my Windows brethren, I ended up really confused about why I couldn't get this done. And because this was all taking place in the "Logos 4 Mac" forum, it didn't occur to me that the help being offered didn't apply to me. I assumed that there was something wrong with me or my mouse or my poor little MacBook.

Maybe we need something in our Forum IDs that informs others which of the main "denominations" of OS we are using. Or if we are using both.

Apologies for confusing you James. Keep the idea tucked away for when you can do this... We could include this in our signature lines, but they are so limited in the amount of characters we can include, those of us who tend to jump in and help have filled our signature lines with helpful links....

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 7:16 PM

James R. Adams:

Since people see threads from the front Recent Topics list, they may not realize that they are responding to the PC or Mac versions. The breadcrumbs at the top indicates the forum, but who looks at that?

And the Mac version is close enough that many things that work on one will work on the other. The ultimate goal is essentially full parity, so instructions will work the same with either PC or Mac. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 8:29 PM

Chris Roberts:

And the Mac version is close enough that many things that work on one will work on the other. The ultimate goal is essentially full parity, so instructions will work the same with either PC or Mac. 

Logos 4 PC Library changes sync to Mac - Thankful for Be Series title change ideas:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 62
James R. Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 9:57 PM

No apology needed. I really do appreciate your willingness to help. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS