4.1 Release Candidate 1 (v4.10.4.5111) - New Features in Release Notes?

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3450
BillS | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 13 2010 3:25 PM

Hi Melissa,

I'd sure like to see Logos take credit for all the nifty new features by listing them in the release notes. All I saw were bug fixes, etc.

You folks are awesome!

The Grace & Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you!
Bill

W8.1 64bit, Office 2016
i7, 2.40GHz, 1Gb graphics, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD
HTC One M8, Android 6.21.605.3

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 3:33 PM

Not sure why they post the Release Candidate build notes in the regular Logos forums.  It's not an official release yet.  You still have to "Set Update Channel to Beta" to get it.

Melissa usually posts the full release notes with features when it becomes an official release.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Moving Logos between systems / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad T520

Posts 18075
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 3:46 PM

BillS:

I'd sure like to see Logos take credit for all the nifty new features by listing them in the release notes. All I saw were bug fixes, etc.

These are just the bug fixes since 4.1 Beta 12. They'll put out the complete release notes (which will be a cumulative set of all the new features and bugfixes) when 4.1 goes "gold." In the meantime, you can see them in stages, as they were implemented, from beta to beta, in the various beta release notes: http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Beta_Release_Notes

EDIT: They usually also put out a new "What's New in Logos 4.xx" linked in here: http://www.logos.com/support. So watch for it there as well. Now that we're into the RC stage, it should be just a couple of weeks before it ships, barring any unforeseen disasters.

Posts 4161
Disciple of Christ (doc) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 4:49 PM

Todd Phillips:

Not sure why they post the Release Candidate build notes in the regular Logos forums.  It's not an official release yet.  You still have to "Set Update Channel to Beta" to get it.

Melissa usually posts the full release notes with features when it becomes an official release.

Given the need to Update Channel to Beta,  I understand your thinking.. with Libroinx there were no such channels so one could adopt an RC having to be concerned with 'Channels'.

Posts 401
Timothy Ha | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 4:57 PM

Rosie Perera:
Now that we're into the RC stage, it should be just a couple of weeks before it ships, barring any unforeseen disasters.

Let's hope the developers will solve problems with speed.  At least simple things - opening notes, switching between tabs should be without big delays.  Otherwise Logos4 cannot be a reference program at all and Biblia.com+browser will be better.

JesusChrist.ru - Russian Christian Portal, with free Bible software; Timh.ru - blog

Posts 11757
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 4:58 PM

I've been collecting the "New Features" from the beta releases for my own use. Here's the list I made:

• Printing
    • "Print/Export" added to panel menu for Resources. (See known issues below.)
    • "Print/Export" added to panel menu for Notes, Passage List, Prayer List, Reading Plan, and Word Find Puzzle documents.
    • "Print/Export" added to panel menu for Biblical People/Places/Things.
    • "Print/Export" added to panel menu for Cited By, Collections, History, Power Lookup, and Self Tests tools. (Self Test exams and quizzes are printable/exportable as well.)
    • "Print/Export" added to panel menu for Basic, Bible, and Morph Search. Images in search results exported in HTML, RTF and XPS formats only. (Syntax search isn't supported yet.)
    • Print/Export supported for most sections of the Passage and Exegetical Guides and Bible Word Study.
    • "Bibliography Only" export has been integrated with Print/Export panel for Clippings and Collections.
    • Media resource Print function, on panel menu and context menu, has been moved to the Print/Export panel.
    • More Guide sections supported, such as Media Resources*, Topics*, and Web* sections in Passage Guide, and Preposition Use section in Bible Word Study. (*See Known Issues.)
    • Resource printing: "Use these sections:" option has been added, enabling printing of multiple content entries.
    • Added a Citation Style chooser to Bibliography export for Clippings and Collections.
    • Added "iCalendar" (.ics) export for Reading Plans.
    • Additional Passage Guide sections supported: Music and Compare Versions.
    • Headers and Footers are supported.
    • Image scaling implemented in RTF exports.
    • Implemented panel size recall.
    • Moving through pages in preview can now be done using keyboard arrow keys and Page Up/Page Down keys.
    • Passage Analysis can now be printed/exported.
    • Clause Visualization resources (e.g., "Cascadia Syntax Graphs of the NT") can now be printed/exported.
    • Home and End keys will navigate to beginning and end of preview pages.
    • Implemented WYSIWYG printing of Search results.
    • Search Analysis view can now be printed (visible results only). WYSIWYG support of the data grid will be supported in a future beta.
    • Resource Printing
      • Logos resources can now be exported as well as printed.
      • Logos 4 Help can be printed and exported.
      • "Select All" and "Clear All" options available when right-clicking on a book, chapter, headword, etc.-any section that has subsections.
    • Graph Bible Search Results print/export implemented. (See known issue below.)
    • Highlighting panel can be printed or exported to XPS Document.
    • When printing a Reading Plan that is in Calendar view, the calendars are printed.
    • Image exporting added to Passage Analysis tools.
    • Syntax Search printing and exporting implemented.
    • "BibTeX" and "RIS" file formats are supported for bibliography exports of Clippings and Collections.
    • Image exporting added to Graph Bible Search Results.
  • Sentence Diagram document
    • Importing ('Import Sentence Diagrams' command)
    • New shapes: Ellipse, Tree Node, and several Goalposts
    • Locations at which shapes can be "attached" to other shapes are denoted by empty circles on mouse hover
    • Ctrl will temporarily disable snapping/attaching while dragging a shape
    • Locations at which shapes can be resized are denoted by smaller, filled circles on mouse hover
    • Shift toggles shape symmetry while resizing (for Arcs, Brackets, Ellipses, Rectangles, and Tree Nodes)
    • Lines constrain to 15 degree increments while drawing/resizing by default; Shift bypasses this constraint
    • Drawings can be made via the drawing mode or via right-click while in the Arrow mode
    • Gestures (drawings will attempt to be recognized as a shape)
    • Shape composition (multiple strokes/gestures will be composed into the represented logical shape)
    • Esc will clear the current input mode (text, line, or drawing) and switch back to arrow mode
    • Multi-line textbox support (Shift+Enter will force a newline in a textbox)
    • Zoom (Ctrl+Mousewheel, Ctrl+Plus, Ctrl+Minus, Ctrl+0)
    • Ctrl+click will multi-select
    • The arrow endcap is a style that can be applied to lines, instead of a distinct shape
    • "Merge | Split" to join or separate words added to tab toolbar.
    • Pagination support (pagination preview lines, page size options).
    • "Print/Export" added.
    • Text and line colors can be changed.
    • RTL mode available for inserted passages.
    • Copy/Paste within diagrams is now available from the context menu or by pressing Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V. Currently, items copied from a diagram can only be pasted into that document or another Sentence Diagram document.
    • Alternate text options are now available from a drop-down when an interlinear Bible, such as the NA27Int, is the selected resource.
    • Documents are included in My Content sections of Basic Search when surface text, as well as underlying data pasted from ClauseVisualizer, is found.
    • Implemented new "Insert Passage" user interface.
    • Selected Clause Visualizer content can be copied and pasted into a Sentence Diagram document as actual lines/text objects.
    • Implemented Settings/Preferences.
      • The following settings are saved globally:
        • Insert passage type
        • Show page guides
        • Always show shape handles
        • Default text/line styles
      • The following settings are saved per document:
        • Page size
        • Page orientation
        • Use informal lines
        • Text display mode
        • RTL shape insertion
    • Inserted passages from Hebrew text break on word number.
    • Text Alignment options (Left, Center, Right) are available on 'Text' drop-down.
    • "Copy" context menu option (Ctrl+C) supports copy/paste into other applications. The diagrams are pasted in as images.
    • Keyboard shortcuts implemented to apply Bold (Ctrl+B), Italic (Ctrl+I), and Underline (Ctrl+U) formatting to text.
    • Margin settings have been added to the 'Page' drop-down on toolbar. This setting is carried over to the Print/Export panel.
    • Pasting text will create a single text shape with the pasted text.
    • Text can be pasted from Logos resources, notes, etc., and from other applications.
    • Double-arrowhead line style implemented.
    • Double- and single-arrowhead line styles are added to toolbox.
    • Double- and single-arrowhead line styles are applied to other shapes when selected.
    • "Fit to page" option added to Print/Export panel.
    • "Send to Sentence Diagram" added to panel menu of Harmony resources, such as "Eusebian Canons." Either the visible display region or selected text's section will be inserted into a new diagram.
    •  
  • Shortcut Labels
    • Right-click on a shortcut on the shortcuts bar to see options.
    • Custom icons available. (More coming soon)
    • New shortcut data is being synchronized, with older versions prevented from downloading the new shortcuts.
  • Copy to clipboard
    • Implemented a more fine-grained page location for "Copy location as: URL..."
  • Graph Bible Search Results
    • Additional analyzer categories available.
  • Highlighting
    • Added tooltip with keyboard shortcut when hovering over Erase (Ctrl+Shift+K).
  • Passage Guide
    • "Lectionaries" section available to Add to current guide or custom guide.
  • Passage List
    • "Add passages from: ... another passage list," to append one passage list to another, now appends existing headings as well.
    • "Add passages from: URL" will add passages from a specified web site, adding "http://" if necessary.
    • Ctrl+V now pastes passages into list, just as the "Add passages from: ... clipboard" option.
    • Find (Ctrl+F) added to Passage List document panel. It will filter on references only. (To search surface text within a passage list, use the list as a filter in Search.)
    • "Full | Compact" added to panel to toggle the visibility of Passage List content.
    • "Reference" box available at end of current passages to quickly add new references. Press Alt+Enter to clear and place cursor in box.
    • Passage Lists are now indexed and results are included in 'My Content'.
    • "Add passages from: ... highlighter style" implemented.
  • Startup
    • Hidden resources are now documented in the Logos4.log. This may help both users and support staff to diagnose why a particular resource is missing.
  • Keyboard shortcuts
    • Ctrl+F11 is a toggle to float or dock a panel.
  • Bible Word Study
    • "Settings" drop-down to choose Bible is now available for the Translation, Greek Words, and Hebrew Words sections.
    • Multiple Translation sections can be added.
  • Search
    • Tags and Ratings collections have been separated from user-defined Collections on the resource chooser drop-down. "Tags and Ratings" follows "Collections."
    • "Match case" and "Match all word forms" search panel settings are preserved by Favorites/Bookmarks and Layouts.
    • "Match case" and "Match all word forms" search parameters are added to 'logos4' URI (e.g., logos4:Search;kind=Bible;q=Love;match=case).
    • Reading Lists in Topic section of Basic Search results can now be printed and exported.
  • Rich Text Editor
    • Keyboard Shortcuts added:
      • Bulleted list = "Ctrl+."
      • Numbered List = "Ctrl+/"
      • Increase Indentation + "Ctrl+M"
      • Decrease Indentation = "Ctrl+Shift+M"
  • Resource Panel
    • Authors/editors and copyright info has been added to title and description in the Reverse Interlinear section of the "About" information panel.
  • Gestures implemented for Logos 4. Click on right mouse button and drag in the directions indicated below to initiate various functions.
    • left = Go Back
    • right = Go Forward
    • up = Previous Article
    • down = Next Article
    • down, right = Close Tab (See Known Issues.)
    • down, up = New Tab
    • "C" shape = Toggle Contents Pane on or off
    • "star" shape = Add to Favorites (try this: up right, down right, up left, right, down left)
    • up/right diagonal = Full Screen Mode
    • down/left diagonal = Escape Full Screen Mode
    • down/right, down/left (right angle bracket or 'greater than') = Start Read Aloud (See Known Issues.)
    • square (down, right, up, left) = Stop Read Aloud
  • "Logos Smart Tags" for Office 2003 and above implemented (under 'Additional Actions' in Office 2010). See the Logos Smart Tags support article for more information on this feature.
  • Reading Plan
    • Added hyperlinks to reading plan items in appointment descriptions for plans exported to Outlook.

Posts 4625
Forum MVP
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 5:20 PM

Peace to you, Mark -- and Joy in the Lord!   *smile*

Just a very big Thank You for your efforts.  They are helpful; and they are appreciated.  God Bless You for your Love for Him (responding to His Love for you in Jesus!) and for your Love for God's People, including Logos Forum Brothers and sisters!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 3450
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 9:39 PM

Rosie Perera:
These are just the bug fixes since 4.1 Beta 12.

Thanks Rosie... I realized that... Smile By posting the RC in the L4 forum (even tho' also posted in beta), I thought it was underselling their accomplishment by not listing all the new stuff. If the RC announcement had been posted only in the beta forum, I'd have remained silent. Zip it!

Blessings!

Bill

W8.1 64bit, Office 2016

Posts 3450
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 13 2010 9:40 PM

Mark Barnes:
"New Features" from the beta releases . .... Here's the list I made:

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

This is a significant RC!

Thanks for posting, Mark.

And THANK YOU, Logos, for your efforts on our behalf!

Bill

W8.1 64bit, Office 2016

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 4:50 AM

Mark Barnes:
I've been collecting the "New Features" from the beta releases for my own use. Here's the list I made:

Hey Mark, is there any chance one of your excellent videos might be coming on all the new features in 4.1? I for one would offer a prayer of blessing and thanksgiving in return!   Angel

Posts 94
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 5:05 AM

Is the Logos 4.1 feature set what we can expect in the Logos Mac release on the 1st of October?

Simon

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 6:17 AM

Simon:

Is the Logos 4.1 feature set what we can expect in the Logos Mac release on the 1st of October?

Simon

No.  The Mac release has v4.0d features only.  Logos 4.1 for Mac will be a subsequent release.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Moving Logos between systems / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad T520

Posts 11757
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 6:44 AM

Dominick Sela:
Hey Mark, is there any chance one of your excellent videos might be coming on all the new features in 4.1?

I was just waiting for feature freeze, which normally at RC stage, so it's now on my to-do list! I think it might be a long video though. I reckon this is the biggest update we've had so far, and printing has to be at least as eagerly anticipated as reverse interlinears in 4.0b.

Posts 18075
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 8:57 AM

Mark Barnes:

Dominick Sela:
Hey Mark, is there any chance one of your excellent videos might be coming on all the new features in 4.1?

I was just waiting for feature freeze, which normally at RC stage, so it's now on my to-do list! I think it might be a long video though. I reckon this is the biggest update we've had so far, and printing has to be at least as eagerly anticipated as reverse interlinears in 4.0b.

You could split it up into two videos. The new printing/exporting feature deserves a video of its own, and the rest could go in a second video. Makes the to-do task less overwhelming, too...

Posts 87
Ray D | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 10:19 AM

Timothy Ha:

Let's hope the developers will solve problems with speed.  At least simple things - opening notes, switching between tabs should be without big delays.  Otherwise Logos4 cannot be a reference program at all and Biblia.com+browser will be better.

Yes +1

I couldn't wait any longer, so I downloaded the RC last night. Love the new features, but the disappointing part in that I noticed an immediate degradation in speed as it relates to overall interface (screen painting, etc.). Yikes!! Surprise That's no fun at all, I sure hope it gets fixed. In case you are wondering, my laptop has tons of horsepower and ram and high end graphics, so I don't suspect that's the issue. Must be the software.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 2:27 PM

I just updated my production 4.0d SR-2 install, and it runs just as fast here...

Posts 11757
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 2:58 PM

I've suffered no ill-effects either. Are you sure it's not indexing?

Posts 3450
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 4:05 PM

Hi Mark,

I, too, have experienced a slowdown--1st noticed for sure around beta 11. Not indexing.

Bill

W8.1 64bit, Office 2016

Posts 87
Ray D | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 8:17 PM

Mark Barnes:

I've suffered no ill-effects either. Are you sure it's not indexing?

It was still slow this morning - long after the initial index was complete. I did however rebuild the index from scratch and now it appears to be a bit zippier. Not sure if the index rebuild had anything to do that or not. Anyway, glad the screen painting performance is comparable to where is was before the update.

Posts 114
Joel J. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 9:28 PM

Where is the print/export function?  Do I need to do something special to download the beta?  Or is it out of the beta?  

An automatic download just downloaded (9/14/10), but I don't see the print/export option.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Copyright 1992-2015 Faithlife / Logos Bible Software.