Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 79
George Ruddell | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 14 2010 5:25 PM

Hello Everyone

I am a Logos 4.0 user. However, my first Logos package was Logos 3.0. I purchased the system three years ago. I have all of the set up disks. I have a friend who I am trying to encourage to purchase Logos - he is presently a Bibleworks user. I have offered to give him my Logos 3.0 Scholar's Edition set-up disks, etc. hoping that he might be able to install them on his laptop and try using Logos. My question is, can I do this legitimately? If so, is it straightforward to install Logos 3.0? Are there any pitfalls my friend should be aware of?

I would value any advice / help.

Thank you for reading my post.

George Ruddell (in Northern Ireland)

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 5:44 PM

George Ruddell:

Hello Everyone

I am a Logos 4.0 user. However, my first Logos package was Logos 3.0. I purchased the system three years ago. I have all of the set up disks. I have a friend who I am trying to encourage to purchase Logos - he is presently a Bibleworks user. I have offered to give him my Logos 3.0 Scholar's Edition set-up disks, etc. hoping that he might be able to install them on his laptop and try using Logos. My question is, can I do this legitimately? If so, is it straightforward to install Logos 3.0? Are there any pitfalls my friend should be aware of?

If you upgraded from Logos 3 (Libronix) to Logos4, then it is not legitimate to do this. If you bought Logos4 without the benefit of upgrading from Logos 3, then you can transfer your license to him through Logos for a small fee.

Installing from an old CD will probably mean that the program needs to be updated. This is particularly true if your friend is running an OS later than XP, though it may be required for installations newer than XP SP1 (I don't remember). If you need them, I can give you the upgrade scripts (which must be run over the internet).

I suspect that some have been introduced to Logos in an 'informal' way like this, and it makes a lot of sense to "try before you buy." But I would not offer a legal opinion, or venture to speak for Logos about whether they would approve of what you want to do for your friend.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 5899
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 5:50 PM

George Ruddell:

Hello Everyone

If you were to give him your license file so he could use your resources  then this would not be be a legitimate option.   If he was installing the software and creating his own account then, this would be ok but  he would not have access to any of the tools and resources Logos provides.  He may as well download the free engine Libronix 3 engine from http://www.logos.com/downloadsas that is all he would be getting.  There is a couple of free resources on logos site but nothing that is going to showcase the product.  There is a free e-bible demo with six unlocked books but that is still pretty limited but its the best legitimate way a person can get a look at the program that I know of, without them purchasing their own license to materials and tools:

http://www.nelsonministryservices.com/nms/dept.asp?dept_id=5076&ref=11537

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 14 2010 11:21 PM

As others have pointed out, it's not legitimate to pass on your older version disks to someone else if you've upgraded from them, since the license still belongs to you (your purchase price for L3 was taken into account in your upgrade price to L4 resources).

So if you can't do that, what I'd suggest is invite him over someday for a whiz-bang demo of what you can do in Logos. Take some time to prepare ahead of time what you're going to show him, so he doesn't have to wait while you figure out what you're going to do next, and so you can best show off the most impressive features and resources. Or if you want some ready-made demo videos to show him, try Mark Barnes's series of videos on preparing a sermon with Logos 4 (http://www.4-14.org.uk/logos-bible-software-tutorial-videos/preparing-a-sermon-with-logos), Mike Heiser's sample video on Hebrew Word Studies from the "Learn to Use Biblical Greek and Hebrew with Logos Bible Software" series, and Johnny Cisneros' sample video on Greek Word Studies in same, or some of the other user-created videos on using Logos in real life situations: http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Video_Tutorials

Also, if you do manage to convince your friend to buy Logos, be sure he cites your name (email address of your Logos account to be sure) as the person who referred him, as I believe you get a referral credit for doing that.

Posts 79
George Ruddell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 12:47 AM

Hello Everyone

Thank you very much for your advice and help. I appreciate it.

George

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS