What is the solution?

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2951
Tes | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 15 2010 3:21 PM

I have  the inductive study bible note of Moris P.in his book he tried to show how to arrange  the books according to their type,but  my problem is I have many books ,which even am not aware whether I have them or not. Is there any solution for this or is there some one who has already arranged his  books in his library according to their type.Normaly ,Logos should have made a solution for it.I need help about this issue.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 3:24 PM

Tes,

I believe you are considering collections?  If so this Wiki may help: Collections

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 15 2010 10:37 PM

Hi Tes, I don't have Morris Proctor's book that you're referring to. But I know he recommended categorizing commentaries according to type, and he posted a list of the categories he recommends for the different commentary sets: here. Is that arrangement by type what you are referring to?

You said you have many books, and you're sometimes not even aware whether you have a book or not. You can find out by looking in your Library. You can arrange it by title or type to help you match up your list of books with Morris's list. If you don't see the Type column, right click on the heading of any column, and click on Type to set the checkmark next to it:

The Type field is used by Logos internally for certain things, but it also is a rough categorization of your books into types like what Morris might be referring to if he's talking about more than commentaries. I did see another list on Morris's website of different categories of Christian books:

https://www.mpseminars.com/index.cfm/pageid/1184/index.html

Maybe this is what you're asking about, from the Inductive Bible Study notes?

You can make collections of all the different types of books (or commentaries), as Thomas said, but first you're going to probably need to tag them appropriately. This is going to be the major task, and it will be a somewhat subjective decision in some cases as to which category a book falls in. You don't need to categorize every single one of your books. There might be many Monographs (a default type of book that encompasses most books which are just for reading or scholarly study) which don't fit in any of the categories Morris suggests. That's fine. Just leave them without a category. You also can make up your own categories. You don't need to strictly follow whatever Morris suggests.

Unfortunately there is no way for users to share their tagging with each other at this time, though that is something Logos has talked about adding in the future (a global communal tag field, kind of like tagging on Delicious or one of those other social bookmarking sites).

Posts 2951
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 2:48 AM

Rosie Perera:

Hi Tes, I don't have Morris Proctor's book that you're referring to. But I know he recommended categorizing commentaries according to type, and he posted a list of the categories he recommends for the different commentary sets: here. Is that arrangement by type what you are referring to?

You said you have many books, and you're sometimes not even aware whether you have a book or not. You can find out by looking in your Library. You can arrange it by title or type to help you match up your list of books with Morris's list. If you don't see the Type column, right click on the heading of any column, and click on Type to set the checkmark next to it:

The Type field is used by Logos internally for certain things, but it also is a rough categorization of your books into types like what Morris might be referring to if he's talking about more than commentaries. I did see another list on Morris's website of different categories of Christian books:

https://www.mpseminars.com/index.cfm/pageid/1184/index.html

Maybe this is what you're asking about, from the Inductive Bible Study notes?

You can make collections of all the different types of books (or commentaries), as Thomas said, but first you're going to probably need to tag them appropriately. This is going to be the major task, and it will be a somewhat subjective decision in some cases as to which category a book falls in. You don't need to categorize every single one of your books. There might be many Monographs (a default type of book that encompasses most books which are just for reading or scholarly study) which don't fit in any of the categories Morris suggests. That's fine. Just leave them without a category. You also can make up your own categories. You don't need to strictly follow whatever Morris suggests.

Unfortunately there is no way for users to share their tagging with each other at this time, though that is something Logos has talked about adding in the future (a global communal tag field, kind of like tagging on Delicious or one of those other social bookmarking sites).

Hi, Rosie, thank you,You are right , I am going to follow your advice.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 2951
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 2:56 AM

Thomas Black:

Tes,

I believe you are considering collections?  If so this Wiki may help: Collections

Hi, Thomas ,yes It was what I was looking for ,but it is a huge task and ,as Rosie mentioned ,It is difficult to catagorize the books,which one belongs to the group and ,there are some books which are not even frequently needed,or occassionaly might be read.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 3:31 AM

Tes:

Thomas Black:

Tes,

Hi, Thomas ,yes It was what I was looking for ,but it is a huge task and ,as Rosie mentioned ,It is difficult to catagorize the books,which one belongs to the group and ,there are some books which are not even frequently needed,or occassionaly might be read.

It is a big task Tes.  I am still working through my library, but one of the benefits is it helps you to get to know what books you do have in your library. Morris suggestions are a great place to get started.

Posts 2951
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 7:22 AM

Andrew McKenzie:

Tes:

Thomas Black:

Tes,

It is a big task Tes.  I am still working through my library, but one of the benefits is it helps you to get to know what books you do have in your library. Morris suggestions are a great place to get started.

HI Andrew, I would be glad, if I could have the chance of getting arranged  my Library, It is as if someone sails in the sea  without a compass, or I can say ,it seems to me ,when I buy a book ,it is just like a stronger fish swallows  the  weaker one. After some time, I forget the book, and start  to look for a new one to buy ? It is difficult to remember, I don’t know what kind of possibility would simplify it?

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 7:53 AM

Tes:

HI Andrew, I would be glad, if I could have the chance of getting arranged  my Library, It is as if someone sails in the sea  without a compass, or I can say ,it seems to me ,when I buy a book ,it is just like a stronger fish swallows  the  weaker one. After some time, I forget the book, and start  to look for a new one to buy ? It is difficult to remember, I don’t know what kind of possibility would simplify it?

Hi Tes, I have the same experience.

I think spending a good deal of time categorizing your library is part of the solution. Also just spending time looking at the books, familiarizing yourself with what is in them (their Tables of Contents, summary in the info pane). Think of if you had a room in your house that was completely devoted to bookshelves with books on them. How you would love to spend time in that room, perusing the book bindings, lovingly taking a book or two off the shelf every day and poking through them. You would know your library from building up familiarity with what you already owned.

It's a bit easier with physical books, because you've probably acquired them slowly over a longer period of time, and have built up that familiarity as you go. Also you can see them all in front of you every time you walk into your library room. Now with Logos, we buy one bundle and suddenly have 19 new books in our library. Or we upgrade to a new base package and suddenly have 400+ new books in our library. It's overwhelming. But the principle still applies. Spend time with your books, familiarizing yourself with them.

Another idea is set yourself goals to actually read some of the books in your library. Many of them are reference books and are not suitable for reading all the way through, but many are. Some of the works of theology, history, biography. Pick one in an area of interest and start reading it this week. Use highlighting to engage with the book interactively. Make notes to yourself (using Notes) as you read it. You might want to set up a Reading Plan to ensure you keep reading it on a schedule, but I personally think that's too much pressure to put on yourself. Just read and enjoy, at a pace that feels comfortable to you. Don't let a whole week go by without reading some more in it, because then you'll lose momentum. But otherwise, relax about it and learn for the joy of learning.

As for the other books that are more reference-like (not the type to be read cover to cover), practice serendipity. Jump to random places in a dictionary that you're interested in getting to know better, and read a whole entry. Or do random searches on some person or theological concept that you'd like to read something about and read an entire chapter that you find this way. Or use the FSD command (facilitate serendipitous discovery) if you want to let Logos and random chance completely dictate what you're going to land on. Drag it onto your Shortcut bar (the default icon looks like this: ) so that you can use it every day to discover something else in your Library which you haven't looked at yet. Some finds might be less interesting than others. Just skip it and try it again.

And always remember our primary focus is not on accumulating more books for our library or getting to know the ones we already have: http://wiki.logos.com/Staying_Focussed

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 5:48 PM

Andrew McKenzie:

Indeed.  I've only created a few collections - and that was somewhat of a learning experience.  I just want to point out that when you add more resources, theoretically those resources can be added automatically to an existing collection.  That depends on the TYPE of the new resources and the RULES you used in your collections.  As long Logos apply a standard, consistent taxonomy to classify resources, and as long as human errors are kept to a minimum, collections should grow as you add new resources. - theoretically. The rules and the behaviors they spawn in Logos are not intuitive.  I'll take much practice to begin to understand cause-and-effect from the rules.

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 5:50 PM

David L Bailey:
As long Logos apply a standard, consistent taxonomy to classify resources, and as long as human errors are kept to a minimum, collections should grow as you add new resources. - theoretically.

The only exception I would make about this is that if rules you use for your collections rely upon tagging, then when you add new resource to your library you need to ensure you add the appropriate tags so they will be included in the collections  you want.

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 16 2010 5:54 PM

Andrew McKenzie:
The only exception I would make about this is that if rules you use for your collections rely upon tagging

Ah, yes, you are correct, sir.  I forgot about tagging.

Posts 2951
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 3:37 PM

Rosie Perera:
Or do random searches on some person or theological concept that you'd like to read something about and read an entire chapter that you find this way. Or use the FSD command (facilitate serendipitous discovery) if you want to let Logos and random chance completely dictate what you're going to land on. Drag it onto your Shortcut bar (the default icon looks like this: ) so that you can use it every day to discover something else in your Library which you haven't looked at yet. Some finds might be less interesting than others. Just skip it and try it again

Hi, Rosie thank you for your advice,but I have no idea about  the above quoted.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 4:43 PM

Rosie Perera:
And always remember our primary focus is not on accumulating more books for our library or getting to know the ones we already have: http://wiki.logos.com/Staying_Focussed

I'm not sure they'll quote you on the Pre-Pub page but this is very true.

Rosie Perera:
Or use the FSD command (facilitate serendipitous discovery) if you want to let Logos and random chance completely dictate what you're going to land on. Drag it onto your Shortcut bar

This has to be my most forgotten about Logos 4 feature without a doubt so before I forget again, you've convinced me to add it to my toolbar.... might come in handy for those moments where I just want something to read, without it being for a specific purpose.   Wonder how this links in with the "Book of the Day" code, refreshing you home page seems to generate a new "Book of the Day" so it to is facilitating serendipitous discovery.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 5:23 PM

FSD? I tried shaking my computer and nothing happened. Can't wait for that shake to Shuffle feature :-)

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 6:10 PM

Tes:

Rosie Perera:
Or do random searches on some person or theological concept that you'd like to read something about and read an entire chapter that you find this way. Or use the FSD command (facilitate serendipitous discovery) if you want to let Logos and random chance completely dictate what you're going to land on. Drag it onto your Shortcut bar (the default icon looks like this: ) so that you can use it every day to discover something else in your Library which you haven't looked at yet. Some finds might be less interesting than others. Just skip it and try it again

Hi, Rosie thank you for your advice,but I have no idea about  the above quoted.

Philip Spitzer:

FSD? I tried shaking my computer and nothing happened. Can't wait for that shake to Shuffle feature :-)

Yes, "facilitate serendipitous discovery" (abbreviated FSD) is a real, but undocumented, Logos command. It will open a random resource from your Library to a random location. Well, it's not documented in the Help file, but it's documented on the wiki (http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Commands). It's a great way to become familiar with what you've got in your Library that you might not have discovered yet.

Tes, or anyone who doesn't know: "serendipitous" is the adjectival form of "serendipity" which means: an aptitude for making fortunate discoveries (of "interesting items of information or unexpected proofs of one's theories; things unsought") by accident; the occurrence of such discoveries; an instance of making such a discovery.

This word has one of the best etymologies I've ever seen, in the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language: "We are indebted to the English author Horace Walpole for the word serendipity, which he coined in one of the 3,000 or more letters on which his literary reputation primarily rests. In a letter of January 28, 1754, Walpole says that 'this discovery, indeed, is almost of that kind which I call Serendipity, a very expressive word.' Walpole formed the word on an old name for Sri Lanka, Serendip. He explained that this name was part of the title of 'a silly fairy tale, called The Three Princes of Serendip: as their highnesses traveled, they were always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of things which they were not in quest of....'"

It's one of my favorite words. My mother used to use it. When we were out and about or on a long car trip, we'd often stop somewhere we had not planned on going and find it to be a pleasant unexpected discovery; that was serendipity at work!

So, try typing facilitate serendipitous discovery (or just fsd) into your Logos command bar and see what happens. If you like this, you can create a shortcut icon for it by dragging the command from the dropdown below the command bar onto your Shortcut Bar.

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 6:23 PM

Philip Spitzer:
I tried shaking my computer and nothing happened.

Philip, your laptop is not an Etch-a-Sketch. Smile

(* click to watch the Etch-a-Sketch video, BTW; it's awesome!)

Posts 2951
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 11:16 PM

Rosie Perera:
So, try typing facilitate serendipitous discovery (or just fsd) into your Logos command bar and see what happens. If you like this, you can create a shortcut icon for it by dragging the command from the dropdown below the command bar onto your Shortcut Bar

Wow thank you Rosie,I have doen exactly as you have mentioned it and I like it.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 2694
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 17 2010 11:24 PM

Rosie Perera:

Philip Spitzer:
I tried shaking my computer and nothing happened.

Philip, your laptop is not an Etch-a-Sketch. Smile

(* click to watch the Etch-a-Sketch video, BTW; it's awesome!)

LOL, I had an etchasketch

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 2951
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 2:27 PM

Rosie Perera:
Logos and random chance completely dictate what you're going to land on. Drag it onto your Shortcut bar (the default icon looks like this: ) so that you can use it every day to discover something else in your Library which you haven't looked at yet. Some finds might be less interesting than others. Just skip it and try it again

Wow Rosie,excellent ,I have discovered now  a very important book,which is even hard to find it by reading its title.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 2:34 PM

Tes:

Wow Rosie,excellent ,I have discovered now  a very important book,which is even hard to find it by reading its title.

I am happy for you, Tes. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS