Page 1 of 3 (59 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 58 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 7 2009 1:08 PM

Apparently, according to an email I received today Logos has decided to only directly market everything it produces. No more resellers competing for the Logos dollar, I guess. Here's the content:

*****LOGOS Bible Software Alert*****

Logos Bible Software has elected to transition out of ALL distribution and reseller relationships!

*Effective October 31st 2009

What does this means for Our Customers?

• This might be the last chance to buy Logos Software packages at 25% off!

• All Logos Base Packages and Add-on books must be purchased directly from Logos after October 31st 2009

This came in an email from discountbible.com.

Need I say that I see this as a disturbing development? And speak of the irony of the timing. Halloween will now be a night of terror for all Logos users.

I'm sure Logos as a 'good' reason for this. Users who have only noticed the growing prices of Logos products can now no longer hope to find a dealer who will offer them for less. Not a good development.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2009 1:34 PM

There are some things I just don't understand about business.  This is one of them. 

What does this mean for selling Logos at the local bookstore?  It sounds like that's over.

I just don't get it.  Huh?

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2009 2:03 PM

Thomas Black:

There are some things I just don't understand about business.  This is one of them. 

What does this mean for selling Logos at the local bookstore?  It sounds like that's over.

I just don't get it.  Huh?

I'm curious as to what it means for packages already on the shelf. are they requiring all retailers to take them down...

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2009 2:03 PM

Mark A. Smith:
Logos Bible Software has elected to transition out of ALL distribution and reseller relationships!

I'm guessing, by the sound of this, that Logos is just moving their retail distribution to a separate company. Perhaps even a spin-off company wholly owned by Logos.

Just a guess...

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2009 2:42 PM

Umm, Lemme think about this.  Hmm

Could that gathering cloud on the horizon be Logos 4.0 based on cloud computing??? 

If it is, I guess that spells the demise of fine resellers like Nehemiah software, Rejoice Christian Software and the like. Bittersweet development?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 70
Rodney Prickett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2009 2:46 PM

Lifeway as not had a base package on shelf for some time.

Posts 774
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2009 3:09 PM

I don't make it into actual bookstores very often anymore, but it seems like I have seen less and less software in general there, but especially Logos. A lot of the stuff they have is out of date, too.

This only bothers me because it reduces competition, and that usually leads to higher prices.

But this is Logos, so maybe not.

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 33850
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2009 3:51 PM

Pastor Jerry Bush:
This only bothers me because it reduces competition, and that usually leads to higher prices.

Come on all you half-emptiers; it means we don't have to spend our time shopping around for the best price. Cool

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2009 4:14 PM

Lifeway bookstore on the Moody Bible Institute campus has a few.

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2009 4:19 PM

I'm not sure whether I should share this before Halloween, but can't you see? Isn't it obvious? First, Zondervan joins in. Then, resellers are eliminated. It's all moving toward the one-worldwide-Bible-software company. And soon we will be wearing the software in our hands through iphone. WATCH OUT! BEWARE of the mark! (evil laughter)...

Disclaimer: this is a joke. this is a joke. this is a joke. this is a joke.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2009 5:14 PM

Matthew C Jones:

Umm, Lemme think about this.  Hmm

Could that gathering cloud on the horizon be Logos 4.0 based on cloud computing??? 

If it is, I guess that spells the demise of fine resellers like Nehemiah software, Rejoice Christian Software and the like. Bittersweet development?

It does make one think. Especially combined with today's blog post:

License and Registration Please . . .

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 41
RichGrif | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2009 6:40 PM

I inquired of Rejoice Software about their ability to deliver the upcoming Tyndale Commentary and received the following reply:

Hi Richard

Yes, the announcement only pertains to products published by Logos. In this instance, the Tyndale set is being published by InterVarsity Press. We haven't sold any Logos-published products in several years. The Libronix products that we carry are being made available by the print publishers who have decided to license the Libronix technology, and then produce their own product. For example, Baker Book House publishes their own material in Libronix format, and they have produced several products that we carry: Sproul, Geisler, Baker NT Commentary, Baker Exegetical, and these products are completely unrelated to any decisions that Logos, the company, makes regarding their own published materials. We stopped offering Logos published materials about 3 years ago. But we have continued to make Libronix products available from Baker Book House, and in this case, IVP (as well as many others, like AMG's Bible Essentials), and will continue to offer IVP products like The Essential IVP Ref. Collection, Bible Speaks Today, etc.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Michael White

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2009 7:30 PM

Oh well then, nothing to see.  Move along.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2009 7:47 PM

Thomas Black:

Oh well then, nothing to see.  Move along.

You mean now I have to come up with something else to complain about? that stinks.

Posts 411
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2009 9:18 PM

Philippians 2:14

14 Do all things zwithout 4complaining and adisputing, Big Smile

Who's complaining???

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 71
Colin Thornby | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2009 9:39 PM

This may be 'not a big deal' to purchasers in the US and Canada, but it would be a big deal to us in (places like) Australia, who depend on resellers (there are really only three in Australia). The US postage on a base package would be pretty prohibitive, and once you get to AU$1,000 we have to pay import duties. I'd suggest that, if that happened, it would really mean Logos exiting the Australian market.

Colin

Posts 5
Gregory E. Sarwinski | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 7 2009 10:30 PM

Mark,

Most of the stores did not carry all the Logos base products.  Also, in order to get most add-on books, the source was Logos.  However, if you use the Pre-pub and Community Price pages you get the products at deep discounts.  That is especially true of the Community Price page, but few people are submitting bids.  I don't care what anyone thinks of Thomas Aquinas.  The fact is that if one participates in the bidding, one can get a huge set of his works for $16 to $20.  That is true of many other works.  Other than that, Logos stands by its word to its customers and will take care of us.  Afterall, Logos widow on the software world is not a ruined vista.

Posts 211
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2009 4:21 AM

How about product like "Bible Speaks Today" and "Essential IVP Reference Collection", and all the other 3rd party product that use Libronix?

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free", John 8:32.
"你們必定認識真理,真理必定使你們自由", 約翰福音 8:3.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2009 6:21 AM

Steven, this doesn't appear to affect the third party products, only the base packages.

e.g. lifeway won't carry scholars gold but will be able to carry the IVP reference collection.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2009 6:37 AM

Kenneth Shawver:

Philippians 2:14

14 Do all things zwithout 4complaining and adisputing, Big Smile

Who's complaining???

and here all this time I thought that verse said " Do all things without champagne and dissipation" Big Smile

Page 1 of 3 (59 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS