Need a Hand Cursor for Scrolling Like Adobe Acrobat Reader

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 65
DrGregWaddell | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Sep 18 2010 6:41 PM

I think that having a Hand-Shaped cursor for scrolling through books would greatly enhance the user-friendliness of the program, you know, one like what Adobe Acrobat uses.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 6:50 PM

Gregory S. Waddell:

I think that having a Hand-Shaped cursor for scrolling through books would greatly enhance the user-friendliness of the program, you know, one like what Adobe Acrobat uses.

There are already several methods of scrolling through a resource without a hand-shaped cursor:  You can simply hit the spacebar and it will advance a page.  You can also use the <PgDn> key or you can grab the indicator along the right side and drag it if you want to scroll further.  Another thing you can do is to reveal the contents and click on the section you wish.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 65
DrGregWaddell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 7:34 PM

Yeah, I know about those. I still say that the hand cursor would be a nice improvement.

For one thing the indicator you mention causes a jumpy scroll that's not very pleasant. It's color is also so opaque that I can't hardly see it on my monitor. I often confuse it with the horizontal placemarker lines which I find useless.

The spacebar always jumps one complete page, but sometimes you want to just move the text up a little more to one's eye level. Also, I find it comfortable to grab the text where I am reading and move it to the top of the page, that way I don't lose sight of where I was reading.

Using any of the methods you mention causes me to have to relocate visually where I was reading.

I think Adobe knew what they were doing when they invented the hand-grabber cursor.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 18 2010 8:39 PM

Gregory S. Waddell:

Yeah, I know about those. I still say that the hand cursor would be a nice improvement.

For one thing the indicator you mention causes a jumpy scroll that's not very pleasant. It's color is also so opaque that I can't hardly see it on my monitor. I often confuse it with the horizontal placemarker lines which I find useless.

The spacebar always jumps one complete page, but sometimes you want to just move the text up a little more to one's eye level. Also, I find it comfortable to grab the text where I am reading and move it to the top of the page, that way I don't lose sight of where I was reading.

Using any of the methods you mention causes me to have to relocate visually where I was reading.

I think Adobe knew what they were doing when they invented the hand-grabber cursor.

One additional method I didn't mention is that you can use the <up> and <dn> arrows to move a short distance.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1
Fabian Tamp | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 19 2010 3:32 PM

This is all true, but I would like to second the need for a hand cursor.

All of these methods either require use of a scroll wheel or keyboard, which is fine for most, but not for us who have tablet pcs either :)

Either that or one-fingered touchscreen scrolling would be really helpful. Microsoft have strived hard to make a consistent touch interface, that operates in this way, it would be nice if Logos replicated this functionality. It's pretty difficult and fairly imprecise to have to hit the scrollbar and associated buttons to perform this task.

See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/03/25/touching-windows-7.aspx for futher reference.

Thanks!

Fabian.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS