Printing out of Logos for Mac

Page 3 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 65 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 73
Boris Repschinski | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 4 2010 11:48 AM

Mike Binks:

Jesse Frame:
my big question is this: WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBLY WANT TO PRINT SO BADLY THAT COPY/PASTE ISNT SUITABLE?

I have also asked this before!

Surely we are not asking for a print facility just because 'programs print'  –there must be some practical use for the end result.?

I could think of a number of things, but first and foremost are all the pages where I have more than one version displayed. Passage lists come to mind, because I study a lot with them, and I would find it helpful to print them out, have the versions neatly aligned and use them while working on an essay. Synopses also spring to mind. Or with the more complex searches I run, it would be wonderful to print out the analytical view of the search results. The trouble with this kind of displays is when you copy and paste, the formatting goes haywire, verses are not aligned, etc. So printing is still useful with more complex page layouts. And just imagine having handouts in the future, but not being able to hand them out :)

So I think printing should come sooner rather than later.

Boris Repschinski

Professor of NT Studies

University of Innsbruck

Posts 5467
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 4 2010 3:20 PM

Boris Repschinski:
I could think of a number of things,

Well thanks Boris - this adds to the number of replies that I have had to that question. Though functional 'copy paste' would seem to be just as useful if not more so for your purposes.

Anyway I hope that you haven't been thinking about this question since I posed it in June this year?

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 73
Boris Repschinski | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 5 2010 2:04 AM

Mike Binks:
Anyway I hope that you haven't been thinking about this question since I posed it in June this year?

I rather hope that Logos techs have been doing some thinking about it – and from the posts I gather they have Big Smile

Boris Repschinski

Professor of NT Studies

University of Innsbruck

Posts 191
Sharon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 9 2010 5:50 PM

Mike Binks:
Well thanks Boris - this adds to the number of replies that I have had to that question

Hi Mike,

I would like to answer your question, too, and maybe someone will be able to help me find a work around.  (Perhaps I am missing a really obvious way to do what I have always done with Logos - before getting L4 and then L4 Mac.)

Just tonight I tried to do a couple of simple tasks that I have done a thousand times over through the years with Logos and I couldn't make it work in L4 Mac.  I looked through the forums and couldn't find an answer, then called Logos and was told it just couldn't be done anymore.  I was also told that it might be up to a year before printing was available on Mac.  I have to find a work around waaaayyyyyyy before then.  :-)

Here's what I tried to do just tonight:

1.  First, I did a Bible only search with just the NASB 95 update on Moab.  It pulled up 174 results, (cross-references and part of the passage) but I couldn't print them.  Why do I print them?  Because I study inductively and I want them all laid out in front of me so I can observe them carefully, looking for key and repeated words and phrases between the many sections in the Bible which give information about Moab.

2.  Second, I did a passage guide on Isaiah 15-16 and headed for the cross references to print them.  Again, although there is a list generated, all I can do is hover over them individually.  I need to be able to take them and study them each thoroughly (side-by-side) for comparisons and contrasts in order to continue to seek for the whole counsel of God on Moab (and on Isaiah 15-16).  The printed lists become my observation worksheets.

On a side note, I have always studied this way with Logos and it helps me, not only with inductive study, but with physical pain and limitations.

If any of you can help me figure out a way to do what I need to do, I would very much appreciate it.  This may not be what everyone does, but it is a bread and butter part of my studies, always has been, and I need to be able to continue doing it.  :-)

Thanks!

Sharon

wordcenterministries.org

Posts 5467
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 1:42 AM

Hi Sharon

I can see why you would want printing in your case, although the option to cut and past the text into a word processor might be more convenient and save the odd tree.

There are two possible work-rounds that I can see - neither of which address your need directly but may help you in the meantime.

1. If this facility was available on Libronix then it is still available if you have the program installed and the resources in your Libronix library. There is nothing to stop you running L4 and Libronix side by side if you want to; they are completely self contained programs.

2. Using the 'screen shot' and 'Grid' view I was able to print the Moab results onto two landscape A4 Pages and the Isaiah cross references on one.

HTH

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 143
Steven Baxley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 4:27 AM

Well, one thing that I would like to be able to go back and export are Bible puzzles.  I used them frequently in church bulletins.  My primary machine is a Mac, but my secondary was a Windows machine.  I would export the puzzle on the Windows machine and then copy it to a flash drive to put onto my Mac to drag into Pages.  That worked OK until my Windows machine died.  So, now I'm puzzle-less and waiting till the Mac version catches up with the Windows version.

Having said that, I hadn't thought of the screen capture option until reading the above posts, so I may give that a try to see how it works. 

I will be glad when Mac catches up to the Windows version.  Until then, I'll wait patiently.  It has been my experience that Logos runs much better on a Mac than on Windows (and I only converted to Mac recently, after using Logos on Windows for years).

Posts 5467
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 6:01 AM

+shift+K allows you to precisely select the bit of  the screen you want.

Once you have the selection on your (say) desktop 'Preview'  will allow you to save in the most appropriate format.

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 191
Sharon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 9:45 AM

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for your reply!  I really do need to find out a way to function until it works in L4 for Mac.

I uninstalled my old Logos when I upgraded to L4 - can that be put back on my new computer, which is now a Mac?  I didn't know Libronix 3 worked for Mac.  And if so, how do you go about doing it?  Gathering all the old CDs and reloading?

What I finally did last night, about 10:00 pm after losing several precious hours, was to make screen shots of everything I wanted which was well over a dozen, and then tried to organize then into a document, which of course was very hard because I couldn't see what the screen shot was until I got it into the document because it was such a teeny size.  :-) They were all out of order when I got them into the document in Pages and then I had to make them into floating objects in order to move them, which also gave them the ability to move by themselves when I removed one next to it, so I spent a long time chasing them around until I had them all in line - in order.  Finally I made a separate document and then brought them back in one by one to my original destination.  But it gave me what I needed for last night. :-)  (However, I had used the ‘verses’ view in order to get the most context possible.  I can see that the ‘grid’ view would have been a better choice because it would have maximized my space without losing much context for the initial observations.  If I had stayed up a couple of hours longer I would maybe have seen your post and been saved that part of the process.)

I was able to sit down and do some studying with them, but I couldn't then go back to the computer and mark my findings because they were screen shots and I couldn't alter them.  So… Hmmm... I don't think that is going to be my complete and final work-around because I need to be able to go back and delete and compile info from the original verses based on my observations into one document (without typing it in manually).  But, as you said, this may help in the meantime.

Today I am printing out the larger passages in which the ‘Moab’ search netted verses.  I am thankful that you can print out passages still.  This will get me what I need for today's study.  Once again, the Lord has provided my ‘daily bread’.

I know that God knows what He is going to have me do and He will show me.  Truly, In His Word I put my hope.

Thanks again for you reply!

Sharon

PS  Cut (did you mean copy) and paste would be just fine with me!  As far as the ‘odd’ tree - I cannot think of a better use for any part of His creation than to be offered up as a drink offering for the proclamation of the Gospel!  In my stewardship, the goal is His glory!  :-)

PSS  I used control+shift+4 to take the screen shots.  Does apple+shift+K have different capabilities?  How did you make the little apple?  And what key is it - the control key?  I don’t see an apple on any of the keys.  I am sorry for the simple questions.  I am new to Mac (and I LOVE it) but I have a lot to learn.  Like the tip on ‘Preview’ helped me a lot!  Thanks again!

wordcenterministries.org

Posts 255
Pat Flanakin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 11:41 AM

It is rather ridiculous what Sharon is having to do which natively should be available.  Trees are here for our use, not the other way around.

Posts 5467
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 12:53 PM

Now I owe you an apology Sharon, I dashed off the reply during a busy day. 

My tea-break relaxation is rummaging through the Logos Forums! How sad is that?

So to try and clear up my misinformation....

(Command)+Shift+4 provides the cross hairs to select a specific part of the screen.

Alt+Shift+K gives the little .

Yes I did mean Copy not Cut.

When I was imagining what you were trying to do I had in my mind that you would print each screen shot on a separate page and stick them on the desk one below the other which would give you a page just over A3 in size.

Anyway I am glad to be of help. You may have noticed that I started another thread asking what the difficulty was in providing 'Copy and Paste' in all the panels.

Best wishes with your studies.

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 5467
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 12:57 PM

Hi Pat,

Pat Flanakin:
It is rather ridiculous what Sharon is having to do which natively should be available.

I agree, though from what Sharon described and from what she actually tried to do Copy and Paste would have been more useful in this particular case.

Pat Flanakin:
Trees are here for our use, not the other way around.

I guess this is a personal opinion not a biblical one. I prefer the rendering 'Trees are here for our benefit, not the other way round'.

All God's good gifts can be abused. 

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 191
Sharon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 2:13 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Logos 4 Mac does have option to copy and paste text - create *.txt file - download to Kindle for reading.  Also can copy and paste into Textedit, save as RTF, email attachment to free kindle conversion - then download converted document to Kindle.

Hi there, KeepSmiling 4 Jesus!

I'm still learning here. :-)  Are you saying that i can copy and paste?   I tried and couldn't and I called support and they couldn't make it work either.  Or are you saying that L4 Mac can copy and paste, but only for certain functions, which, sadly for me, exclude pasting into Pages?

I want to copy and paste a list of verses and addresses found through a simple Bible search - say for the word 'Moab' - into Pages. (see my woes :-) above)  Do you know how to make that work?  I'll be listening!!!

Thanks,

Sharon

wordcenterministries.org

Posts 191
Sharon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 2:57 PM

Mike Binks:

Pat Flanakin:
It is rather ridiculous what Sharon is having to do which natively should be available.

I agree, though from what Sharon described and from what she actually tried to do Copy and Paste would have been more useful in this particular case.

Hi Pat and Mike,

Mike, I am sorry that I didn't catch that perhaps you were talking about printing directly from Logo's actual window.  I am just fine with copy and paste in order to print what I want if it would work, but it doesn't.  Sorry, I didn't communicate very well what I was trying to coax my new horse (L4) to do!  :-)  

Pat, thanks for the support!  I agree it is rather ridiculous to have to do what I did to accomplish such a simple task, and last night it felt majorly ridiculous!  :-)  If it is true that printing should be natively available, how much more should simple copy and paste functions be available.

The tech on the phone told me last night that it would be available within one year, but not until next year.  Yikes!  But a post earlier in this thread, a post by one of the developers (I am sorry, I can't remember your name right now)  said it will come with 4.1.  My question, then, is, when will 4.1 be available?  Mike, I am glad you started the new thread.  Maybe some information will help us all understand.

And in the meantime, I am hoping my friend, Keep Smiling 4 Jesus, will tell me that I can, indeed, copy from searches and paste into Pages, and that he/she will show me how to do it!

Mike Binks:

Pat Flanakin:
Trees are here for our use, not the other way around.

I guess this is a personal opinion not a biblical one. I prefer the rendering 'Trees are here for our benefit, not the other way round'.

As far as the tree or trees subject is concerned, we all must remember that God is Worthy, as our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power.

Why?  In this instance the text (Revelation 4:11) tells me it is because He created all things (including trees).

Why did He create all things, i.e. trees?  According to the text, they were created because of His will or pleasure, and they continue to exist because of His will or pleasure. So while we need to be good and faithful stewards of all that He has put us over, we don't need to worry about using trees up or saving them, because it is not our rationing of them that can cause them to continue to exist, but rather the power of His will alone.

What is His will or pleasure for His creation, including trees?  According to the text it is to bring Him Glory!  All of His creation is to give Him all the glory, and all the honor, and all of our/its power all the time because He is worthy!  Therefore, if a tree is used to print anything for the purpose of bringing Him glory, then it is fulfilling God's purpose for it.  May we all, including the trees of the forests and the fields, be expended for the glory of our Lord and our God!

It is not opinion at all, my friends, it is His Word, HIs will, and His way.  Perhaps a rendering that we can all agree on would be, "Trees are here for God's glory! We are here for God's glory! Period."  And perhaps you will join me in giving Him glory - that's why He created us!  He is worthy!  Praise to our Lord and our God!  He is Holy! Holy! Holy!

wordcenterministries.org

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 3:27 PM

Sharon:

Logos 4 Mac does have option to copy and paste text - create *.txt file - download to Kindle for reading.  Also can copy and paste into Textedit, save as RTF, email attachment to free kindle conversion - then download converted document to Kindle.

Hi there, KeepSmiling 4 Jesus!

I'm still learning here. :-)  Are you saying that i can copy and paste?   I tried and couldn't and I called support and they couldn't make it work either.  Or are you saying that L4 Mac can copy and paste, but only for certain functions, which, sadly for me, exclude pasting into Pages?

I want to copy and paste a list of verses and addresses found through a simple Bible search - say for the word 'Moab' - into Pages. (see my woes :-) above)  Do you know how to make that work?  I'll be listening!!!

Thanks,

Sharon

Hi Keep Smiling and Sharon,

Maybe I missed something in this thread as it is rather convoluted but the Logos issue, Keep Smiling, is can Sharon copy and paste and create a .txt file (maybe you have a Kindle but I don't think Sharon mentioned it) on her Mac and how does she do that?  Anybody?   Thanks so much!

Posts 25
Billy Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2010 4:19 PM

Ok, I have to agree that no printing is a limiting factor in Logos.  Don't get me wrong, I love the program, I have a substantial investment in the program (1,600 + volumes in my library)  but... I feel a little bit at times that I bought a great car, but as time goes on I find that soon it will have all 4 tires.  In the near future brake lights will be added, and after that seat belts will be installed next year.  I have to wonder was the rush to release a product with missing features of it's counterpart a service to the users or an additional source of income for the company.  I still keep a copy of windows on my Mac. because the Mac version still seems to have surprises.   In regard to printing, or copy/paste - I would love to be able to print out a passage with all my notes and highlighting.  I don't think that is possible via cut and paste.  Logos is the only company I have ever heard of that releases a new version (even the windows version) with less features the its proceeding version.  Again, I love the program, but it would have been nice to have driven out of the software showroom with all 4 tires, brake lights, and seat belts.

Posts 191
Sharon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2010 5:17 PM

Hi Joan,

Although no one has answered that question directly, it seems apparent that the answer is "no".  My next question became then, how long?  The answer to that one is "Logos doesn't know".  http://community.logos.com/forums/p/25916/191892.aspx#191892

Hi Billy.

I used a very similar word picture to yours when I was expressing how I felt in the above thread.

To me, it equates with trading in a fabulous Lexus RX330 for a newer (and supposedly more luxurious) model - only to find out, after purchase, that it does not have any sound system in it and that, although Lexus promises me they will eventually get it installed for me, they will not give me an estimate of time less than one year. 

If it might truly take that long (one year), then I need to make a hard decision about buying another new car.

Sharon

wordcenterministries.org

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 12 2010 7:53 PM

Sharon:
1.  First, I did a Bible only search with just the NASB 95 update on Moab.  It pulled up 174 results, (cross-references and part of the passage) but I couldn't print them.  Why do I print them?  Because I study inductively and I want them all laid out in front of me so I can observe them carefully, looking for key and repeated words and phrases between the many sections in the Bible which give information about Moab.

Living and learning - can Export to Excel graphical search results:

In Excel worksheet, have many options for marking/tracking inductive comparison progress.

Also search results can be saved as a Passage List - can delete verses along with highlight, copy and paste text:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 191
Sharon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 13 2010 8:59 AM

Oh, thanks so much, 4 Jesus!

Export to Excel graphical search results:

I did what you showed and I was able to get the graph results, but when I clicked on 'Export to Excel' nothing happened.  I tried it several times, and redid the search and graph results, too, but it still was unresponsive to me.  BTW, the button wasn't grayed out, it acted like it was responding to my click, but nothing ever happened.

In Excel worksheet, have many options for marking/tracking inductive comparison progress.

I guess I had always thought Excel was a windows program.  I have never used Excel.  Yet, it doesn't make sense that the button would be there in Mac if it only applies to Windows.  Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?   But, wow, it looks great if it would work.

Also search results can be saved as a Passage List - can delete verses along with highlight, copy and paste text:

This is good news, too, but I can only get so far before I need more help.  (Sorry)  I found Passage list under file, but when I clicked that, it just gave me a new panel with no verses.  It said something about selected text, but again, I couldn't select the search results.  Any ideas on how to continue?

You really know your software, 4Jesus!

Thanks so much for the help already given!  I hope you can walk me through the rest of these two good ideas because I do want to learn!

Sharon

wordcenterministries.org

Posts 191
Sharon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 13 2010 9:06 AM

Guess I don't know how to use the quote button very well either Smile - my answer was embedded in your quote!  I've never had that happen before but I must have done something without realizing it.  I'll try it again for ease of reading.

Sharon:

This is good news, too, but I can only get so far before I need more hep.  (Sorry)  I found Passage list under file, but when I clicked on that, it just gave me a new panel with no verses.  It said something about selected text, but again, I couldn't select the search results.  Any ideas on how to continue?

You really know your software, 4 Jesus!

Thanks so much for the help you've already given!  I hope you can walk me through the rest of these two good ideas because I do want to learn!

Sharon

wordcenterministries.org

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 13 2010 11:51 AM

Sharon:

Sharon:

This is good news, too, but I can only get so far before I need more hep.  (Sorry)  I found Passage list under file, but when I clicked on that, it just gave me a new panel with no verses.  It said something about selected text, but again, I couldn't select the search results.  Any ideas on how to continue? 

Since you're not getting any replies I can at least give you a link about how to save a Passage List: http://wiki.logos.com/Passage_List (look under "Saving verses returned by a Bible/Morph/Syntax search").

The rest is beyond me, I'm afraid; you'll have to wait for KS4J or someone else.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 3 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS