Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 34 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2009 11:46 AM

AndrewChuter:
Moo (NICNT) - wonderful!
Andrew, and others, what are your thoughts on Moo's book "Encountering the Book of Romans"?  It is available at a price somewhat below the $1,200 price for NCINT.  Is it worth it though?

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 118
Andrew Chuter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2009 12:44 PM

Joe Miller:

AndrewChuter:
Moo (NICNT) - wonderful!
Andrew, and others, what are your thoughts on Moo's book "Encountering the Book of Romans"?  It is available at a price somewhat below the $1,200 price for NCINT.  Is it worth it though?

Joe

Aware of this but haven't read it - the other option is Moo in NIVAC (Zondervan) though not yet available in Logos

Andrew

Posts 60
Richard Crampton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2009 12:49 PM

I agree with you Andrew.  Although, Worthington has some interesting things to say.  Also, Gordon Fee's God's Empowering Presence is helpful when studying Romans but I don't think it's available in Logos.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2009 12:53 PM

For me, the best commentaries on Romans are (in no particular order): (1) Cranfield, (2) Stott (3) John Murray's NICNT (replaced now by Moo)

Bill

Posts 455
David Buckham | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2009 1:04 PM

Joe,

I haven't read a Moo commentary that wasn't good.  LOVE his stuff on James.

all about Christ,
David Buckham

all about Christ,

David Buckham

http://thinkspurlove.blogspot.com

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2009 1:57 PM

Joe Miller:
what are your thoughts on Moo's book "Encountering the Book of Romans"?  

I have the other two titles (not by Moo) in the Baker Encountering the Bible Collection   http://www.logos.com/products/details/4476

Encountering the Old Testament: A Christian Survey
Encountering the New Testament: A Historical and Theological Survey

I use these two surveys as texts for my homeschooled kids but I do not have the Romans volume. If it is similar in depth I would describe it as introductory and not likely to suffice.  I imagine the NICNT volume by Moo is more of what you're looking for.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 238
Charles | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2009 2:16 PM

Joe Miller:

I am getting ready to preach through the book of Romans.  What is the best commentary on Romans Logos has to offer and what makes it the most valuable to you?

In my opinion, the best commentaries on Romans that are available from Logos is Volume 1 and 2 of the MacArthur NT Commentary on the Book of Romans. Easy to understand, yet detailed enough to provide a comprehensive preaching overview for your congregation.  What makes MacArthur's commentaries my choice is that they're not only for the serious seminary student, or working preacher, but also for the lay person.   And they're affordable!  $$$

Regards, and God Bless.  

Charles

2017 27" iMac 5K, Mojave, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iOS 12.0, Catalina beta, iPadOS Beta  

Posts 1712
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2009 2:38 PM

FWIW, bestcommentaries.com gives Moo's The Epistle to the Romans NICNT (Eerdmans, 1996) one of the highest scores of any commentary:

http://www.bestcommentaries.com/best.aspx

Posts 97
Al | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2009 2:59 PM

I'm going to reply simply to raise up some other possibilities:

Romans by Robert Jewett in the Hermeneia commentary.

Romans by C. K. Barrett in the Black's commentary.

Paul Achtemeier's commentary in the Interpretation series.

Ben Witherington's commentary in the Socio-Rhtetorical series.

Luke Timothy Johnson also has a commentary called Reading Romans, a literary and theological commentary.

Posts 211
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2009 6:02 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:
It's not free, but if you want/need Tom Constable's notes in Libronix format, they are available from several sources. I think Galaxie is actually the publisher, but you can buy it online here if I recall.

http://www.soniclight.com/constable/notes/pdf/romans.pdf

Copyright Policy. Unauthorized translation, duplication, or distribution of any portion of this material in any form without the express written consent of Dr. Thomas L. Constable, or his appointed representatives, is strictly forbidden. Sonic Light reserves the right by permission from the author to make CD copies or other electronic forms of website material. You may use these Bible study notes for your own personal study or for teaching a class. You may print and/or make paper copies if you teach a class or Bible study group, and charge only the cost of copying. You may NOT make changes and attribute the Notes to Dr. Constable.

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free", John 8:32.
"你們必定認識真理,真理必定使你們自由", 約翰福音 8:3.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 9 2009 1:19 PM

ICC on Romans is $90 for volume 1. That is $180 for all of Romans.

Pillar is $40 for one Volume on all of Romans.  
Which is the best value?

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 9 2009 1:23 PM

Also...

Barnhouse is $94 for 4 volumes.  How does that compare to ICC and Pillar in value?

Posts 10836
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 9 2009 2:12 PM

Joe Miller:

Also...

Barnhouse is $94 for 4 volumes.  How does that compare to ICC and Pillar in value?

Joe

Barnhouse is a sermon series while the other two are commentaries. Other than that, I cannot make the comparison, although I believe that the ICC is more highly respected among scholars. Since you are seeking resources for sermon research, the Pillar might be a better investment. I have Barnhouse, but I have not read much in them. He preached those sermons over a three year span, so there must be either a lot of meat or several thousand rabbit trails (I hope that is not a strictly southern metaphor).

Jack

Posts 97
Al | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 9 2009 2:26 PM

I would think it would depend on whether or not you think ICC or Pillar is the better commentary.

Posts 211
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 9 2009 2:35 PM

Joe Miller:
A few folks mentioned Boice. I only see his commentary in the set. Does Logos sell just the Romans part separately? I don't see it, but just wondered if I am missing it.

Logos only have it in the complete set, which I own in the printed version.

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free", John 8:32.
"你們必定認識真理,真理必定使你們自由", 約翰福音 8:3.

Page 2 of 2 (35 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS