What I should have vs what I do have - how do I tell?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 20 2010 11:23 AM

When I first started downloading Logos 4 i ran into repeated problems with a couple of resources which locked up the process after a number of hours - a heart attack and some other issues got in the way of finishing the download process (and my frustration with repeated do-overs).

Is there an easy way to tell what I should have vs what I do have in my library?

I have the Scholars Platinum.

As always - thanks for the help you all provide - You have made Logos 4 a usable product for me.

Posts 9240
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 11:31 AM

frederick harrell:
a heart attack

Glad you are recovering.

frederick harrell:
Is there an easy way to tell what I should have vs what I do have in my library?

I suppose that depends on the word easy. You can manually compare the list of what should be included listed here: http://www.logos.com/contents/platinum#001
to what is in your Library. Tedious.

You could generate a bibliography report using the tool Mark Barnes has provided. The instructions are here:http://www.4-14.org.uk/off-topic/logos4-bibliographic-report

In running this report you should run the Popularity Report for All Known Resources sorted by Popularity. This would highlight resources most other users have so you can check if it shows you are missing something most others have against the Platinum list above. Much less tedious.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 11:43 AM

Thanks Mark,

Less tedious is always better for those of us with ADD.

What do I do if I find (as I assume) that I am missing resources? Must I go through the entire installation again (please no, I prefer root canals)

Thanks,

Rick

Posts 9240
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 20 2010 11:50 AM

frederick harrell:
What do I do if I find (as I assume) that I am missing resources?

No you should not. We have seen strangeness in differing resource counts between different machines all supposedly hooked up to the same account, so you may be missing some items, but it isn't highly likely. If you do discover anything missing, the first step would be to type Update Resources in the Command Bar , then hit enter. it will tell you if it has found anything and offer to download it. If you do have missing resources and that doesn't fix the problem, get back to us.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 9:47 AM

Thanks again Mark - the report generated by Mark Barnes site shows I have all the books in Scholars Platinum.

Posts 9240
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 21 2010 10:44 AM

frederick harrell:
the report generated by Mark Barnes site shows I have all the books in Scholars Platinum

Excellent!

Mark's report capabilities are an interesting diversion.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 18888
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2010 1:23 AM

Mark A. Smith:

Mark's report capabilities are an interesting diversion.

More than just an interesting diversion. I think they are extremely helpful! I'd love to see Logos encorporate the functionality he has provided right within the product, so we don't have to go through all that rigmarole of uploading our catalog, and it could be faster -- being computed right on our own machines and not having to strain Mark's server capacity. Mark should of course get hefty royalties if they decide they want to license the feature from him (or even just the idea if they reimplement it themselves). It's an awesome tool. Thank you again, Mark!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS