Logos 4 features for teaching and pastorate

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 242
Nielsen Tomazini | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 23 2010 12:05 PM

Hello everyone.

I would like to ask those who use Logos 4 for teaching (in general) and for pastoral ministry, what new features in Logos 4 help you in your ministry.

If you would like to share why and how Logos 4 is useful for your ministry. That would be awesome. But if someone who have used L3 and now is using L4 have something to share on how L4 "is better," or different. I would really appreciate.

Thanks in advance for any contribution.

Blessings, 

www.aprendalogos.com 
Youtube: AprendaLogos

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 23 2010 2:15 PM

Nielsen Tomazini:

Hello everyone.

I would like to ask those who use Logos 4 for teaching (in general) and for pastoral ministry, what new features in Logos 4 help you in your ministry.

If you would like to share why and how Logos 4 is useful for your ministry. That would be awesome. But if someone who have used L3 and now is using L4 have something to share on how L4 "is better," or different. I would really appreciate.

Thanks in advance for any contribution.

Blessings, 

Nielsen, this is not an easy question to answer.

I have used Logos since version 1.6, and have kept upgrading all along the way. Each major upgrade (version 1.x to 2; 2.x to 3; 3.x to 4) has required some time to learn how to use the new system in a way that fits with my style of study. Version 4 is certainly no different in that regard. I have also found that, once I had learned how to use the new system, my study benefited. This is also true of my switch to version 4.

That's the easy part of answering your question. Answering why/how L4 is better is a bit more difficult. L4 introduces several new tools (Biblical People, Places & Things, e.g.) that are helpful, a new way of creating collections that is much better than L3 (IMHO), and has developed man more Reverse Interlinears as well as included an interlinear pane that keeps the interlinear text out of the way of the English Bible (though you can still view the reverse interlinear content 'in-line' as well - though I've come to prefer the bottom pane view).

But I don't think those are the reasons I find L4 more helpful to me than L3. There something about how the interface works that seems to draw me into the Word in deeper ways than L3 did. I wish I could put my finger on why/how this works. When I have gone back to L3 (which I very rarely do these days), it looks 'clunky' to me by comparison.

I wish I could be more specific.

Please note that if you're considering using L4 that your computer has more than the minimum system requirements. For best performance, a dedicated (rather than integrated) video card is highly recommended, as well as a lot of RAM and HD space.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 242
Nielsen Tomazini | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2010 10:59 AM

Hello Richard,

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer this post. 

I understand that the topic is not easy, so I really appreciate your comments. I agree with the new features that you pointed out like Biblical People, Places & Thinks... I believe that the "presentation" features, like the F8, the drawing mode, etc... I find it very valuable for teaching and for any kind of presentation.

Thanks again for your help.

www.aprendalogos.com 
Youtube: AprendaLogos

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2010 11:45 AM

I've looked at this post for a day now and I'm still not certain how to answer it.

Much of what L4 does, L3 did also - aside from the forementioned databases, most of what is new is more about interface than content, as a general rule I mean. 

That said, I still rely quite heavily upon the three guides, Exegetical, Bible Word Study and Passage, to accomplish studies in Logos, but with my building knowledge of collections and my slowly increase in their number I am finding that focused searching, made lightning fast by the index,  is beginning to gain equivalence with the reports in terms of frequency of use.

Overall because I have so many resources in L4, and because I've established a workflow which uses much of L4 to my benefit - including for personal devotions and prayer time - I have arrived at the point, where I'm just not sure I'd know what to do without it.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS