passage guide: word by word - # of hits seems inaccurage? maybe, maybe not?

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 34
JinHTown | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 23 2010 3:03 PM

Dear Logos,

I'm using Isaiah 5 for much of my testing of L4 in general and have come across something I cannot figure out.

Isaiah 5:2 - Under Passage Guide - Word by Word -  frequency set to show words below 30 occurrences - for the verb חָצֵ֣ב - after clicking more - the small auto-generated horizontal chart says 17 hits (= 17 occurrences across the Old Testament?).  

However, the verb occurs 25 times in the OT.  I cannot find any pattern to understand why searching the BHS yields 8 more occurrences than the ESV interlinear.  Now, I notices that sometimes the occurrences in the Word by Word is sometimes divided up by multiple connotations (entires) for a particular word - but this is different.  Additionally, verbs on this report seem to always be grouped together (therefore it should read 25 hits).

More specifically, occurrences in the books of Ezra and Nehemiah do not show at all (in the small horizontal chart, nor any graphic charts). 

Can you help me understand what is going on here? 

This seems like such a great feature with so much potential; but unfortunately, I cannot trust the results - hopefully someone can provide some insight so I can better make some sense of this.

Thank you for your help.

Posts 25587
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2010 3:01 AM

If you perform a Bible Word Study by clicking on the lemma it should generate a section called Textual Searches. Click on Hebrew Bible to see where the 17 results come from (usually a bible with Andersen-Forbes Hebrew morphology rather than any BHS morphologies).

If you use the similar homograph חצב.1.v in BHS 4.2 it shows 16 results. BHS/WIVU provides your 25 results.

I can't help more than this but there are others with a better knowledge of Hebrew.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2010 3:51 AM

Hmm, there does appear to be an error with that lemma. I've reported it in the beta forum, which gets checked more regularly for bug reports.

I don't think the differences between the two results are part of the problem however, but are rather due to tagging strategy of the different Hebrew versions. Some treat the word as two homographs, others don't.

Posts 34
JinHTown | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2010 4:47 AM

Wow...I read your report in the beta forum - great work!

I did searches with BHS/WIVU, and then with Anderson-Forbes.  WIVU = 25 results; AFAT = 17 for all verbal forms (either verbs or participles (non-verbal participles)); 8 for "non" verbal forms (pure noun participles).  The AFAT search also showed that the 17 results (lemma 1חצב) are across 16 verses.  It seems that some of the errors you discovered are which numbers are reported (25 total search results for the lemma from BHS/WIVU; 17 results for verbals in AFAT; 16 verses for verbals in AFAT (with 17 hits); and then 8 pure noun participles in AFAT). 

So, it seems that the ESV interlinear depends on the AFAT?  Is this correct?

Thanks.

Posts 13392
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2010 5:15 AM

JinHTown:
So, it seems that the ESV interlinear depends on the AFAT?  Is this correct?

Yes, that's right. You can tell what morphology a bible is using by going to a morphology search, choosing only that bible, and then looking at the morphology dropdown.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS