Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 87
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 8 2009 6:33 PM

Since Libronix has made a Mac version (which is a type of UNIX), is it compatible with the various Linux distributions?

I grew very tired with Microsoft Windows crashing on me, and I started using Linux (Debian) and was delighted to see its speed and reliability.

Although I wish software publishers would have continued some of their excellent programs - like WordPerfect for Linux Console - I yearn for the days of fast console (screen) programs from the days before Windows and the huge slow files needed to run them.

I have several thousand dollars invested in Logos Books - but I can no longer read them.

Is there any work being done either to allow WINE or CrossoverOffice to run the Windows version of Libronix?

Is there any work being done on recompiling the MAC version of Libronix for use on Linux?

I understand one of the problems with Libronix is that it uses Internet Explorer files - I find that program too slow and buggy.  I'm using Google Chrome and I recommend Google Chromium Browser to Windows users - it is greased lightning.

I remember years ago that Logos 2.0 worked in Windows - could this program be compiled to produce a console version of Logos so that Linux users could once again access their library?

Or perhaps a universal access where by our purchases Logos holds both our books on a server and we could log in and access our books?

This would be wonderful - a new device - portable computer is being sold for $50.00 called ZipIt.  Missionaries could purchase many of these, use them in their schools, and use them for Bible education.  They would need a portable sat-com downlink (not too expensive these days) or a WiFi network with a file server running locally.  Linux has fantastic file server programs.  This particular computer has been running continuously for two years and updates continuously.

Is one of these suggestions in the works?

Or if not, is there any other programs that are being sold that will open my Logos books?

Or lastly, if there aren't any programs to open my Logos books, does anyone have any recommendations on a Bible program that is good for research that will run on Linux.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and suggestions,

David

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2009 7:09 PM

DavidJRingJr:
I have several thousand dollars invested in Logos Books - but I can no longer read them.
You can still use them, you just chose not to.

BTW, my dad still loves 8-track music players and things there better than CD's... seriously, he does. 

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 87
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 8 2009 7:27 PM

I don't have a computer with Windows on it.  I don't want to buy a Windows computer just to run ONE program.

It is a stretch to say it's a choice.

Can I load the books and the Libronix program on a USB key and somehow open the books using the computer at the Library?

Be well,

David

Posts 10810
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 9 2009 11:22 AM

DavidJRingJr:

I don't have a computer with Windows on it.  I don't want to buy a Windows computer just to run ONE program.

It is a stretch to say it's a choice.

Can I load the books and the Libronix program on a USB key and somehow open the books using the computer at the Library?

Be well,

David

David

You can purchase an emulator which will allow you to run Windows on a Linux machine. I personally use VMWare Fusion on a Mac, but they don't appear to have a Linux version. However, Parallels does have a Linux version at http://www.parallels.com/consumers/  I do not know of any other way to run Logos on a Linux OS. Of course, you will still need a Windows OS., but this will give you access to your Logos resources. Otherwise, it is your choice to not use your Logos resources.

Jack

Posts 5616
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 9 2009 3:03 PM

Here's the Linux discussion thread in case you want to read the past discussion.

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/121.aspx

I recommend that you dual-boot.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 26
Doug Horst | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 9 2009 4:30 PM

I have been running Windows XP under Sun's Virtualbox on Ubuntu for almost two years.  I have one virtual machine just for logos and another one for financial software I need for supporting my job.  It works well.

I tried vmware on this machine and in a major installation for a while and prefer virtualbox (available free).  I can cut and paste between the virtual machine and my linux host without problem.

I rarely boot up into windows native.

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 9 2009 10:54 PM

DavidJRingJr:

Since Libronix has made a Mac version (which is a type of UNIX), is it compatible with the various Linux distributions?

I grew very tired with Microsoft Windows crashing on me, and I started using Linux (Debian) and was delighted to see its speed and reliability.

Although I wish software publishers would have continued some of their excellent programs - like WordPerfect for Linux Console - I yearn for the days of fast console (screen) programs from the days before Windows and the huge slow files needed to run them.

Is there any work being done either to allow WINE or CrossoverOffice to run the Windows version of Libronix?

Someone has already given you a link to a very long thread about Linux elsewhere on these forums. The only thing I could add is that at this stage, the only way I see Logos working on Linux is that a group of volunteer programmers form an open source project team to get it to run under WINE or something. Its doable, but it needs people who have the right expertise with the commitment to do it.  I would be curious how many regular visitors to this forum have the skills to do something like this?  I don't sadly, but if I did, it would be an interesting project.

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 9 2009 10:59 PM

Oh, here's one link to someone who at least had Logos partially working on Linux...so it's doable, but how functional it is, I don't know. I bet it has problems.

http://blog.higherthings.org/borghardt/article/2286.html

It appears in reading about the issues of running Logos under WINE are mostly associated with Logos' dependency on Internet Explorer. There has been indication that Logos v.4 will have a different architecture and if this is the case, it just "might" be easier to get to run under WINE or Crossover. The other reason moving to another architecture is desirable is the issue of speed of rendering search results (which has been talked about on these forums before)

Posts 8
Benjamin Bryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 10 2009 7:36 AM

DavidJRingJr:

Have you tried Windows 7?

I have used Windows 98/XP/7, OSX, Linux (RedHat, Gentoo, Ubuntu), and even FreeBSD (which OSX's kernel is based on) as my primary desktop at some point or another and they all have their advantages.  Windows 7 RC is very stable and I've been using it as my primary OS on my work notebook since it came out.  I would give it a try before you give up on Microsoft.

Posts 87
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 10 2009 9:12 AM

Windows 7 RC is very stable.  But what will happen when lots of programs are installed?  Has Windows given up what they used to allow - the modification of Microsoft Dynamic Link Libraries (dll's) by newly installed programs?  That's usually when when you had a lot of programs on your computer it would eventually crash.  I have no such problem with Linux, plus after you install a Linux distribution you actually have a system that you can do something with besides web  browse and email.

Why doesn't Logos / Libronix just have a team work on getting their program working on WINE?  They have all the tools needed in house - except those perhaps that Microsoft won't release about their development package that they use to make Logos.work under Linux.

After using Linux for several years, I can do much more with this operating system and more reliabily.

Plus now there's the Zipit $50 netbook that can run under Linux.  The $50 Netbook - Yes I Am Completely Serious

Sorry about the large font.  I don't know how to change the size.

But if I were a missionary in a remote area, I'd take Linux rather than Windows - it just works better and much faster without any problems.

I only have the one program that I want to access.  I hope Logos is thinking about Cloud Computing - that will make access platform independent.  Also with today's fast machines, Java programs, or Ruby or Perl or other language that's platform independent.  

I really do miss DOS programs - just a screen - no distractions!  There were add-ons that let you cut and paste between programs... ... but times have changed - and the operating systems move onward.  In fact I kind of like Logos 2.0 a lot too. :-)

David

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 10 2009 9:45 AM

DavidJRingJr:
Windows 7 RC is very stable.  But what will happen when lots of programs are installed?  Has Windows given up what they used to allow - the modification of Microsoft Dynamic Link Libraries (dll's) by newly installed programs?

I used DOS --> Windows machines of all variants for many years and came to the following conclusions:

1. Security, though greatly improved, has always lagged behind with Windows machines and technology. I got fed up having to run tonnes of programmes to plug holes in Windows.

2. Maybe W7 will be the panacea that we have been looking for, but the speed and efficiency gains on new hardware were always disappointing. Particularly when you had to tie up processing power to run applications to solve point number one.

3. Bloat has been a very, very big problem. The problem with this bloat is that things sometimes break other things in Windows. This can happen with any operating system and I tend to have a "bare bones" philosophy...keep it lean and mean, not running one thing you don't have to, but it has always been particularly bad to try to do this with Windows.

I am a big fan of POSIX type operating systems, including Linux, FreeBSD and OSX because in 'general' they are more advanced in these areas.

The trouble is Linux and FreeBSD are some way from being mainstream and thereby not viable for most businesses to develop software for. The most recent stats show that 1% of desktop computing is on Linux.

The compromise is to go OSX which is 5-10% of the general market (though probably higher amongst academics versus enterprise computing). The good thing about this is that with OSX you remove another variable in software development. With Windows you have to set up the architecture for a million possible combinations of hardware. At least with OSX, you narrow the field considerably so developers generally know exactly what kind of video card they are going to be dealing with, etc.

If OSX is unattractive, the remaining option is the 90% of the market which is Windows. Not ideal, but a lot more profitable and you get scale of economy many different ways.

Personally, I don't really care what people want to use. If I am asked, my recommendation is OSX these days until other POSIX type operating systems become more commonly used at the desktop. I think Google is looking to develop their own OS as well, so who knows what things will be like in 10 years from now?

Posts 87
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2009 7:47 AM

Thanks to all for your thoughtful replies.

I think I will make another post with a suggestion that "Libronix for Linux" be added as a Prepub to determine profitibility.

Linux is so much more stable and faster than even Windows 7 and it gives me complete control via the console if things aren't working.

If Mr. Bob P approves this idea - and hopefully announces it via the Logos email announce list - I hope that you'll sign up.

I'm sure that if Mr. Bob P sees that there are a surprisingly large amount of users that he can justify development of this with a native working version of Libronix or at least one that works via WINE.

I'm hoping and praying for a native version - I'm sure that Windows users after seeing how quickly Linux LOGOS works, they will convert. :-)

Wishing everyone well,

David Ring

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2009 8:28 AM

DavidJRingJr:
I'm hoping and praying for a native version - I'm sure that Windows users after seeing how quickly Linux LOGOS works, they will convert. :-)

Speed is not the only issue. Logos for Mac is pretty fast, but unless you are willing to settle for an ebook reader for a large electronic library (and most users of Bible software aren't), then the thing that users will press for will be features.  Logos for Mac has been in development for years and 1.2.2 still lacks a lot of functionality to its windows counterpart.

At least v. 3 (windows) depends on IE and the Mac version depends on Webkit. I have no clue what you would need for Linux. That said, version 4 is supposed to be a different architecture, so whether or not this is easily accessible in Linux, only the developers know.

Posts 274
Mike W | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 15 2009 9:25 AM

DavidJRingJr:

Thanks to all for your thoughtful replies.

I think I will make another post with a suggestion that "Libronix for Linux" be added as a Prepub to determine profitibility.

Linux is so much more stable and faster than even Windows 7 and it gives me complete control via the console if things aren't working.

If Mr. Bob P approves this idea - and hopefully announces it via the Logos email announce list - I hope that you'll sign up.

I'm sure that if Mr. Bob P sees that there are a surprisingly large amount of users that he can justify development of this with a native working version of Libronix or at least one that works via WINE.

Wishing everyone well,

David Ring

I used Linux for several years (starting with  the .7 beta release Smile) but haven't looked at it in about two years. I currently use Vista with no problems.  For Linux there was always the question of which distribution programs were written for (installation had to be modified for diffences in file locations).  Is this still a consideration for commercial programs on Linux ?

Posts 19
G. Allen Gunn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 17 2009 3:27 PM

I, too, am a Libronix user who has been greatly impressed with Ubuntu Linux. Libronix is my one reason for not switching to Ubuntu as my main OS. With Ubuntu, I think that Linux has finally moved into the end-user's world. But, since Logos makes money, not on the Libronix engine, but on the resources, I doubt that it would make any sense for Logos to invest heavily in supporting a new OS until there are many, many users of that system. I suspect it will be quite awhile (if ever) before Logos considers engineering a Linux Libronix.

--

George Gunn

Shasta Bible College

www.shasta.edu

Posts 5
Michael Scoggins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 18 2009 9:09 PM

yes you can run libronix on a usb key with mojopac (mojopac.com) The only caveats is it only works with Win XP. The software is free and I have tried it with a huge resource library (<2GB) and it does truly work. Imagine having your libronix on a USB key and plugging it in to a freinds computer or taking it to the office. But in your case how do you get it on the usb device 1st? You need to do this from windows.

Posts 10
Josué Pineda | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 21 2011 11:51 PM

Try using Pinguy OS, this is an awesome Ubuntu variant, ready for almost any Windows app.

Posts 87
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 9 2011 8:50 AM

Pinguy is just Ubuntu Linux variant.  Any Linux can have Windows apps with WINE.  The problem is and has been that WINE does not run Logos.

So we are back to square one.    I looked into Mojo pack -  but it seems any computer it works with must be Windows XP - which also defeats the point.

Windows on a USB stick would solve the problem but no one has done this yet.

Hopefully a cloud version of Logos will be produced.

David

Posts 11
Carlos Silva | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2011 6:18 PM

I think I started this very same discussion back in 2003, the answer I got back then, still have the official response from Libronix, not only no, but not until you know where freezes over will we do a Linux version. That is of course paraphrasing a little bit.

So don't hold your breath it's not going to happen, official Libronix stance, not just my words.

So as was suggested and which I have been suggesting for a very long time, use a visualiser, Virtual Box is awesome. Windows will run better than it does natively and you will have all the benefits of the Linux system.

Libronix is a M$ company, from what I understand could be totally wrong, but the founder has some deep M$ ties, and if your whole company is structured around profitability the predominant desktop OS is Windows so that's where your maximum profits are going to be so therefore thats where your market target is going to be.

So until Linux is at the top of the heap it will be out of the development cycle for Libronix !!!!

Posts 87
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 18 2011 6:37 PM

Hello Carlos,

Yes, "Virtual Box" is an answer and it works much better than Windows running alone.  I have Windows XP installed inside Linux Ubuntu and I use it for running Logos.

I wouldn't mind Logos in the Cloud either - but it does make it difficult to access material I have bought when I'm not around Internet access.

Linux is mature, stable, and it does much more than my Windows 7 computer is able to.  I can combine two mp3 files simply by going to console or terminal and typing:  cat 1.mp3 2.mp3 3.mp3 > full_show.mp3 and it does it in a half second.

If Windows did this, I'd run Windows.  I have just purchased Abbyy Fine Reader OCR for Linux at $200 and except for Logos and Dragon Naturally Speaking, I have absolutely no need for Windows.  Abbyy OCR is excellent.  I'll pay for Logos too, but it isn't being offered.

David

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS