More RAM or SSD?

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 37 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 236
Michael March | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 28 2010 7:29 AM

Which would make logos run better,

8gigs of RAM and 500 gig hd at 7200 or

4 gigs of RAM and SSD (128)?

Upgrading computer and thinking of going for SSD even though it's only 128 because this machine will be primarily a logos 4 machine and that's plenty of space it seems to me.

thoughts appreciated

Windows PC - Android Phone - Surface Pro 4

Posts 116
Matt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 28 2010 7:37 AM

Hi Michael, because you stated that your machine is going to be primarily Logos centric, I would say that the SSD would be the way to go because faster access to the disk and indexes will be of far greater benefit than additional RAM, especially considering that unless you have many programs running simultaneously, 4 GB of RAM will be plenty for a 32-bit application such as Logos 4.

Matt

Specs:

• Windows 7 x64
  • Quad Xeon 2.83 GHz x2
  • 16GB RAM
  • Nvidia 285 GTX 1GB VRAM
  • Logos 4.1 Platinum, SR-3, indexed
    Posts 8660
    TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 28 2010 7:43 AM

Be mindful that if you normally have a large number of books open, that more RAM will be beneficial.  I have 4GB and hit the lid on occasion with upwards of 30 books open.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 13420
    Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 28 2010 8:41 AM

It's tricky to say. If you have lots of RAM, then Windows will cache your Logos files in RAM, which will be even quicker than the SSD. But it will never be able to cache everything, so it will only help if you're frequently doing the same sort of thing. (For example, if you had the same 20 books open for a whole session, and all the time you were switching between them, making notes, etc., RAM could probably make quite a difference.)

On the other hand, an SSD will make most difference with searches, Passage/Exegetical Guides and BWS, and Parallel Resource switching, all of which use the HDD intensively.

You've also got to consider the impact on the rest of your system, too.

Posts 236
    Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 28 2010 8:53 AM

Well this is a fine kettle of fish.  My thinkpad x201 which I ordered last wed and cancelled on thursday because of a concern about integrated graphics with logos4 shipped.   Now instead of wondering about whether to get ssd or hd on the replacement, I have to decide if the integrated graphics are going to be too big of a bottleneck and whether to replace it at all.  Could just send it back unopened but I really like the form factor of a powerful 12 inch notebook, and if it could run logos 4 I'd prefer it.  I may have to try it and see.

Windows PC - Android Phone - Surface Pro 4

Posts 1281
    toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 29 2010 3:56 PM

I would recommend to get SSD first, as it will greatly speed up not just LOGOS but the whole system, and the extra RAM later, but get both.

Posts 3751
    BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 29 2010 5:06 PM

Vladimir Lukyanov:
    get both

Yes

Grace & Peace,
    Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
    iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
    Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 215
    Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2010 3:14 AM

I experminented with both.

• Experiment 1: 8GB + normal HDD
    • Experiment 2: 2GB + SSD (Windows + Logos installed on the SSD)

Experiment 2, the one with the SSD, was multiple times faster.

When buying a SSD, make sure to buy the right one. There are great differences in speed. I would recommend the OCZ Vertex 2, which is both fast and reasenable priced (120GB is around 220 EURO)

Posts 421
    Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 2:02 PM

Simon,

Please post your system specs; What operating system, processor, graphics card, etc.

Thanks.

Posts 338
    Michael Parry-Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 4:25 PM

hi

I am using a USB flash drive as my virtual RAM,  I've seen a big improvement in performance size 1950 MB 

not using any of the hard drive for the virtual RAM

the flash drive is a two gig Corair Voyager

Acer laptop Aspire 5620

hard drive 160 gig

4 gig memory

dedicated graphics card ATI mobility Radeon x1300

processor Intel centrino dual core 1.66Hz

windows XP service Pack 3

I'm very pleased with the performance I am using the platinum library

mick

Mick
    Posts 1680
    Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 5:11 PM

Michael Parry -Thomas:
    I am using a USB flash drive as my virtual RAM,  I've seen a big improvement in performance size 1950 MB 

I am not very computer literate, but I was wondering if you could elaborate about this.  Is this something I should check into?

I have platinum on a Sony Vaio laptop.  Intel T4400 2.2 GHz

4 gig memory

320 gig hard drive (5400 rpm)

Intel graphics 4500m 

I would be nice to get a moderately priced performance gain.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 5337
    Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 6:36 PM

Jerry M:

Michael Parry -Thomas:

I am not very computer literate, but I was wondering if you could elaborate about this.  Is this something I should check into?

I have platinum on a Sony Vaio laptop.  Intel T4400 2.2 GHz

4 gig memory

320 gig hard drive (5400 rpm)

Intel graphics 4500m 

I would be nice to get a moderately priced performance gain.

If you are running Vista or Win7 you can use a USB flash-drive to function as RAM (I don't know if you need a 64 bit system if you already have 4 GB  of ram though), it's called ready-boost and you need a fast flash drive for it to be worth it. Your best bet on improving your computer's performance is a faster hard drive; a 7200 RPM drive should be the minimum.

Posts 1680
    Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2010 6:58 PM

Kevin,

Thanks for the response.  I have thought about investing in a SSD or Word Biblical Commentary... Decisions, Decisions :)  

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 2875
    David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2010 3:46 AM

Jerry M:

Kevin,

Thanks for the response.  I have thought about investing in a SSD or Word Biblical Commentary... Decisions, Decisions :)  

Get the Books - Fast is nice but if you have no where to go?

Posts 291
    Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2010 5:30 AM

Tests done by Maximum PC magazine show that increasing RAM gives the greatest overall boost to a system. They compared doubling RAM from 4 to 8 gig and addind an SSD. The speed benefit of an SSD was actually not as much as expected and didn't justify the higher cost. Also, be sure that your motherboard supports higher than 4 gig.

Posts 323
    Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2010 3:01 PM

Oh my!  I just built a new system back in January with an i7, 8 gigs of ddr3, 1 gig ddr3 nvidia 9800 and a TB or storage and thought I had it all.  I use L4 on two 17" LCDs and this system really does run sweet but now I'm wondering how much faster would it go with the SSD?

Posts 33
    Stephen Coles | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 5:19 AM

Logos4 struggles so much on my PC (a top of the range laptop two years ago, running Vista Business - 2GB RAM and a two core CPU at 2.2GHz) that I've decided to give up on it - Logos 4 that is, not the PC.  The PC runs everything else just fine - it's only Logos4 that troubles it (it's also the only program that regularly crashes the display - not even Photoshop CS4 troubles it).

I'm switching back to Libronix 3.

Posts 291
    Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2010 7:30 AM

Stephen Coles:

Logos4 struggles so much on my PC (a top of the range laptop two years ago, running Vista Business - 2GB RAM and a two core CPU at 2.2GHz) that I've decided to give up on it - Logos 4 that is, not the PC.  The PC runs everything else just fine - it's only Logos4 that troubles it (it's also the only program that regularly crashes the display - not even Photoshop CS4 troubles it).

I'm switching back to Libronix 3.

Stephen,

I feel your pain but I am surprised that you are experiencing this with your system as it stands. I had similar problems on my office computer with a Pentium 4 system but now I am running Dual core Pentium E5200 with only 2 gig of RAM and I am fairly happy with it. However I am running Windows 7. But a few questions.  Is your display driver for your laptop up to date? Are you running Logos 4 with Internet access enabled and if so what is the speed of your connection? Are all of your other drivers up to date? One thing that may help is to add more RAM although it should run fine with 2 gig.

These are probably questions you have already addressed but I thought I'd ask just to be certain.

Kindest regards,

Bob Schlessman

Home - Core 2 Duo - E8400 @ 3.5 Ghz, two 500 Gig SATA Hard drives, 4 gig RAM, EVGA GT200 PCIE Discrete Graphics, 19"  Widescreen LCD Display

Office - Dual Core Pentium E5200, 80 gig SATA primary & 250 Gig SATA secondary Hard drives, 2 gig RAM, Intel 945GC integrated graphics, 18.5" Widescreen LCD Display

Posts 291
    Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2010 7:37 AM

Doug:

Oh my!  I just built a new system back in January with an i7, 8 gigs of ddr3, 1 gig ddr3 nvidia 9800 and a TB or storage and thought I had it all.  I use L4 on two 17" LCDs and this system really does run sweet but now I'm wondering how much faster would it go with the SSD?

Doug,

It depends on whether your usage is more drive or RAM intensive. When the software is reindexing you would see some benefit with an SSD. If you are up and running with several resources open the SSD wouldn't make that much difference.

How do you like the dual displays on Logos? I have thought about doing something similar even back in Logos 3 days but have been holding off.

Regards,

Bob Schlessman

Posts 8660
    TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2010 7:40 AM

Bob Schlessman:
    How do you like the dual displays on Logos? I have thought about doing something similar even back in Logos 3 days but have been holding off.

Once you've gotten used to the extra realestate, it's hard to go back.  I have three monitors now and mentioned to my wife this morning I wanted a fourth.  I wonder why she just rolled her eyes at me.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS