More RAM or SSD?

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 37 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 149
Bob Schaefer | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2010 7:46 AM

Michael,

I adore my new X201, and have been quite happy with the performance of Logos on it. The integrated graphics in the Intel i-series processors are a considerable improvement over previous chips. I think you'll find the X201 to be a very capable machine, and the benefits of the form factor and build quality are worth whatever tradeoff there may be in the graphics performance. It's also wonderful to be able to run my computer all day on a single charge, using the 9 cell battery! It's amazing how your perception of mobile computing changes when you no longer need to consider where the nearest power outlet is whenever you move to a new location.

I'm excited to be taking my new computer to my first Camp Logos in two weeks. It'll be nice not to lug around a ginormous beast, and run on battery power the whole time.

Now, all that said, please bear in mind that I was upgrading from a mid-level 2006 laptop which ran Logos 4, but chugged quite a bit when doing so. My expectations for Logos' performance on my new ThinkPad may have been pretty low, accordingly. ;)

Open the box! You'll love it.

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2010 7:47 AM

Jerry M:

Michael Parry -Thomas:
I am using a USB flash drive as my virtual RAM,  I've seen a big improvement in performance size 1950 MB 

I am not very computer literate, but I was wondering if you could elaborate about this.  Is this something I should check into?

I have platinum on a Sony Vaio laptop.  Intel T4400 2.2 GHz

4 gig memory

320 gig hard drive (5400 rpm)

Intel graphics 4500m 

I would be nice to get a moderately priced performance gain.

Jerry,

Just to clarify for you. Readyboost is not the same as what Michael is refering to. Michael is talking about using flash memory to put his page file on. In WIndows XP which is what Michael has, you don't have a Readyboost option. Readyboost is strictly for Vista or Windows 7. Readyboost is in addition to your standard page file (or virtual memory whichever you prefer) and it didn't work that great for Vista or so I understand. But I use it for WIndows 7 on my home system and there does seem to be a performance boost. But as Michael said, you can set up virtual memory on your flash drive and remove the pagefile from your hard drive and gain some speed. As long as you don't forget to plug in the flash drive before starting your laptop this works great.

Regards,

Bob

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2010 7:52 AM

Thomas Black:

I have three monitors now and mentioned to my wife this morning I wanted a fourth.  I wonder why she just rolled her eyes at me.

I know that look to which you are refering Thomas. I get that from my wife any time I get excited about "computer geek stuff". But then she does lovingly refer to me as her "live-in tech support".   :-)

Posts 236
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2010 8:38 AM

Oh my is this x201 awesome.  Really amazing.  After 15 years of Dells, I didn't know what I was missing.  Don't get me wrong, I loved my dells, they make a fine product.  But this small form and power and long battery life are truly amazing.  Logos 4 just hums right along on it, exactly as fast as any computer I've used it on.  You're right Bob.  This machine changes the game.  Just right.  

Windows PC - Android Phone - Surface Pro 4

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2010 1:31 PM

Bob Schlessman:

How do you like the dual displays on Logos? I have thought about doing something similar even back in Logos 3 days but have been holding off.

Regards,

Bob Schlessman

I do like having two monitors.  They are both 17" LCDs.  I have a friend who has a single 24" Widescreen monitor and he appears to have about the same amount of screen space.  Now, having two of those would be great.  But I am thankful just to have the rig I have.  It makes for a pretty good experience with L4.  I don't have to wait around very long to get things done.  Just thought the SSD would speed the entire system up.

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2010 1:33 PM

Thomas Black:
Once you've gotten used to the extra realestate, it's hard to go back.  I have three monitors now and mentioned to my wife this morning I wanted a fourth.  I wonder why she just rolled her eyes at me.
I get that too.  Totally disrespectful!  Wink

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2010 1:38 PM

Michael March:

Oh my is this x201 awesome.  Really amazing.  After 15 years of Dells, I didn't know what I was missing.  Don't get me wrong, I loved my dells, they make a fine product.  But this small form and power and long battery life are truly amazing.  Logos 4 just hums right along on it, exactly as fast as any computer I've used it on.  You're right Bob.  This machine changes the game.  Just right.  

Congrats!  I'm going to be in the market for a new laptop soon too.  You've maybe broadened my range of acceptable machines.  Enjoy the new machine.

Posts 517
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 7:26 AM

I've gone for a compromise with 500GB hard drive and 4GB RAM within a hybrid hard drive (Seagate Momentus XT http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=9410&NOT=OK).

Moving from 5400rpm to this as a fast and responsinve 7200rpm, along with the 4GB for (almost ) instant access of frequently accessed files, resulted in a doubling of speed (subjective, I know) after cloning my old hard drive across to the new one (i.e. same operating system and files on the new drive).  It is the difference in speed that I would have expected from getting a new laptop.  Excel opens a blank sheet in about 0.2s, Word opens in just a few secs, scrolling ESV seems a lot faster, etc.  It's a relatively expensive upgrade, but it saves so much time.  Even those files that aren't cached are so much faster. 

I also partitioned it to 100GB for system and files with other media (large files like photos, music, rarely used downloads, etc) in the other partition.  This is because the access times are faster for the first 20-25% of the drive.  It's made a hugh difference. 

I'm shortly going to upgrade to Win 7, so that I can see all of my 4GB RAM used, instead of the limit at 3GB that XP has.

However, in L4 I still have to wait for up to 5s to see the words I type appear in the notes, but that is another matter...

Posts 149
Bob Schaefer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 7:45 AM

Upgrading my X201 one day to a hybrid or solid state drive might be a good way to keep it from getting long in the tooth. I've thought for quite a while that hybrid drives made a lot of sense - it's good to hear someone's finally making a drive that capitalizes on this technology.

Posts 33
Stephen Coles | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 8:06 AM

Drivers are as up to date as Sony will provide (by that I mean I have Sony's Vaio Update running and it reports everything at latest.  I run with the MB/Intel graphics option because that actually gives me a more solid system (with dual display) than the higher speed option.  Works fine with Ligtroom and Photoshop - may take a few seconds to process occasional display updates but only Logos4 actually crashes it and pushes it to a 16bit restore.  I find it hard to accept that a well programmed application like Logos4 should find 32bit graphics an issue!

Internet connected and broadband speed typically 4MB/s - fast enough for live TV (BBC iPlayer).

Such is technology.  I've also got Logos4 installed on my "netbook" - a Sony SX with the top spec Atom CPU, 2GB RAM and 160GB SSD; Logos4 runs but not comfortably (as I'd expect, considering the issues with my main PC) - it's there as a backup, just in case...

It's disappointing that Logos4 seems to need a games spec'd PC rather than a business or home/student one.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 8:30 AM

I understand Stephen, in large part this is due to the WPF foundation.  Hopefully this will position Logos to be effective for a long time though.  

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 338
Michael Parry-Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 5:46 PM

Hi everybody

I've just been doing some more testing

please see image for the search results, I am using 2 monitors

I've searched my whole library for behold Lamb of God

in the whole of the library and I have several books open

I've also got running in the background Dragon naturally speaking 11

anti-virus is switched on but I've set it so it will ignore libronix and Dragon

books 2,759

mick

Mick
Posts 36
Nathan Madison | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 3:22 AM

Stephen: Try windows 7 it does a better job handling the memory resources in the computer  

Nathan Madison

Posts 38
Francis Jeffries | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 8:40 AM

Just a thought.  What Anti virus software are you guys using?  I recently switched from NIS 2010 to McAfee and finally GData.  During the course, I discovered that even though these programs are less resource hungry they do effect your application performance.  Meaning they are checking threads and procedure calls to ensure that no spyware, rootkit nor virus has compromised your system.  Anyway, in GData I decided to control my firewall manually.  All my applications process faster.  In particular my Nero 9.  This program would hang upon closing, but now it opens quickly and shutdowns quickly.  Perform a test with and without the Antivirus software.  Just a thought. 

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 8:46 AM

In some anti-virus spyware you can go into the settings and have it exclude Logos by pasting the path into the exclusion box, this may speed Logos up some, I am not sure.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 8:57 AM

Bob Schaefer:
I'm excited to be taking my new computer to my first Camp Logos in two weeks. It'll be nice not to lug around a ginormous beast, and run on battery power the whole time.

You can run on battery power all day at Camp Logos, but you don't need to. They set up the room with extension cords and powerstrips all along each row of tables, so everyone can be plugged in all day, if they so choose.

Posts 149
Bob Schaefer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 9:02 AM

Rosie Perera:

You can run on battery power all day at Camp Logos, but you don't need to. They set up the room with extension cords and powerstrips all along each row of tables, so everyone can be plugged in all day, if they so choose.

I sorta suspected that would be the case. It would be very hard to conduct that sort of workshop without providing AC to the participants. Still, it's nice only to be tethered if I choose to be. Smile

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 2:08 PM

Nathan Madison:

Stephen: Try windows 7 it does a better job handling the memory resources in the computer  

That is very true Stephen. And there is no better time than now to buy it. For a limited time Microsoft is again offering the three pack of WIndows 7 Home Premium upgrade for $149.95 (Dell is even offering it for $139.95). That is how I upgraded to WIndows 7 last year when it was first released. Saved a bunch of money since I had three computers to upgrade. My home system, my wife's and my church office system.

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS