Suggestion: The *complete* Works of Jonathan Edwards

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 56 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 18710
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 3 2010 12:03 AM

I'm realizing that The Works of Jonathan Edwards (the 2-volume public domain version published by Logos) is inadequate for any serious study of Edwards' work. I am reading Marsden's biography of him right now for a class, and Marsden mentions a couple of his early sermons which I wanted to look up in Logos and read ("The Pleasantness of Religion" and "A Spiritual Understanding of Divine Things Denied to the Unregenerate"). But they are not included. Marsden cites the definitive edition of Edwards' works, which is in fact also cited several times by other works in my Logos library. It's frustrating not to have it available.

So, I would like to put in a request for it:

The Works of Jonathan Edwards, Perry Miller, John E. Smith, Harry S. Stout, general editors; 26 volumes (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1957-2008).

Edwards is considered by many to be "America's most important religious figure" (blurb from back of Marsden's biography), so it behooves Logos to have his complete works, not just the public domain stuff.

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 12:11 AM

I would LOVE to have this, but with a retail price of over $2,500 in print I fear it's never going to happen. This set was destined only for libraries, not for mere mortals.

Posts 2703
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 12:12 AM

Yes PleaseYesYesYesStarStarStarParadiseCoolMusicMusicMusicGeekedDrinks

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 18710
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 12:31 AM

Mark Barnes:
This set was destined only for libraries....

Yes. So? I have a library.

Posts 401
Timothy Ha | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 6:49 AM

Rosie Perera:
The Works of Jonathan Edwards, Perry Miller, John E. Smith, Harry S. Stout, general editors; 26 volumes (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1957-2008).

After Yale has put their collection of Edwards online, it would be quite easy for them to cooperate with Logos for a Logos version, I guess.

JesusChrist.ru - Russian Christian Portal, with free Bible software; Timh.ru - blog

Posts 59
Westie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2010 11:00 PM

This would be worth breaking the piggy bank for....

Posts 26
Peter Comont | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 28 2011 2:58 AM

I'd love it too.  Though it would have to be significantly discounted.

Posts 50
Eric Woernle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 30 2011 6:00 PM

Yes Yes this would be great!!!! Couldn't Logos just expand their addition and add those Works of Edwards that they are missing...Like a Works upgrade...that might be more cost effective for them...But these lost works need to make it into my Logos Library for sure.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 30 2011 9:54 AM

Here's my yes vote Yes.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 2278
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 30 2011 10:23 AM

YesYesYes

Posts 36
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2011 6:32 AM

I will buy it. I want it. I want that collection more than I want most others.

Special thanks to Rosie for the temptation to covet something new. Big Smile

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2011 8:09 AM

You're right on Rosie. YesIdea

Posts 18710
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2011 12:30 PM

Mark:
Special thanks to Rosie for the temptation to covet something new. Big Smile

My pleasure. I feel less guilty about it myself if others are joining me in the covetousness.

Posts 497
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 31 2011 12:50 PM

Rosie Perera:

So, I would like to put in a request for it:

Yes

I was just thinking about this set the earlier this week, hoping for it to be offered in Logos someday! I think I made the suggestion back when we were all using the Newsgroups even!

Rosie, if you want to look up the sermon, I'm sure you can find it online. The group has not only put all 26 volumes online for free, but an additional 50 or so volumes that, I guess, wont be published in print form.

Here's the webpage for that: http://edwards.yale.edu/research/browse

Posts 2925
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2011 12:55 PM

Would love to have these in my digital library. I too remember discussing and suggesting it back in the day when we were all in the newsgroup. We seemed to get indications that we should be hopeful. I wonder what happened.

http://yalepress.yale.edu/OnlineCatalog.asp?catalog=1105488#section1105487

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 2925
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2011 12:58 PM

Greg Masone:

Here's the webpage for that: http://edwards.yale.edu/research/browse

They sure put a lot of effort into that page and it sure is difficult to use. The digitization of the text has been done, so it would seem to be an easy matter to get it into Logos...it would be incredibly more useful there.

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 2925
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2011 1:00 PM

Some of the in-print editions are going out of print: http://www.solid-ground-books.com/search.asp?searchtext=Yale+University+Press+edition+

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 23 2011 10:36 AM

I can't help but YesYesYesYesYesing this.

Posts 2925
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 8:11 PM

Halo Hound:

I can't help but YesYesYesYesYesing this.

No kidding...of all sets out there, this one is just begging for publication in Logos

Jacob Hantla
gbcaz.org

Posts 124
Dennis Hilario | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 24 2011 8:31 PM

Yes! Count me in. Yes Yes

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS