Page 3 of 4 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 69 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3317
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 2:07 PM | Locked

This is hiliarious.

Posts 232
AndyTheGreek | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 2:09 PM | Locked

Milkman:
maybe you could suggest the proper form for this to have been inniated in the first place

Probably had you simply asked: 

Milkman:
In order to start a personal Bible study FOR MYSELF AND NOBODY ELSE on the topic of the immortal soul where should "I" begin to look

and titled it in a simple way: "Help needed with study project" or something equally bland then you would have received plain and simple answers.

Andy

Posts 232
AndyTheGreek | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 2:22 PM | Locked

MJ. Smith:
Would the poster feel comfortable and welcomed by the post if they were JW or Christadelphian?

Good question. I myself belong to a 'minority religion' - after the tone of some of the posts I have read in this and other posts I am hesitant to say which one. I am well aware that having beliefs outside of the mainstream 'truth' can lead to challenges. Polite requests for clarification are fine. Being labelled 'heretic', 'cult', 'false prophet', 'brainwashed', 'weeds', and so forth is another thing altogether. 

The reason I study the Bible in the original languages, particularly Greek, is to seek, not affirmation that I am 'right' but simply truth. Over the years (I've been doing these studies for decades) I have adjusted my beliefs many times because I found, from the Bible, that I was mistaken. The church I belong to has done likewise. 

So, I guess when I saw where this thread seemed to be heading I just 'waded in' in defense of the 'little guy'. I had no intention of provoking or upsetting anyone. If I did, I apologize.

Andy

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 2:37 PM | Locked

the world wide web and Logos' wide user base has made this topic all the more touchy.  I think the Milkman has several things to think about now, soooooo, all that is left is to start a new thread on "milkman memories." Big Smile

I loved taking our fresh milk (that I personally extracted from a cow . . . ) and letting the cream rise, and pouring that cream over a bowl of freshly picked black raspberries.  mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 232
AndyTheGreek | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 2:51 PM | Locked

Dan DeVilder:
I loved taking our fresh milk (that I personally extracted from a cow . . . ) and letting the cream rise, and pouring that cream over a bowl of freshly picked black raspberries.  mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm more of a cheesecake man myself - with a large helping of clotted cream (that I personally purchased from a supermarket). I have been known to have this for breakfast. I kid you not...Cool

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 3:20 PM | Locked

MJ. Smith:
However, some of the posts crossed the propriety line

I'm guilty of that, I'm sure.  I had no intentions of inappropriate post; just trying to provide feedback on a statement from the OP.  Sorry. Sad

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 3:35 PM | Locked

Andy Bell:

Dan DeVilder:

I'm more of a cheesecake man myself - with a large helping of clotted cream (that I personally purchased from a supermarket). I have been known to have this for breakfast. I kid you not...Cool

Yes!  Thank you!  *smile*  Good memories, indeed ....

I'll have to check it out, but I haven't seen "clotted cream" (which I appreciate immensely!!) on the supermarket shelves here in Canada for "a coon's age," maybe never.  Reminds me of pleasant trips to the UK!       My wife loves High Tea!

Peace!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 10853
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 3:46 PM | Locked

Milkman:
When it gets to be 80-90 degrees or 40 below zero, the coolers come in very handy especially if I drop of the milk at 3 in the morning.

All these milk route posts brought back multiple memories of when I assisted my father and uncle in milk deliveries. Dad had the residential route while Bill had the commercial one. Never had to battle 40 below in North Carolina, but I can remember the early morning starts.

Thanks for the memories.

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 4:12 PM | Locked

Ok forum fans I think this is the last time I'm entering.

But to make everyone happy, and since I'm somewhat of a people pleaser plus I do own my own milk business I have decided to do the following:

1. Free milk delivery for everyone who entered the forum
  2. One years supply of your favourite dairy product
  3. Free coolers if you live in a cold area of the States or Canada
  4. Milk To Go drinks for the kids
  5. So Good or So Nice products for those who may be lactose intolerant (last thing we need on the thread :)
  6. A life time supply of chocolate milk or at least until you get sick of it.

Time for the milkman to sign off and hit the hay, midnight comes early these days and my customers need their delivery on time tomorrow.

It's been interesting. Got milk? You will from now on - mooooo

mm.

Posts 59
Eric Ruhnow | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 4:30 PM | Locked

@All

First and foremost, I humbly ask forgiveness for running roughshod on the forum guidelines earlier. My comment was inappropriate in this forum and for the original question posted. This topic is a burden for me and my wife, and is one of the areas I wrestle with to keep my composure regarding (which I failed at again last night).

@Dan

Would love to talk more if you are interested. Not too cool here yet (Central Texas), but the shorts + jacket crowd are starting to pop up here and there in the early mornings. If you'd like to take this off forum, drop me a line at eruhnow AT gmail DOT com.

Again, my appologies for not doing ANYTHING to contribute to the original question posted.

Lenovo TS130 Xeon E3-1245V2 | 20GB | 256 GB SSD (OS and Logos) | 3TB WD Red | Windows 10 Pro x64

L4 & L5 Platinum, L6 Gold, L5 Reformed Gold, L6 Reformed Bronze, L7 Lutheran Silver, L7 Reformed Starter, L7 Full Feature Set

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 6:07 PM | Locked

Hi Everyone,

While the motives may have all been well-intentioned, the words we use can oft be misunderstood. The Logos forums are set up to aid in making better use of the software. If God lays it on your heart to be evangelistic, go on out there and do it. Just try to preserve the peace and goodwill of our Logos family. We can always pray for everyone who uses Logos to be drawn closer to God through their study of the Bible.

There is no problem that I can see in asking for help in finding available Logos resources. I, for one, have asked for the New World Translation to be made available in Logos The more resources we have, the easier it will be to conduct a true in-depth study.

MILKMAN: My very first job was dairy delivery in the Southern Japan Alps. We made a trip over the mountain top, bringing back many milk cans and separating the cream.  (very good childhood memories.)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 6:58 PM | Locked

How great that must have been to delivery over the Japaneese Alps! I only have flat roads here on the Prairies.

I agree misunderstandings do happen and for one I'm quite impressed with Eric' apology - way to go Eric!

Evangelism is very close to my heart, not as much as before, but still there.

mm.

Posts 33859
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 11:14 PM | Locked

Andy Bell:
I myself belong to a 'minority religion' - after the tone of some of the posts I have read in this and other posts I am hesitant to say which on

Andy, that is exactly what I want to make people stop and think about - even if it sometimes makes me look like the "bad cop" I hope that more people will begin to say "hey, this might make nnnn uncomfortable so this is NOT the place to say it." I know that it's hard to find an exact dividing line but still ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2855
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 12:15 AM | Locked

Phil Gons Posted: Tue, Jan 19 2010 11:23 AM | Locked

Please abide by the following guidelines as you interact on our forums.

1. Please keep your discussions focused on Logos Bible Software: our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc.
  2. Please do not discuss or debate biblical, theological, or other controversial topics. Use one of the many web forums intended for these kinds of discussions.
  3. Please treat each other with the love, courtesy, respect, and kindness that you would if you were sitting in your living room together.
  4. Please do not use our forums to
    • sell or give away anything or link to anything you’re selling or giving away—including Logos products
    • promote or link to competitors
    • point people to other places that sell Logos-compatible products
    • advertise yourself, your business, your ministry, your website, etc. (a tasteful link in your forum signature is acceptable)
    • post Logos Coupon Codes. If you are aware of a special promotion Logos is running online, you are welcome to link directly to the promotion.
  5. Please search before posting. It’s likely that someone has already asked your question.
  6. Please help others follow these guidelines. If the problems continue after you’ve given a gentle reminder of these expectations, please click “Report Abuse” under “More” or send an email to forums@logos.com.

Thank you for your cooperation. Enjoy discussing and learning about Logos Bible Software.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 5:12 AM | Locked

Sometimes folks need a "bad cop" to get them back in line.

Matthew 7:12 In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 6:58 AM | Locked

MJ. Smith:
even if it sometimes makes me look like the "bad cop"

OK, precious people of the Logos user family,

We have our "good cop" ---  Me!  Cool

We have our "bad cop"   ---- MJ   Hmm

And our "really bad cop"  ----  Ted  Hans Super Angry  (quoting The Godfather: Phil Gons Angry )

That is about all the thread needs to be a wrap.  Movie   No offense intended to  real cops or Mario Puzo & friends.Wilted Flower

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2010 10:15 AM | Locked

Matthew C Jones:

MJ. Smith:
even if it sometimes makes me look like the "bad cop"

OK, precious people of the Logos user family,

We have our "good cop" ---  Me!  Cool

We have our "bad cop"   ---- MJ   Hmm

And our "really bad cop"  ----  Ted  Hans Super Angry  (quoting The Godfather: Phil Gons Angry )

That is about all the thread needs to be a wrap.  Movie   No offense intended to  real cops or Mario Puzo & friends.Wilted Flower

And, to quote Monty Python, "That's a fair cop."

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 7:08 AM | Locked

Normal 0 false false false EN-US ZH-CN X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Milkman, I suggest a careful read of the very resources with which Logos has so helpfully provided. The fact is that the scholarly consensus on this subject has shifted quite dramatically. Here's a series of quotes from the relevant scholarly literature in my Logos collection.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US ZH-CN X-NONE Myers (ed.), ‘The Eerdmans Bible Dictionary’, p. 518 (1987).

* ‘Indeed, the salvation of the “immortal soul” has sometimes been a commonplace in preaching, but it is fundamentally unbiblical. Biblical anthropology is not dualistic but monistic: human being consists in the integrated wholeness of body and soul, and the Bible never contemplates the disembodied existence of the soul in bliss.’

Cressey, ‘Dualism’, in Cressey, Wood, & Marshall (eds.), ‘New Bible Dictionary’, p. 284 (3rd. ed. 1996).

* ‘But to the Bible man is not a soul in a body but a body/soul unity; so true is this that even in the resurrection, although flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, we shall still have bodies (1 Cor. 15:35ff.).’

Moon, ‘Soul’, in Benner & Hill (eds.), ‘Baker encyclopedia of psychology & counseling, p. 1148 (2nd  ed. 1999).

* ‘Modern scholarship has underscored the fact that Hebrew and Greek concepts of soul were not synonymous. While the Hebrew thought world distinguished soul from body (as material basis of life), there was no question of two separate, independent entities. A person did not have a body but was an animated body, a unit of life manifesting itself in fleshly form—a psychophysical organism (Buttrick, 1962). Although Greek concepts of the soul varied widely according to the particular era and philosophical school, Greek thought often presented a view of the soul as a separate entity from body. Until recent decades Christian theology of the soul has been more reflective of Greek (compartmentalized) than Hebrew (unitive) ideas.’

Avery-Peck, ‘Soul’, in Neusner, et al. (eds.), ‘The Encyclopedia of Judaism’, p. 1343 (2000).

* ‘Even as we are conscious of the broad and very common biblical usage of the term “soul,” we must be clear that Scripture does not present even a rudimentarily developed theology of the soul.’

Ferguson & Packer (eds.),New Dictionary of Theology’, pp. 28-29 (electronic ed. 2000).

* ‘Similarly, the popular debate concerning whether human nature is a bipartite or tripartite being has the appearance of a rather ill-founded and unhelpful irrelevancy. The human person is a ‘soul’ by virtue of being a ‘body’ made alive by the ‘breath’ (or ‘Spirit’) of God.

Elwell & Comfort (eds.),Tyndale Bible dictionary, p. 1216 (2001).

* ‘There is no suggestion in the OT of the transmigration of the soul as an immaterial, immortal entity. Man is a unity of body and soul—terms that describe not so much two separate entities in a person as much as one person from different standpoints. Hence, in the description of man’s creation in Genesis 2:7, the phrase “a living soul” (kjv) is better translated as “a living being.”’

Cooper, ‘Immortality’, in Fahlbusch & Bromiley (eds.), ‘The Encyclopedia of Christianity’, volume 2, p. (2003).

* ‘The Hebrew Bible does not present the human soul (nepeš) or spirit (rûah) as an immortal substance, and for the most part it envisions the dead as ghosts in Sheol, the dark, sleepy underworld.’

Lake, ‘Soul’, in Silva & Tenney (eds.), ‘The Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible’, volume 5, p. 586 (rev. ed. 2009).

* ‘The English translation of nepeš by the term “soul” has too often been misunderstood as teaching a bipartite (soul and body—dichotomy) or tripartite (body, soul, and spirit—trichotomy) anthropology. Equally misleading is the interpretation that too radically separates soul from body as in the Greek view of human nature.’

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 116
Chris Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 8:54 AM | Locked

Why do we make things so difficult?

When all else fails...Read the instructions. Big Smile                            

1 Tim 6:15-16
which He will bring about at the proper time — He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen.
NASU

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2010 9:55 AM | Locked

Abi Gail:
who alone possesses immortality

wha? wha?   Wink

good choice, sir.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Page 3 of 4 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS