Making L4 Hum like a red corvette

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 427
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 5 2010 9:54 AM

OK, 

In L3, we could make collections and when the passage guide fired off, it would search that collection without mercy and put it in my face and I knew it had searched that collection.  In L4, I don't really see a method for this and the "collections" seem very cumbersome to me.  I know it should search "everything" in the passage and exegetical guide, but what does a power user do when they buy something relatively expensive like the Hermeneia, NIGTC, Sheffield Clark, the Sheffield Reader or JSOT or whatever.  Do you make a collection in L4 and put everything in that collection?  Is "prioritizing" all it takes?  

I knew tons about L2 and L3, but  with L4 I feel like a 10 year old with that new corvette his dad just bought.  It seems so powerful, but I don't have a clue as to how to tame it.  

I've seen the video on prioritizing, is there anything else I need to be aware of yet?

Wilson Hines

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 9:58 AM

Prioritizing is quite powerful.  For resources like Hermenia - which are commentaries, they will automatically show up in the passage guides under that heading.

Otherwise, while the collections do take getting used to in L4 - it's worth it (definitely!) to spend the time learning it.  Check out the wiki: Collections.  

Then you can add those collections to custom guides: Customizing the Passage and Exegetical Guides or perform searches just on those collections.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 10:14 AM

i am in the process of updating the Prioritize section of the Library, here is one of the images which shows a relationship of PG to Commentary correlation.

For the time being there is info in the wiki on Prioritization.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 12:11 PM

I'm hoping to go to the Morris Proctor seminar in LOndon in Feb, so hope to learn painlessly how to make collections then, and pick up his L4 manuals, post free!  Wish he'd do them as a download for us underprivileged non-Americans....Crying

Posts 19177
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 12:39 PM

Wilson Hines:
 I know it should search "everything" in the passage and exegetical guide, but what does a power user do when they buy something relatively expensive like the Hermeneia, NIGTC, Sheffield Clark, the Sheffield Reader or JSOT or whatever.  Do you make a collection in L4 and put everything in that collection?

In your circumstances, I would probably create a couple of collections: one for scholarly commentaries, and one for scholarly monographs. Creating the collections can seem pretty cumbersome at first, but once you learn to use the rules for dynamic collections, using Library fields (series, etc.) it becomes quite simple. You can either list the commentary sets by name in the rule like this:

Hermeneia OR NIGTC

Or you can tag all the commentaries that you want included in your scholarly commentary collection with a single tag (e.g. ScholComm) and then use the rule:

tag:ScholComm

Read up on tagging here: http://wiki.logos.com/Library__#Tagging

Then once you've got your collections set up, make a customized Passage Guide with at least these two sections in it, one for scholarly commentaries and one for scholarly monographs. Note that a Commentaries section behaves differently than a Collection section, so select the right type of section for each collection.

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 3:38 PM

Thanks Rosie, that customized PG is exactly what I've been missing.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 5576
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 3:39 PM

Rosie Perera:

Or you can tag all the commentaries that you want included in your scholarly commentary collection with a single tag (e.g. ScholComm) and then use the rule:

tag:ScholComm

I tag slightly differently, but not too much.  I just use a single tag:Scholar whether it be a commentary or monograph.  And then when I build a collection I then use the rule  mytag:Scholar AND type:commentary , and in another collection mytag:Scholar ANDNOT type:commentary.  This second collection allows me to capture resouces I've designated as scholarly that's not a commentary. Most typically these will be monographs but I've left some room for flexibility by not limiting this general collection to type monograph so I can also include say a dictionary, encyclopaedia etc, such as Anchor Yale in this collection, if I feel it was going to add value to my basic searches. Just a personal preference.  Limiting to only monographs works equally well and Roise may say better Smile

I then use the collections as Rosie has designated in here PG screen shot

What this slight variation offers then is I can go to filter a search to all resources sources I have designated as scholarly regardless of type  using  mytag:scholar or if I want to limit it to one of the more narrow scholar collections based on resource type,  I choose on of those instead to filter my search.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS