Sentence Diagramming

Page 3 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 65 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2011 7:07 AM

Jack Caviness:
Could the .zip file possibly be too large for the forum software?
Terry, Would you like to post it on StillTruth?  send me an email via tcblack with the still truth  address and I'll set you up an FTP account you can link from.  

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 25 2011 7:08 AM

Here is the permanent link to the file

http://www.mediafire.com/?nxyp38za6otu8l8

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 28 2011 4:48 PM

Good problem solving guys...Hmm

Posts 1
Larry Blanchard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 22 2011 6:17 AM

Terry, Could you send me the Koineworks program? My email is: lejmblanc@gmail.com Thanks, Larry

Posts 128
Terry Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 22 2011 6:43 AM

Larry look at the post right above yours. It provides a link to the file. After trying a number of different things I was unable to post it here.

Terry

sDg

Posts 3
Thomas Riley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 14 2012 1:07 PM

Terry,

I would like to look at or have sent to me anything you can on sentence diagramming and any examples of the Bible that you have done. Thank you.

Posts 178
DavidS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 14 2012 1:36 PM

Robert Pavich:

Here is the permanent link to the file

http://www.mediafire.com/?nxyp38za6otu8l8

I get a deleted file error on this link.

Posts 128
Terry Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 14 2012 2:05 PM

Thomas Riley:

Terry,

I would like to look at or have sent to me anything you can on sentence diagramming and any examples of the Bible that you have done. Thank you.

Thomas,

The Reed/Kellogg method is designed for English but adapts pretty well into Greek. The Reed/Kellogg "original" is online at the Gutenberg site. Some of the fellas using Logos prefer other types of diagramming but I think they're inferior to the R/K method.

Books and resources that are helpful in understanding R/K style diagramming are available through Amazon by searching for 'sentence diagramming'. Also, do a Google for the same - I have a dozen or so bookmarks. You might find Richard Belcher's booklet somewhere. It's small but helpful. As far as Logos resources - Diagrammatical Analysis is available and chapter five (Diagramming and Conducting a Grammatical Analysis) of Schreiner's Interpreting the Pauline Epistles is worth the price of the book. Other than this I can't offer you any help.

For me, diagramming is trial and error and there is no right/wrong answer in many cases. My preferred method is to do the diagram in sections that are contextually a unit. I break it down into its independent clauses as they are found in the Epistle. Find the main verb and go from there. Once I have a tentative construction I get a tentative translation and then return to the construction for adjustments. Precede until the entire section is "done" and make changes as needed.

Terry
sDg

Posts 5
Gavin Didrichsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 5 2012 2:29 PM

Hi Terry,

You're the first person I've discovered that is also using Reed Kellog diagramming to study their bible.  I've just recently finished the book of Hebrews.  I love the way this diagramming technique effectively distills out the core clauses.  Do you know of any bible study groups that do similar diagramming?  I'd love to get involved.

Thanks,

Gavin.

Posts 128
Terry Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 5 2012 4:03 PM

!!! Gavin!!! A fellow R/K aficionado!! I would love to see your Hebrews work. All my diagrams are available here, so if you posted yours (assuming their in Logos format) someone can make them available to the community. Even if they're not in Logos format I'd still love to see them.

I'm working on 2Peter right now...... tough sledding, but Hebrews is in my very near future.

sDg

Terry

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 5 2012 4:52 PM

Terry Cook:
!!! Gavin!!! A fellow R/K aficionado!! I would love to see your Hebrews work

Peace to Terry and Gavin!            *smile*                        Am looking forward to studying your material if you decide to share it!               Am not great at doing sentence diagrams myself although that is one of the many, many L4 projects I have slated for myself.     Love reading and studying God's Word!

Terry, your sharings are here:             http://wiki.logos.com/Tools_and_Files_supplied_by_users

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 178
Steve Shelton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 6 2012 8:24 AM

Learning NT Greek Now and Then  by David Parker is a good easy book on Greek and diagramming.  It is in Logos and uses NA27 for teaching Greek Diagramming.

Posts 128
Terry Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 6 2012 9:44 AM

I have this resource and hadn't looked at it much until reading your comment. The booklet is very basic and considering there's next to nothing for diagramming Greek sentences this can be a good beginner resource. The explanations of some of the difficulties a diagrammer might expect are good. For example page 166 he explains, "The verb is an equative so takes a predicate nominative rather than an accusative object. But which nominative is subject and which predicate? A rule of Greek grammar is that when one of the nominatives takes the article and the other does not, the one with the article is the subject." There are many such simple but useful explanations to move the diagrammer along.

I would however quibble with the way Parker teaches the dative, the relative pronoun and the compound sentence. I also do not approve of the way he diagrams prepositions (pg 44). His diagramming of Luke 1.2 on page 113 is clearly wrong. The actual method of diagramming then is quite different from the method I use.

Having said this let me say also that diagramming is more about digging into the Scripture than being "right" or "wrong". Determining relationships among words, phrases, paragraphs and sentences is the goal. If in the end nuggets have been mined then no method is "wrong." However, the method Parker uses in his booklet mimics the R/K method only slightly and is very little like the tool I use.

Terry

sDg

Posts 5
Gavin Didrichsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 9 2012 9:44 AM

Hi Terry:  Yes, I love this R/K too!  Unfortunately, I've done all my diagrams with pencil and coloured pencil...  If I can figure out a way to colour scan all this into PDF...I'll do so.  

I didn't know that Logos had software to do sentence diagramming.  I'm investigating now...

Thanks,

Gavin.

Posts 32
Daryle Froese | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 25 2014 5:07 AM

The KoineWorks Diagramming software package is still available at http://ericsowell.com/blog/2009/1/18/koineworks-diagramming

Posts 1
Richard L. Simonsen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 2 2014 9:27 PM

Terry,

Can you send me the zip file for Koineworks?

______@gmail.com

Posts 24
Daniel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2015 5:12 AM

Do you know any good books for learning tree diagramming?

Posts 418
davidphillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2015 10:19 AM

Daniel,

Schreiner has an excellent section on diagramming in Interpreting the Pauline EpistlesAlso, Kantenwein has a book specifically devoted to the topic, Diagrammatical AnalysisKantenwein is cheaper, but Schreiner's book covers more ground and might be more useful in the long run. There are also some aspects of Kantenwein that I'm not a fan of, such as his approach to using diagrams in preaching.

Hope that helps!

Posts 4590
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 6 2015 10:44 AM

Daniel:

Do you know any good books for learning tree diagramming?

You mat want to check this video out. It is about 1.5 hours long, but it has some good basic information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV4pvmmfilo

Posts 24
Daniel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 7 2015 6:43 AM

davidphillips:

Schreiner has an excellent section on diagramming in Interpreting the Pauline EpistlesAlso, Kantenwein has a book specifically devoted to the topic, Diagrammatical AnalysisKantenwein is cheaper, but Schreiner's book covers more ground and might be more useful in the long run. There are also some aspects of Kantenwein that I'm not a fan of, such as his approach to using diagrams in preaching.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, I've read Diagrammatical Analysis and was looking specifically for tree diagramming help. Interpreting the Pauline Episltes looks like an interesting book I'll have to check it out.

Page 3 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS