Clippings, Notes and Passage List: any or all of them?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 38
Tim Bader | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 13 2010 6:12 AM

Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie to Logos 4 (less than a week) but certainly like what I've seen so far.

I've looked through a lot of the information on this site, the forums and the wiki and I can see how to use Notes, Clippings, etc.

However, what I am finding a little confusing is when I should use these different tools?

-and also, how/if I can use them in conjunction with, say the handouts tool?

For example, I can see how Notes are specific to a bible verse but Clippings could be from any resource, but why is there also the passage list option as well?

What can it do that Clippings/Notes can't?

Sorry that's a lot of questions!

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Posts 23662
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2010 6:23 AM

Hi Tim

Welcome to the forums

Tim Bader:
However, what I am finding a little confusing is when I should use these different tools?

The discussion on http://community.logos.com/forums/p/22633/168845.aspx provides some useful thoughts on this.

Tim Bader:
-and also, how/if I can use them in conjunction with, say the handouts tool?

can you be a bit more specific in what you are wanting to do here? Also, please be aware that there is a significant rewrite of the handout tool planned, but we don't know when it will be available.

Tim Bader:
For example, I can see how Notes are specific to a bible verse but Clippings could be from any resource, but why is there also the passage list option as well?

The passage list is great for pulling together all the Bible verses used within a section of a resource, a web page, a text file, etc and so has quite a specific purpose. There is also the ability to perform operations on Passage Lists such as merging or comparing which is very powerful.

Hope this is helpful. Please do raise more detailed questions if required.

Graham

Posts 13411
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2010 6:28 AM

Here's how I use the three things:

• Passage lists are for simple lists of Bible verses. So, I might create a list of verses related to a topic I'm studying. For example, if I was studying the Sabbath, I would add all the verses listed in dictionary articles on the Sabbath to a passage list very quickly. I'll then do some Bible searches (e.g. on 'rest' or 'Sabbath') and add those in too. Later I'll do through the list and delete out the less important references.
  • Clippings I find very useful. I'll collect together all relevant information from any resource. One advantage of clippings is that when you do a search of your whole library, Logos will search the content of clippings, too. You can also add brief notes to clippings if you want.
  • Notes are also powerful. But whilst clippings are a scrapbook of extracts from Logos resources, notes are a notebook of jottings that you have created. Like clippings, they'll be searched by Logos. You can add notes to any part of any resource.

So, in summary:

• Passage lists are very simple lists of Bible verses.
  • Clippings are extracts of Logos resources.
  • Notes are jottings you create yourself.
Posts 38
Tim Bader | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2010 6:59 AM

Thanks very much, that's very helpful (and a speedy response!)

I suppose I'm trying to work out the best tools for "day to day" use and/or what kind of process to use for a study.

So if for example, I want to prepare a study for a small group would a good way forward be to:

1. Run a search on the applicable subject e.g. "Solomon's Temple"

2. Save the results (or part of them) to a passage list for reading/checking through

3. Make notes as I go through the above list using the Notes tool

4. If I find anything where I want to make a direct quote of either a bible verse or something from e.g. a dictionary then add it to a Clippings file

Does that sound a good way forward?

How would I then use these with the handouts feature: do I simply copy and paste information from the notes/clippings, etc and then reorder them?

Thanks,

Tim

Posts 23662
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2010 7:37 AM

Hi Tim

Tim Bader:
1. Run a search on the applicable subject e.g. "Solomon's Temple"

I would use the Passage Guide (easily accessible from the Home Page) as:

this gives you an option of ranges to work from - for this exercise I chose 1 kings 6:1-13.

An overview of the Passage Guide is given at http://wiki.logos.com/Passage_Guide.

People customise them in different ways, but you will get returned a set of relevant resources along with the relevant passage in various translations (depending on how exactly how your library is set up).

I have expanded a couple of the sections in mine to show the sort of things you will get back (the exact details depend on your resources).

Then I would start looking at the Bible section and try to understand what it is saying. Using notes at this point is very helpful.

You can also look at commentaries or other resources on the left-hand side of the PG and the easiest way of collecting together information you find particularly useful is with clippings.

Repeating this with different resources will bring you to a point where you have the basic material you want to use.

You may find that some resources refer to a lot of different passages and pulling these together in a single list is something for the Passage List.

In terms of handouts, the same reference approach  used for the Passage Guide works here.

This will provide a populated handout which you can then modify choosing from a range of items.

At the moment - to the best of my knowledge - there is limited capability of importing information you have created into a handout.

Hope this helps

Graham

Posts 38
Tim Bader | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 15 2010 8:18 AM

Thanks all!

That's very helpful.

God Bless,

Tim

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS