Doing a study on a person.

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 37 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 116
Chris Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 12:54 AM

Rosie Perera:

Abi Gail:
No...It's the last name . It sounds a bit like a line of automobiles. I guess that's all in the ear of the beholder.

It always reminds me of the brand of humidifier we had when I was a kid, DeVilbiss, just like this one. I'm sure Dan would rather I think of that than seeing the word "devil" in his name which many other people do. Wink

He does have an "Impish Grin" ... some have likened him to Snidely Whiplash.

Posts 666 

Forum MVP

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 6:13 AM

Rosie Perera:

Abi Gail:
No...It's the last name . It sounds a bit like a line of automobiles. I guess that's all in the ear of the beholder.

It always reminds me of the brand of humidifier we had when I was a kid, DeVilbiss, just like this one. I'm sure Dan would rather I think of that than seeing the word "devil" in his name which many other people do. Wink

FIRST @ Abi: lol, that was such a tangent, I didn't pick it up, but I sure did laugh.  I appreciate odd stuff like that.

SECOND @ Rosie: Yeah, the "devil" part is kind of "funny", especially since I am a minister.  But my name is pronounced like Cadillac (Abi!) "DeVille-der", not "Devil-der" or "Devile-der".  And I am not related to Bob DeBuilder. (Stick out tongue).  And, I must tell you, trying to come up with a "personalized" license plate has produced some interesting (and scrapped) combinations, not the least which was to do our initials, in order, which at the time our names were "Dan, Angie, Maya, Natasha".  Then we added Dylan (still a problem) and Hayden (messes that up, so to speak).

And . . . get this. . . my wife's father is a plumber.  And her maiden name was "Leek."  I keep telling him he needs to market "Leek's Plumbing" t-shirts.  Tag line something like "the only Leek you'll want in the house" or something.

OHHHHHH--on a trip to Israel, my student traveller ID number was (i kid u not) 666.  And when I called to straighten out some information, I was called "Mr. DEVIL-der".  I started checking my scalp for the mark . . . DevilSurprise

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 116
Chris Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 7:16 AM

Dan DeVilder:
FIRST @ Abi: lol, that was such a tangent, I didn't pick it up, but I sure did laugh.  I appreciate odd stuff like that.

Hi, Dan;

I "sensed" your sense of humor. I do not pick at people I think might be offended by my sick jokes. I love it when the humor is so obscure that it takes a day or two to sink in. It would be a dull world without humor.

Keep smiling ... God bless.

P.S. Sign me up for a Leeks Plumbing shirt.

P.S. to the P.S. You didn't comment on Snidely Whiplash. Now that the 2 pictures are in close proximity, It's much easier to see the family resemblance.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 10:42 AM

Abi Gail:
You didn't comment on Snidely Whiplash

not close at all.  I don't wear a top hat.

Posts 18702
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 1:35 PM

Dan DeVilder:
But my name is pronounced like Cadillac (Abi!) "DeVille-der", not "Devil-der" or "Devile-der". 

Yeah, I knew that, which is why it reminded me of DeVilbiss, which has the emphasis on the second syllable.

If it were pronounced like Cadillac, it would be Devil-der.

Posts 116
Chris Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 2:54 PM

I searched my library for an instance of "DeVille" In an attempt to stay within the Prime Objective.

I found something I didn't know. These Revelations always come at the exact moment that I think I know everything. ... Thank You Logos.

"The word vaudeville owes its existence to a 15th-century French composer, Olivier Basselin. He lived in the valley of Vire, in Normandy, and each of his songs was known as a chanson du Vau de Vire, or ‘song of the valley of Vire’. This was shortened to vau de vire, which became vau de ville, and eventually vaudeville. It was adopted into English in the 18th century, when it denoted a satirical or topical song, especially one performed on the stage."

Soanes, C., & Stevenson, A. (2004). Concise Oxford English dictionary (11th ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.

SurpriseDoes this imply that Dan is French?Surprise

Posts 18702
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 3:21 PM

Abi Gail:

"The word vaudeville owes its existence to a 15th-century French composer, Olivier Basselin. He lived in the valley of Vire, in Normandy, and each of his songs was known as a chanson du Vau de Vire, or ‘song of the valley of Vire’. This was shortened to vau de vire, which became vau de ville, and eventually vaudeville. It was adopted into English in the 18th century, when it denoted a satirical or topical song, especially one performed on the stage."

Fascinating! Thanks for that bit of trivia.

Abi Gail:

No, it implies that he's satirical.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 3:25 PM

Rosie Perera:
If it were pronounced like Cadillac, it would be Devil-der.

I like how you highlighted the syllables.  Was that automated?  Btw, I meant "like Cadillac DeVille" not "like Cadillac".  Got a little jumbled there with the parenthetical note.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 3:28 PM

Rosie Perera:

Fascinating! Thanks for that bit of trivia.

Abi Gail:

No, it implies that he's satirical.

Agreed.  (leave it to you to figure out to what)

Posts 18702
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 3:28 PM

Dan DeVilder:

I like how you highlighted the syllables.  Was that automated?

No, I just selected those letters and pressed Ctrl+B for bold.

Posts 116
Chris Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 3:37 PM

I've got It !!! The argument that my rambling actually falls under the Guidelines. The title of the thread is  "Doing a study on a person",

I just reserved the right to designate the person.Stick out tongue

Posts 18702
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 3:44 PM

Abi Gail:

I've got It !!! The argument that my rambling actually falls under the Guidelines. The title of the thread is  "Doing a study on a person",

I just reserved the right to designate the person.Stick out tongue

And Dan is a biblical person. There's a nice article on him in ABD.

According to most reliable sources, he did not own a Cadillac. Just some donkeys and goats.

Posts 376
Dan Sheppard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 6:50 PM

What do ya know...a Cadill-ass. 

Posts 18702
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 8:11 PM

Dan Sheppard:

What do ya know...a Cadill-ass. 

Hmm, I'm surprised the forum software didn't censor you. It censored me when I mentioned D-i-c-k  Staub's podcast. Turned his first name into ****.

Posts 6483
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 8:44 PM

It didn't censor it  because it's the name of a donkey...LOL...as Peter wrote concerning Balaam, "but he was rebuked for his own transgression: a dumb-ass spake with man’s voice and stayed the madness of the prophet." (ASV 1901).

Posts 18702
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 8:47 PM

Douglas Alvarenga:
It didn't censor it  because it's the name of a donkey...

I know, but D-i-c-k is a person's name. The forum software has a tendency to be selective about censoring things that have dual meanings.

Posts 6483
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 9:09 PM

Rosie,

Here's the real reason why it didn't censor it - The example I gave you the text says "dumb ass" but I put it as one word with a line in between "dumb-ass." The software won't censor me saying-*** because of the line that I added without spacing.  So it reads it as one word and the software is dumb enough it can't detect the trick... Surprise Just don't tell anybody about this...hehehe...Zip it!

Posts 6483
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 16 2010 9:10 PM

Nevermind, I thought I had it, but I guess the software really despises the name d-ick.

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS