Nees help with L4 search tooks

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 401
Sam West | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 19 2010 1:59 PM

In my precept home work this week I am to find out everything I can about “boasting”, “servant”, and “steward”. My questions: can someone tell me every tool within L4 to research these words? I know about word study, commentaries and all the different dictionaries. Is there something else that some you guys use that I may be overlooking?

Thanks for the help

Posts 63
Scot Jefferies | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 2:11 PM

Sam,

I'm not sure if you are taking advantage of searching on the lemma of the original language word for each of your word searches.  This has been helpful to me in study since the same Hebrew or Greek word is sometimes translated in various ways.  You get this in the Bible Word Study guide but I like the Passage List for that is generated from right-clicking the English word and selecting the lemma to generate the list.  I'm sure others on the forum have many better tips and I'm sure they will be chiming in.

Posts 401
Sam West | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 2:22 PM

Thanks scot for the reply and I do use that some. I forgot to mention I have the Scholars library and really not interested in upgrading to the Gold or Platinum. I feel I can add to my scholar and be better off. Having said that I would be willing to purchase any that logo offers jus to get more research tools. We do a lot of word studies in our precept studies and I feel there are more tools available in logos I just don’t know how to find them.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 2:23 PM

Sam West:
In my precept home work this I am to find out everything I can about “boasting”, “servant”, and “steward”.

You could also see where these topics are used in other places in scriptures.

The Passage Guide can be helpful here. You may not realize that you can type a topic in the reference box and L4 will show you scriptures that are used with this topic.

a. In the top menu click on Guides.

b. In the drop down menu, click on Passage Guide.

c. In the reference box, type your topic

d. Logos4 will show you scripture referenced for that topic (if it finds any).

e. Click on a reference in the drop down. And explore what scripture has to show you on that topic. Try to see if it relates to the scripture that you are studying in your class. Then repeat step c to review other scripture references.

This is just one suggestion for you in pursuing your goal.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 9041
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 2:34 PM

Sam West:
In my precept home work this I am to find out everything I can about “boasting”, “servant”, and “steward”.

Sam, are you to find out all the Bible says about these? If so, do a search on the lemmas for the words and read every passage that comes up and write down what you learn. Use a lexicon to find shades of meaning or other ways these words are used.

Then use a topical aid like Nave's or the Topical Textbook or Nelson's to locate verses with different words than these that refer to the same topic. You can use the verses you gather this way to start to outline what the Bible says about each word.

You could then consult a resource on Manners and Customs or a Background Commentary to get more information on the meaning of these words in Biblical culture.

Last, Bible dictionaries may add to your information and so might a theological dictionary like the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament.

With your existing resources you can discover everything the Bible says about these subjects and with the other resources you have you will know more than most other people about the subject. You probably don't need to buy anything more for relatively ordinary subjects like these.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 401
Sam West | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 2:43 PM

steve clark:

Steve that's exactly what i am looking for. to utilize every tool if can use

Posts 401
Sam West | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 2:49 PM

steve clark:

thanks Steve that's exactly what i am looking for, ways to use all the means in L4 that's at my exposeale.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 2:55 PM

Glad this was of use to you.

Mark has pointed out some more in depth uses in which Logos4 can help. I too have the Scholar's edition and find that it has more than enough for the standard layperson. So please review what Mark has shown you as well.

Posts 401
Sam West | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 2:56 PM

Mark A. Smith:

Sam West:

Sam, are you to find out all the Bible says about these? If so, do a search on the lemmas for the words and read every passage that comes up and write down what you learn. Use a lexicon to find shades of meaning or other ways these words are used.

Then use a topical aid like Nave's or the Topical Textbook or Nelson's to locate verses with different words than these that refer to the same topic. You can use the verses you gather this way to start to outline what the Bible says about each word.

You could then consult a resource on Manners and Customs or a Background Commentary to get more information on the meaning of these words in Biblical culture.

Last, Bible dictionaries may add to your information and so might a theological dictionary like the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament.

With your existing resources you can discover everything the Bible says about these subjects and with the other resources you have you will know more than most other people about the subject. You probably don't need to buy anything more for relatively ordinary subjects like these.

Thanks Mark this is good and i  my  intentions are to save all these for future reference.

Posts 1632
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 3:14 PM

steve clark:
You may not realize that you can type a topic in the reference box and L4 will show you scriptures that are used with this topic.

Steve, I sure did not know this. Thanks for this tip! Yes

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 3:28 PM

Rick Hypes:
Thanks for this tip! Yes

You are welcome! i stumbled across it a while back. It also works in the Exegetical Guide.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS