Posts 1628
SteveF | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 19 2010 4:24 PM | Locked

WOW!!!

That was fast!

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1332
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 4:27 PM | Locked

Thank you Logos for listening!

And thanks for the Last Updated field in the Library display.

Peter

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 4:34 PM | Locked

Wow, missed that in the release notes. That might just change how I do things a bit....

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 4:35 PM | Locked

Yes it is great.

As mentioned in the release notes, Headword resources are not faster. But could someone check to see if their collections are not working with Dictionaries, etc (Headword resources) when using Parallel resource button. Thanks.

EDIT: false alarm. Something broke in my rules for my dictionary collection.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 2177
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 4:41 PM | Locked

This is amazing. Time for some optimizing on the Mac side. Well done!

Posts 7923
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 4:59 PM | Locked

steve clark:

EDIT: false alarm. Something broke in my rules for my dictionary collection.

Do you need to change "type:Dictionary" to "type:Encyclopedia"? http://community.logos.com/forums/t/24033.aspx

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 6:37 PM | Locked

This is absolutely awesome!!  I have been very critical of Logos on the parallel resource problem.  But this is the best update so far.  It makes Logos SOOOO much more usable.

Thanks!

Fred Greco
Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA, Katy, TX
Windows 10 64-bit; Logos 7.1 SR-2 (Reformed Platinum)

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 7:22 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:
Do you need to change "type:Dictionary" to "type:Encyclopedia"?

Thank you Sir! That was exactly the problem. Guess i missed that post Big Smile

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 18637
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 7:42 PM | Locked

I wouldn't say "INSTANT" (it took 2-3 seconds for me), but it's clearly much faster than it was before, and I'm sure it would be even snappier if I had a machine with better benchmarks. Thank you!

Posts 604
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 7:55 PM | Locked

Thank you Logos!  This sure does make this feature more usable!

John

Posts 7923
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 8:06 PM | Locked

Rosie Perera:

I wouldn't say "INSTANT" (it took 2-3 seconds for me)

Is it 2-3 seconds every time you use the menu, or just the first time you drop it down? (The first time it's used it may take longer, particularly if you have many collections.)

Posts 18637
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 8:19 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:

Rosie Perera:

I wouldn't say "INSTANT" (it took 2-3 seconds for me)

Is it 2-3 seconds every time you use the menu, or just the first time you drop it down? (The first time it's used it may take longer, particularly if you have many collections.)

First time per resource. Subsequent times it's instantaneous. But then if I switch tabs to another resource, it again takes 2-3 seconds to populate.

Posts 7923
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 8:51 PM | Locked

Rosie Perera:

First time per resource. Subsequent times it's instantaneous. But then if I switch tabs to another resource, it again takes 2-3 seconds to populate.

The "first time" I spoke of was per-session, so if you're seeing that same delay with a new resource, it's probably due to the amount of work that has to be done to compute the available parallel resources (even with the improved code).

Do you have a lot of collections with "Show in parallel resources" checked? On a typical resource, how many different collections appear on the parallel resources menu once it does appear?

Posts 18637
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2010 10:59 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:

Rosie Perera:

The "first time" I spoke of was per-session, so if you're seeing that same delay with a new resource, it's probably due to the amount of work that has to be done to compute the available parallel resources (even with the improved code).

Do you have a lot of collections with "Show in parallel resources" checked? On a typical resource, how many different collections appear on the parallel resources menu once it does appear?

Not a lot. I've got All Commentaries, English Bibles, Bible Dictionaries, Biographical Resources, Greek Lexicons, and Hebrew Lexicons. On a typical resource, there are two collections on the parallel resources menu. There can be up to 70 items in a single parallel resource list (for Bibles in particular). I've got a library of 4,229 resources.

As for the performance: Just for example, I've got a bunch of tabs open -- among them TNIV and two copies of NRSV. TNIV has a check mark on the English Bibles collection in the parallel resources menu. Both copies of NRSV have the checkmark on the "All parallel resources" side of the menu. I can click on the three tabs in sequence, and thendrop down the parallel resources menu of each, and even if I'm just going from one of the NRSVs to the other, the menu takes 2-3 seconds to populate. If I drop it down again immediately, it's instantaneous. If I return to a tab which I'd previously selected and again drop down the menu, it's again instantaneous. You'd think the menu could be populated once and the same menu would work on any of the resources that were in the same collections.

BTW, I wish there had been a quick way to answer your first question -- either a keystroke to open the next collection in alphabetical order, or a grid view of all collection names, with a column for whether the "show in parallel resources" checkbox is checked and a column for total number of resources in the collection. As it was I had to open up each of my 79 collections in turn to check for that checkbox. I did a bit of tweaking while I was at it (removed the checkmarks from all my collections of individual commentary types -- since I realized they are all included in the overarching "All Commentaries" one), but it didn't improve things.

Posts 24572
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 12:37 AM | Locked

SteveF:
That was fast!

But not necessarily accurate. On a Strong's Number in type:lexicons (19 resources) I'll get 12 resources of which half don't have an index! On another occasion I'll see 6 resources in Lexicons.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 686
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 7:18 AM | Locked

Mine is instant the first time and every time. Wow - this is a welcome improvement!

My number one request is performance improvement, followed closely by letting us know what is being downloaded.

Good job, Logos!

Jerry

Win7 - - Intel Core i3, 530 @ 2 .93GHz - - 6GB RAM ATI Radeon HD Samsung 500GB SSD

Burning Bush Ministries

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 7:26 AM | Locked

truly welcome!  indeed!

Peace to all!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 7:52 AM | Locked

4.2 beta 3 INSTANT parallel resources

Great news.  Fast PRA's make working on notebooks (with their small displays) wonderful.  Back in the L3 days, I learned the location of my frequently accessed resources, so checking them was as automatic as touch-typing.  E.g. In a Bible window, from my default Bible, 2 left arrows was the NIV, 1 right arrow was HDNT, etc.  It may sound strange, but I found it less "stressful" to check other resources this way than mousing and clicking on tabs.

Posts 13226
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 9:53 AM | Locked

Having been one of the biggest complainers about slow parallel resources, can I just say a very big thank you for quietly slipping out this improvement. Would you care to share what, technically you have done?

Some bugs do remain, however, seemingly with resources with an irregular coverage. For example, opening a commentary to 2 Corinthians 5:21 shows Harotounian's Calvin commentary whose index jumps about all over the place, and you just end up going to the title page.

Posts 179
Trey Selman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 10:38 AM | Locked

I too, am very grateful for this improvement. thank you for your continued work and improvements.

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS