Protestant Bundle?

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1537
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 20 2010 6:38 PM

Does anyone now what all was included in this protestant bundle ? I know it is not available at this point, I was just curious of what all was included it seems like alot of volumes

http://blog.logos.com/mt-cgi/mt-search.cgi?blog_id=1&tag=Bundles&limit=20&IncludeBlogs=1

Posts 19119
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 6:58 PM

That blog posts lists all 15 volumes that were included in it. Chafer's Systematic Theology is 8 volumes. Geisler's Systematic Theology is 4 volumes. And three more titles round out the collection.

Posts 1537
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 7:13 PM

Rosie Perera:

That blog posts lists all 15 volumes that were included in it. Chafer's Systematic Theology is 8 volumes. Geisler's Systematic Theology is 4 volumes. And three more titles round out the collection.

I was speaking of the protestant bundle that is in the blog post below that one. It was an old blog post, and they dont offer the protestant bundle anymore. I was wondering what that bundle included

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 7:23 PM

Blair Laird:
I was speaking of the protestant bundle that is in the blog post below that one. It was an old blog post, and they dont offer the protestant bundle anymore. I was wondering what that bundle included

I saved all that in a OneNote file somewhere. I will try to dig it up off an old laptop hard drive.  It was the number one collection on my wish-list. It was a great value full of choice content. I had just upgraded to Portfolio and believe there were no duplicate titles.

Even if we rediscover the content you can't get it any more for that price....Why do you ask?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1537
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 7:30 PM

Matthew C Jones:

Blair Laird:

I saved all that in a OneNote file somewhere. I will try to dig it up off an old laptop hard drive.  It was the number one collection on my wish-list. It was a great value full of choice content. I had just upgraded to Portfolio and believe there were no duplicate titles.

Even if we rediscover the content you can't get it any more for that price....Why do you ask?

If it was a good bundle I was going to see if I could call logos and see if they can reinstate it. You never know... I dont know the tittles or the price of the bundle so ....

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 7:40 PM

Blair Laird:
If it was a good bundle I was going to see if I could call logos and see if they can reinstate it. You never know... I dont know the tittles or the price of the bundle so ....

If I tried to list the titles in the bundle I would certainly get some of it wrong. I am also not positive about the bundle price. (I have slept since then.)

It would be great if it were offered again. I do distinctly remember it was a very good value if you were going to purchase the included collections anyway. Logos has always been good at putting together collections. I'm just interested in too many different areas.

I encourage you to pursue this idea.  Yes

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 19119
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 7:43 PM

It looks like it was offered in the Black Friday sale (blogged in November 28, 2008). Interestingly, all those other bundles mentioned there are still available, as as far as I can make out, all for the same sale price as they were offered for back then. So I wonder why they discontinued the Protestant Theology Bundle? They must have had good reason. Maybe they realized they'd produced so many other volumes of Protestant theology since then that it was no longer representative of their broad catalog. Or maybe they had problems with losing the rights to produce one or two of the key titles in that bundle and it didn't seem like a gutted version of it would sell.

It's sure worth asking if they'd reinstate it. I'm now curious too. Let us know what you find out.

Posts 1537
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 7:44 PM

I guess I'll give them a jingle in the tomorrow. Thanks for your reply.. There seems to be a-lot of volumes in that collection .. 

Posts 767
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 8:33 PM

I remember that bundle and it was a GREAT deal, I was going to buy it and it was gone. I never thought to bring it up on the forums. Let us know what happens I would surely like the chance to grab that if I could!

Posts 19119
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 9:18 PM

Here's a pretty good stab at what might have been the pool of resources that bundle was drawn from:

On the Logos website, in the product search box, you can use multiple search terms (they are ANDed together) and exclude terms by prefixing them with a - sign. So a search for theology -catholic -orthodox -jewish -journal -commentary -lexicon -"biblical theology" -"testament theology" -blog will narrow down the catalogue to just Protestant theology books. I've excluded journals, commentaries and lexicons, and also books of biblical theology, since that isn't usually classified under theology proper and probably wouldn't have been in a bundle of Protestant theology. I've also excluded blog articles which just clutter the search results. It's probably going to miss some (e.g., ones that happen to mention catholic in their description but are still by Protestant theologians) and probably will include some that don't belong (ones that happen to mention theology in their description but aren't really theology books).

To spare you having to copy and paste and do the search yourself, here's a link to the search results.

Posts 1537
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 9:27 PM

Interesting results.. I went to the different search engines, and tried to find the old webpage that the bundle was linked to. No luck

Posts 19119
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 20 2010 9:36 PM

Blair Laird:

Interesting results.. I went to the different search engines, and tried to find the old webpage that the bundle was linked to. No luck

I also tried opening the URL for that bundle in the "Wayback Machine" (Internet Archive), but again no luck. I'm sure Logos has it listed somewhere on their servers because people who bought that bundle would have to have license access to all the resources that were in it.

Posts 1537
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 4:31 PM

No go.. I talk to David in sales and he said that he could not reinstate it.. It was worth a shot..

Posts 19119
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 7:23 PM

Blair Laird:

No go.. I talk to David in sales and he said that he could not reinstate it.. It was worth a shot..

Was he at least able to tell you what all was included in it? I'm sure they must have that list somewhere on their servers, in order to be able to honor the licenses for those who purchased that bundle way back when. Then you could make for yourself a list of all the titles that were in it that you don't already have and that you really do want, present it to David in sales and see what kind of a price he could give you on all of those together. Someone else recently posted that a sales rep contacted him (or her? can't tell -- it's Pat) and suggested that he make a list of all the resources he wanted, and the sales rep would offer him the best deal he could on them all together.

Posts 1537
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 7:37 PM

Rosie Perera:

Blair Laird:

Was he at least able to tell you what all was included in it? I'm sure they must have that list somewhere on their servers, in order to be able to honor the licenses for those who purchased that bundle way back when. Then you could make for yourself a list of all the titles that were in it that you don't already have and that you really do want, present it to David in sales and see what kind of a price he could give you on all of those together. Someone else recently posted that a sales rep contacted him (or her? can't tell -- it's Pat) and suggested that he make a list of all the resources he wanted, and the sales rep would offer him the best deal he could on them all together.

He was not able to tell me.. I asked.. He was wondering how I found the information that I was able to find out about it. I am with you, I wish someone still had that list. Maybe I should call again and talk to a different rep?

Posts 19119
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 21 2010 8:19 PM

Blair Laird:

He was not able to tell me.. I asked.. He was wondering how I found the information that I was able to find out about it. I am with you, I wish someone still had that list. Maybe I should call again and talk to a different rep?

I doubt the sales reps would have access to that info since they are only able to sell what is still available for sale. Since that bundle was discontinued it's not something they ever need to deal with. So I'd talk to someone in customer service or tech support instead. They'd need to be able to help customers who had bought that bundle in the past and were having trouble accessing the titles in it on their L4 installation. Anyway, the tech support folks are probably pretty savvy about where archives are on their servers and such. Also you might consider contacting them via email instead of phone (cs@logos.com or tech@logos.com) since that way they can forward the question to someone who could answer it for you, whereas on the phone they are probably less likely to pass the call on to another person. They're usually pretty good about getting back to customers within 24-48 hours (not counting weekends) when contacted by email. You could explain the reason why you would like to see the list of items that was in that bundle. It might be that nobody ever bought it (even on sale, it was pretty pricey) and it was discontinued early on, in which case you might be out of luck unless one of the tech support guys really feels like going the extra mile for you and digging into their server backups from back in Nov 2008. If you tell him it might result in a sale for Logos, it might be an incentive... Smile  Good luck!

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS