SUGGESTION: Baker Exegetical Commentary on the NT (BECNT) Update

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 38 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 26 2010 9:02 PM

Currently, in Logos, there exist 8 Baker Exegetical Commentary on the NT volumes.

With the upcoming hardback November release on Ephesians the series now has 15 volumes and a 2nd edition (Philippians)

I suggest Logos release an Update bundle of the new and updated commentaries not already available in Logos (listed below)

- Philippians (2nd ed.)
- Acts
- Matthew
- Mark
- Jude & 2 Peter
- 1-3 John
- James
- Ephesians (hardback release Nov 10, 2010) 

more info

[EDIT] - to reflect Jonathan's note that Logos already has the Phil. Update!

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 9:07 PM

I think this has already been suggested. It certainly appeals to me. However they can be released in Logos format I'll likely buy them all, but if we could save through a bundle I'd be sure to take them all.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 446
Jonathan Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 9:10 PM

I agree.

Note: Philippians is one of the "original 8"

Jonathan Sine

Pastor - Squamish Baptist Church

2 Cor. 4.6

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 9:13 PM

Mark A. Smith:

I think this has already been suggested...

I searched and couldn't find it! Embarrassed

... and Jonathan the Philippians commentary already has a 2nd edition/update.  I don't believe the publisher has made this available to Logos.

Posts 446
Jonathan Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 9:16 PM

Paul Newsome:
... and Jonathan the Philippians commentary already has a 2nd edition/update.  I don't believe the publisher has made this available to Logos.

Paul, I've got "the 8" and this is my info for Philippians: 

Silva, M. (2005). Philippians (2nd ed.). Baker exegetical commentary on the New Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic. 

Jonathan Sine

2 Cor. 4.6

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 9:17 PM

Paul Newsome:
I searched and couldn't find it!

Sorry, didn't mean that as a rebuke, just that it is a very popular series and there is anticipation about new volumes being released. I said 'think' because I can't remember for sure if it has been suggested. (It never hurts to make a suggestion more than once anyway.)

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 9:19 PM

good catch man!  It didn't even enter my brain that enough time had passed for one.  Then again as I now see the update came in 2005 (13 years after the original).  Thanks!

[EDIT] ...and Mark, no prob. I always send an identical e-mail to suggest@logos.com when I post suggestions (Maybe we can 'seal the deal' with Ephesians in there).  I also wanted to use the "blushy face" for an extra kick of forum drama... Stick out tongue

Posts 446
Jonathan Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 9:21 PM

Mark - I recall much discussion over a Pillar set - probably because there were several new ones out in prepub. This and the BECNT are the sets I am most interested in. 

Paul - In fact, Baker's website includes the description as well:

Luke, volume 1 (1:1-9:50) by Darrell L. Bock
Luke, volume 2 (9:51-24:53) by Darrell L. Bock
John by Andreas J. Kostenberger
Romans by Thomas R. Schreiner
1 Corinthians by David E. Garland
Philippians, 2nd ed., by Moises Silva
1 Peter by Karen H. Jobes
Revelation by Grant R. Osborne

And yet would certainly LOVE the others bundled!

SDG

Jonathan Sine

2 Cor. 4.6

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 26 2010 9:58 PM

Jonathan Sine:
This and the BECNT are the sets I am most interested in. 

Agreed on both of these.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 6222
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 11:50 AM

Me too! I own 13 of the PNTC I think we still need 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Galatians & Revelation to complete the series.  It's my favorite set and the other is BECNT.  I really enjoy them and would love to see them as a complete bundle in Logos format also.

Posts 222
LogosEmployee
Mike Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 11:56 AM

Paul Newsome:
I suggest Logos release an Update bundle of the new and updated commentaries not already available in Logos (listed below)

This is Baker's product and they have their own schedule for releasing their volume 2 collection.

I say "volume 2" because the original 8 vols for Logos were titled: Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament on CD-ROM, vol. 1.

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 12:06 PM

Michael Aubrey:
This is Baker's product and they have their own schedule for releasing their volume 2 collection.

It might not hurt for interested parties to contact Baker directly and ask them about this.

http://www.bakerpublishinggroup.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=0477683E4046471488BD7BAC8DCFB004&type=InfoRequest&nm=Form&mod=Information+Request&level=1&id=F4460FB2FD974619A2F83CD716EC9492

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 1:24 PM

I received the following prompt email response to my contact with Baker over the BECNT:

"Dear Mark,

Greetings from Baker Publishing Group!

Thank you for your message regarding our BECNT commentary series in Logos format. We’re confident that all of the BECNT volumes will eventually be available in this format, but we don’t have any more detailed information on when the next collection will be made available.

Thank you for your interest in this series. We also hope that the next set of volumes will be available in Logos format soon.

Best wishes,"

So 'soon' is the best they can say. Again, some additional contact, perhaps spaced over a few days, might make them think a little 'sooner' is better. Can't hurt. See the link above.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2733
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 1:44 PM

Mark A. Smith:

Jonathan Sine:
This and the BECNT are the sets I am most interested in. 

Agreed on both of these.

yes and yes. Yes For both series.

Bohuslav

Posts 124
Dennis Hilario | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2010 7:57 PM

+Yes yes for me

Posts 446
Jonathan Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 29 2010 1:24 PM

Michael Aubrey:

I say "volume 2" because the original 8 vols for Logos were titled: Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament on CD-ROM, vol. 1.

Makes sense.

I suggest we heed Mark's advice and communicate with Baker. They need to realize that this product would please a lot of people (and also be in their best interest.)

Jonathan Sine

2 Cor. 4.6

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 29 2010 1:36 PM

I believe I'm not the only one in this catch 22.  I have no way to access the BECNT currently in paper form unless I buy the volumes I don't have.  However I won't buy them since I'm pretty sure Baker will get them in Logos.  Therefore currently, I'm not using them (the ones I don't own) based on this hope.  This should be all the motivation Baker needs to get them into Logos asap before Pillar and the NIGTC fills its spot on the horizon line of hot commentaries... Wink  

(The premise is ultimately based off of the fact that many Logos users might be operating this way.)

P.S. in no way did I mean for that to sound like an ultimatum... Just excited for good commentaries to come down through the pipe.

Posts 276
Mark Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 17 2011 8:50 AM

Yes, an update bundle with the 7 volumes of the BECNT is needed!

Posts 27436
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 6:13 AM

10 days have gone by and no action on this? (just kidding). I guess I will have to wait like everybody else. I hope that we see something by Christmas!

PS - THIS Christmas would be nice. Big Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1627
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 27 2011 6:48 AM

Agreed, Paul. This would be great. Yes

Let's hope that both Baker and Logos see the benefit of doing this.

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS