compare different texts (same translation)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
Carl Bicknell | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 1 2010 6:31 AM

Hello,

The Feeding of the 5000 appears in all 4 gospels, but the way the story is told varies a bit.

I'd like to see the 4 versions side by side and then use Logos 4 to automatically analyse the passages and point out the differences.

In some ways this is similar to the Text Comparison Tool, except that uses 1 passage and multiple translations - what I want is 1 translation and multiple passages!

Is there a way to do this?

Regards

Carl Bicknell

Posts 221
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 1 2010 6:49 AM

Carl Bicknell:

I'd like to see the 4 versions side by side and then use Logos 4 to automatically analyse the passages and point out the differences.

In some ways this is similar to the Text Comparison Tool, except that uses 1 passage and multiple translations - what I want is 1 translation and multiple passages!

Is there a way to do this?

If you have Aland's Synopsis of the Four Gospels you might start there. Not sure that you can perform an "automatic analysis" of text but at least that's a start.....

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 1 2010 8:00 AM

Carl, welcome to the Forum!

As James mentioned above, you can open a Harmony from your Library. There are several available depending on your L4 base package.

1. Click on View to select the detailed view.
  2. Click on Type to sort by resource type.
  3. Click on Bible Harmony to expand the list under Harmony.

If you do not know how to do these, see wiki page Library and topic Available Columns in the detailed view

Logos4 (L4) links Bible together relative to scripture locations (e.g. Mark 1:1). It does not link Bibles together by topic. The Text Comparison tool will compare different translations relative to the same verse, but not analyze different verses relative to the topic.

Since you are new to the Forum, you might want to view the Logos4 wiki pages. See Table of Contents and Visual Table of Contents.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 1 2010 8:44 AM

The short answer to your question as you might have guessed is no, there isn't a tool like text comparison to do this.  If the harmonies will not give the exact scriptures you are wanting to look at, you can also make a passage list of them.  The list will be vertical and not horizontal, but at least they will all be in one place.  You could also enter them into a note file and add your own notes of differences and similarities between passages.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 2498
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 1 2010 9:10 AM

In addition to the above suggestions you can change the text used in the harmonies to a Greek Text if you wish.

Posts 2
Carl Bicknell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 1 2010 9:49 AM

Thank you to everyone who offered help!

I was looking for an automatic function, but here's hoping for version 5! :)

Carl

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS