New Logos.Com ... What's New?

Page 1 of 3 (52 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 51 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1082
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 2 2010 11:16 AM

Other than the change of graphics, is there a single piece of added functionality on the new site?

The CP now suggest a final price rather than allowing users to value it through market forces, but other than than I can only find missing features and poor graphics.

Have I missed something completely ... at this point there is nothing that is user centred or related to the 'Rebuilding Logos' thread (here).

Rosie mentioned that this is a beta, and we should be reporting issues. Has that been announced by Logos? or is it just that this feels like beta (or aplha) software with much of the functionality missing, incomplete data, broken links etc.

So what have I missed, what is new?

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 222
LogosEmployee
Mike Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 11:25 AM

Martin Folley:
So what have I missed, what is new?

Well, as one who write product pages, I am definitely enjoying the change to CSS.

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 11:28 AM

Martin Folley:
Rosie mentioned that this is a beta, and we should be reporting issues

I hope that like the release of Logos 4 last year that there are big plans to change this site and add the functionality that we need, in it's current form I can't see me visiting the site anywhere near as often as I did the old site.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 11:43 AM

Is there a wiki page telling us how to use the new website?  If not,  can we have one a.s.a.p.?  Stick out tongue

Posts 1949
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 11:52 AM

Martin Folley:
Other than the change of graphics, is there a single piece of added functionality on the new site?

There is indeed. (1) Faceted browsing is the main new feature. You can now explore our inventory of nearly 5,000 products to find the kinds of products that interest you. (2) There's some user intelligence going on that doesn't show you products that you already own or messaging that doesn't apply to you. We have a ton more in the works for this. (3) Product searching is also greatly improved.

Martin Folley:
The CP now suggest a final price rather than allowing users to value it through market forces, but other than than I can only find missing features and poor graphics.

Not correct. We are showing the predicted price based on what customers are bidding. What features are missing?

Martin Folley:
Have I missed something completely ... at this point there is nothing that is user centred or related to the 'Rebuilding Logos' thread (here).

Yes, you have. There were numerous requests to be able to have more intelligent message and product promotions and also to indicate if you already own a product. There were also many requests for faceted browsing and product searching.

Posts 1949
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 11:54 AM

Graham Owen:

I hope that like the release of Logos 4 last year that there are big plans to change this site and add the functionality that we need, in it's current form I can't see me visiting the site anywhere near as often as I did the old site.

Please explain. The new site is far more useful at doing its main job—helping you find products—than the old site ever was. Why on earth would you want to use the old site?

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 12:00 PM

Phil Gons:
What features are missing?

I can no longer see at first glance how near the product is to completion, on a graph large enough that I can read it, how much I have bid, and what the final price is likely to be.  In order to see this, I need to go to another page and then return to the original page.  I find this a pain.  

Posts 1082
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 12:06 PM

Thank you for the reply but forgive me if I sound under-whelmed.

Phil Gons:
here's some user intelligence going on that doesn't show you products that you already own or messaging that doesn't apply to you.

I cannot see that faceted browsing is that big a deal and am concern that it does not show product that I already own ... I would rather see those products and be told that I own them ... the library management on L4 is such that any opportunity to re-discover resources is welcome. This feels like hiding the similar resources that you have from view so that you consider purchasing others ... my apologies for the cynicism but that is likely the outcome. My cynicism is also banked by the size of the adverts, the wasted real estate in the banners, the use of facebook etc. This does not feel like a Harrods but a Kwik-e-mart.

Phil Gons:
or messaging that doesn't apply to you
... I am curious as to what this means and how it works ...

Phil Gons:
We have a ton more in the works for this
.. this sounds good ... so this is a beta then? Is there a road map of features?

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 12:25 PM

Phil Gons:
Please explain. The new site is far more useful at doing its main job—helping you find products—than the old site ever was. Why on earth would you want to use the old site?

Hi Phil

Whilst not perfect I like the old site because I personally found it easy to use probably because I knew my way around it. I never had a problem finding resources that I wanted because I used the search function. If I wanted to know if there were any new books on pre-pub then all I had to do was navigate to the prepub page and there on the first page at the top of the list was the latest prepub whereas on the new site on my screen there is a graphic explanation of the process, the last channce, featured and staff pick and to see what is new I have to page down.

The new community page is, in my opinion, a functional mess where I could make and manage all of my bids on a single page on the old web site I now have to navigate to each individual product page so if you add three new CPs I would need to vist the main page 3 times and 3 individual product pages to place my bids rather than do it all on a single page.

The consolidate account report is not as good as the old reports where I could look at my current prepubs, with a total outstanding spend, my community bids and my historical spend. My historical spend was already a long report now it is concatenated with two other reports. To me the obvious 'improvement' would have been focus on making the historical report more user friendly by grouping purchases by year and allowing the sections to be expanded/closed.

I also think the new site is very busy, moving the mouse around there are a lot of distracting pop ups and changes in page activity, at the moment I find these irritating.

Overall the comparison that I would make is that the impact is like having my favourite shop completely refurbished, when I enter I am disoriented, I no longer know immediately where things are, everything is new, clean and bright but its no longer my favourite shop. 

Will I feel differently in a few months or a year when I have got used to the changes? Probably. Do I like the way things are right now? Definitely not.

Sorry but my feeling is that this web site is great from a developers perspective but extremely poor from a users. Its clever, bright and dynamic but, in my opinion, it is more awkward to use than the old one.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 12:58 PM

Graham Owen:
Sorry but my feeling is that this web site is great from a developers perspective but extremely poor from a users. Its clever, bright and dynamic but, in my opinion, it is more awkward to use than the old one.

Graham, Alas, I agree all too well with everything you say, particularly the sentence quoted.Crying

Posts 31
Luther Locklin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 1:29 PM

Phil,

You asked what's missing.  In the old site as I reviewed the community pricing, I could see what I'd previously bid.  Now I have to click through to a deeper level to see that (I'm hoping I missed something).

Also, as I review the prepubs, I used to be able to see which ones I'd already ordered, at what price and when.  Again I have to click through to a deeper level to see this information.

I'd love for this thing to tell me that I already own that book, but I still have to look it up in logos to find out (it still shows it to me).

Change is always tough but right now I'm not seeing any enhanced functionality.

Luther

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 1:47 PM

Phil Gons:
(3) Product searching is also greatly improved

I noticed this pretty quick. I love the new search enhancements, this will be very helpful and much, much more usable than the old site. It always perplexed me how hard it could be to find some things on the old site. The new filters are a great addition.

Many of the improvements may not mean much to those who spend most of their time in pre-pubs and community pricing. I would wager a bet, though, that most of Logos' customers spend most of their time searching and browsing released products and will benefit from the changes.

Thus far I am really enjoying the new site. It looks great, it feels great, it searches great, etc. The new site is a major improvement. Great work, Logos!

Posts 1949
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 2:03 PM

Graham Owen:
on the new site on my screen there is a graphic explanation of the process

You can hide this. In the near future, it will auto-hide for repeat Pre-Pub buyers.

Graham Owen:
The new community page is, in my opinion, a functional mess where I could make and manage all of my bids on a single page on the old web site I now have to navigate to each individual product page so if you add three new CPs I would need to vist the main page 3 times and 3 individual product pages to place my bids rather than do it all on a single page.

Bidding from search results (like purchasing live products and pre-ordering pre-pubs) is coming very soon.

Graham Owen:
The consolidate account report is not as good as the old reports where I could look at my current prepubs, with a total outstanding spend, my community bids and my historical spend. My historical spend was already a long report now it is concatenated with two other reports. To me the obvious 'improvement' would have been focus on making the historical report more user friendly by grouping purchases by year and allowing the sections to be expanded/closed.

We're working on improving this.

In time, I think you'll find that the new site is vastly superior to the old site when it comes to browsing our products.

Thanks for your feedback.

Posts 1949
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 2:21 PM

Graham Owen:
If I wanted to know if there were any new books on pre-pub then all I had to do was navigate to the prepub page and there on the first page at the top of the list was the latest prepub

Actually, the old site occupied more vertical and horizontal space for the top section than the new site does with the How It Works section collapsed. The old site had 640px of content above the first Pre-Pub. The new site has 540px.

Graham Owen:
on the new site on my screen there is a graphic explanation of the process, the last channce, featured and staff pick and to see what is new I have to page down.

Just select the Pre-Pub facet contraint, and all you'll see are Pre-Pubs.

Posts 1949
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 2:24 PM

Luther Locklin:
In the old site as I reviewed the community pricing, I could see what I'd previously bid.  Now I have to click through to a deeper level to see that (I'm hoping I missed something).

This will be addressed very soon. We had to cut this feature for launch, but it's on the short list.

Luther Locklin:
Also, as I review the prepubs, I used to be able to see which ones I'd already ordered, at what price and when.  Again I have to click through to a deeper level to see this information.

We'll look into exposing this in search results again.

Luther Locklin:
I'd love for this thing to tell me that I already own that book, but I still have to look it up in logos to find out (it still shows it to me).

It does. I'm not sure I follow what you're saying.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 2:30 PM

Chris Roberts:

Phil Gons:
(3) Product searching is also greatly improved

I noticed this pretty quick. I love the new search enhancements, this will be very helpful and much, much more usable than the old site. It always perplexed me how hard it could be to find some things on the old site. The new filters are a great addition.

Many of the improvements may not mean much to those who spend most of their time in pre-pubs and community pricing. I would wager a bet, though, that most of Logos' customers spend most of their time searching and browsing released products and will benefit from the changes.

Thus far I am really enjoying the new site. It looks great, it feels great, it searches great, etc. The new site is a major improvement. Great work, Logos!

Finally! One positive reaction after many frustrated ones. I wrote a longer post and deleted that. To say just little: I am really surprised with the negative reactions. I find the changes interesting and refreshing. I like to learn new things. Period.

Bohuslav

Posts 8639
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 2:31 PM

Phil Gons:

Luther Locklin:

It does. I'm not sure I follow what you're saying.

But it does it with a  grey button WITHOUT ever telling me that grey means I own it.  It should simply say, "You own this".

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1949
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 2:47 PM

Martin Folley:
I cannot see that faceted browsing is that big a deal

Faceted browsing is the backbone of every major eCommerce site on the internet. I can't see how it could be considered anything less than a central feature.

Martin Folley:
Idea am concern that it does not show product that I already own ... I would rather see those products and be told that I own them

Please explain. We show them to you, but indicate that you own them by graying out the button. We received numerous requests from forum users to either indicate or hide products that you already own.

Martin Folley:
Phil Gons:
or messaging that doesn't apply to you
... I am curious as to what this means and how it works ...

The main products page is customized depending on whether you have a base package or not and which base package you have. The home page slidedeck will soon have messages that are appropriate for each individual customer based on what information we know about them. We're trying to communicate with you in intelligent and personally appropriate ways.

Martin Folley:
Phil Gons:
We have a ton more in the works for this
.. this sounds good ... so this is a beta then? Is there a road map of features?

We're shifting directions with the way we view Logos.com. It's a product just like Logos 4, and as such it will always be improving. It's not technically a beta, because we've done a lot of testing and believe that it's core functionality is stable. We have a huge list of features that we're going to be working on over the next number of months and years. This is just the very begin of the plans we have for the website.

If you feel underwhelmed with the number of new features, you're not alone. So do we. But, we do believe we made the right choice. We had to completely rebuild the site and re-architecture some of its most basic components to build a framework that can accommodate all the new features that we have planned. It took a lot of time to get the groundwork laid, but it will pay dividends as we move forward and start adding things like wishlists, ratings and reviews, more intelligent product recommendations, and many other things that we want to keep a surprise.

Posts 1949
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 2:49 PM

Thomas Black:
But it does it with a  grey button WITHOUT ever telling me that grey means I own it.  It should simply say, "You own this".

We're aware of this lack of communication and will be correcting it very soon.

It's interesting to note though that we never told anyone what it means, and yet everyone seems to know. :)

Posts 8639
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 2:50 PM

Phil Gons:
it will pay dividends as we move forward and start adding things like wishlists
You had me at wishlists.  I'm waiting.  :-)

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Page 1 of 3 (52 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS