New Logos.Com ... What's New?

Page 2 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 51 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 5616
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 2:51 PM

Phil Gons:
It's interesting to note thoughh that we never told anyone what it means, and yet everyone seems to know.

Yes, but we had to figure it out.  Plus it's not accurate, so we weren't even sure.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 6699
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 2:51 PM

Phil Gons:
It's interesting to note thoughh that we never told anyone what it means, and yet everyone seems to know

Having a button or link greyed out in most software written recently means not available/applicable. Your website design is in harmony with the rest of the industry.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 2:52 PM

Phil Gons:

Thomas Black:
But it does it with a  grey button WITHOUT ever telling me that grey means I own it.  It should simply say, "You own this".

We're aware of this lack of communication and will be correcting it very soon.

It's interesting to note thoughh that we never told anyone what it means, and yet everyone seems to know.

I found out by reading it in the forum.  I'm not sure how that person found/figured it out.  It's non-intuitive as is; which is a moot point as communication is forthwith.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 249
DHG | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 3:04 PM

The grey button makes sense; the problem is, it ISN'T accurate.  I've found several books and collections I do own not greyed-out...

Posts 1657
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 3:11 PM

Phil Gons:

Luther Locklin:
I'd love for this thing to tell me that I already own that book, but I still have to look it up in logos to find out (it still shows it to me).

It does. I'm not sure I follow what you're saying.

Dear Phil:

thanks for your replies. As to the "greyed out" [you own this] etc my concern is that as of right now the new web site is as confused as the "upgrader" was.

There ARE some unlocks/CDROMs  etc in my account that are NOT greyed out on the new website. Yes, a few of them I bought from "other" stores, but some came directly from Logos and are not acknowledged.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 128
Terry Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 3:23 PM

One thing I noticed was that I used to be able to go to a page for a particular book/resource and download the resource from that page. That feature is no longer on the 3-4 random pages I checked. Doesn't sound like a big deal maybe but I used to make a back-up on an external HD via the resource page.

Terry Cook

sDg

Posts 741
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 3:25 PM

SteveF:

Dear Phil:

thanks for your replies. As to the "greyed out" [you own this] etc my concern is that as of right now the new web site is as confused as the "upgrader" was.

There ARE some unlocks/CDROMs  etc in my account that are NOT greyed out on the new website. Yes, a few of them I bought from "other" stores, but some came directly from Logos and are not acknowledged.

SteveF:

Dear Phil:

Ditto here.

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 38
Ryan Riley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 3:31 PM
Chris Roberts:

Thus far I am really enjoying the new site. It looks great, it feels great, it searches great, etc. The new site is a major improvement. Great work, Logos!

Thanks, Chris! Ryan Riley Web Developer
Posts 1984
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 3:35 PM

Phil Gons:

Faceted browsing is the backbone of every major eCommerce site on the internet. I can't see how it could be considered anything less than a central feature.

It's true that this is a major capability on sites with lots of products that can be classified across a lot of different categories. However, I've never heard it called "faceted browsing". I've always heard it called "guided search" (and in fact that's what I called it in a couple of other threads today before I came across this phrase).

For it to be useful, of course, it has to be accurate. And we've already had verified in another thread that for categories like Topics and Resource Types, it currently isn't.

Donnie

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 3:40 PM

Donnie Hale:
I've never heard it called "faceted browsing
You may like to read this informative Wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faceted_search

Blessings

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 264
Michael G. Halpern | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 3:44 PM

Read the Wikipedia entry Joe and found it quite faceted-nating.  Thanks.  Better understanding now.

Edit: and also impatiently awaiting the next installment of your incredibly great videos @ MTC.

Posts 533
Jonathan Burke | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 3:46 PM

I agree with Chris and Bohuslav. The new site is sensational.

* Navigation is vastly improved

* Search functions are far superior,

* The presentation is cleaner and clearer with less wasted space,

* The greying out of the purchase button is highly intuitive (in keeping with the standard stylistic convention in virtually all programs and operating systems)

* Faceted browsing is not only incredibly convenient but also in keeping with the industry

* The site is clearly far more intuitively tailored to serving the user

I visited the site last night unaware that it had been updated, and was completely amazed. Click, click, click, everywhere I wanted to go, everything I wanted to see, it seemed I was never more than three clicks away. It's a beautiful piece of design.

For the record I'm speaking from the point of view of a technical writer who has been involved in usability studies.

Win 7 x64 | Core i7 3770K | 32GB RAM | GTX 750 Ti 2GB | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (system) | Crucial m4 256GB SSD (Logos) | WD Black 1.5 TB (storage) | WD Red 3 TB x 3 (storage) | HP w2408h 24" | First F301GD Live 30"

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 4:10 PM

Michael G. Halpern:
Read the Wikipedia entry Joe and found it quite faceted-nating. 
funny
Michael G. Halpern:
also impatiently awaiting the next installment of your incredibly great videos @ MTC.
Big SmileGlad you like them brother.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 4:18 PM

Phil Gons:
In time, I think you'll find that the new site is vastly superior to the old site when it comes to browsing our products.

Hi Phil

Based on the guidance of your responses, and a lot of other tips that are floating around in other posts relating to the new web site, I can see how this might eventually be true. However, I think the way that this has been rolled out could and should have been handled differently. It really does feel like Logos is so obsessed with the latest technolgy (i.e. faceted browsing) that the customer experience seems not to matter.

I know that others like the site and one has even described it as intuitive but I am not computer illiterate having spent over 30 years in the IT industry and I find it unintuitive, awkward and plain frustrating. There's lots of pop ups but none of them guide you or helps you with a radically new, for me at least, interface. In terms of usability the reality is that without the explanations and tips here, and an hour or more exploring the site, I would not have found some better ways of finding things and turning elements off.

I know that the missing stuff is coming and the next version will be better but Logos can't keep using that explanation for everything that is released. 

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 4:32 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Chris Roberts:

Phil Gons:
(3) Product searching is also greatly improved

I noticed this pretty quick. I love the new search enhancements, this will be very helpful and much, much more usable than the old site. It always perplexed me how hard it could be to find some things on the old site. The new filters are a great addition.

Many of the improvements may not mean much to those who spend most of their time in pre-pubs and community pricing. I would wager a bet, though, that most of Logos' customers spend most of their time searching and browsing released products and will benefit from the changes.

Thus far I am really enjoying the new site. It looks great, it feels great, it searches great, etc. The new site is a major improvement. Great work, Logos!

Finally! One positive reaction after many frustrated ones. I wrote a longer post and deleted that. To say just little: I am really surprised with the negative reactions. I find the changes interesting and refreshing. I like to learn new things. Period.

Bohuslav and Phil!  *smile*

Peace to you!          Peace to all!

I think the new site is delightful!         A few rough edges to be sure, but quite remarkable for just being launched.  Particularly I like the new "searching"!!!!

The OLD Logos Site was not adequate; and I truly thank you much for improving on it.

It's as much as improvement as the Library is in L4 compared to L3!  And that's saying a lot!

Thank you, Phil!  Thank you Logos!

Bohuslav, it's an important election day in the United States.  Perhaps that's why the tone has been a bit grumpier???  Some of the other posts are quite similar where unhappiness and complaint outweight voices of appreciation. 

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 2757
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 4:49 PM

Quotes from above:

Phil Gons: There were numerous requests to indicate if you already own a product.

Luther Locklin: Also, as I review the prepubs, I used to be able to see which ones I'd already ordered, at what price and when.  Again I have to click through to a deeper level to see this information

Thomas Black: WITHOUT ever telling me that grey means I own it.  It should simply say, "You own this".

Lynden Williams: Having a button or link greyed out in most software written recently means not available/applicable.

>>>> Not available may mean that you cannot buy it – somewhat different then “You own this”

>>>> Or if you are not ready to buy this today you may not notice that it is GARY and not know that you already own it.

Phil Gons: We show them to you, but indicate that you own them by graying out the button.  We received numerous requests from forum users to either indicate or hide products that you already own.

>>>> and everybody that did NOT request that it be hidden wanted it to show and as it was showing they never told you to leave it alone – whoops [Keeping ALL customers happy at the same time can be FUN!]

Phil Gons: We are showing the predicted price based on what customers are bidding

>>>>it looks like if there are no bids the “predicted price” is zero

nicky crane: need to go to another page and then return to the original page

Luther Locklin: Also, as I review the prepubs, I used to be able to see which ones I'd already ordered, at what price and when.  Again I have to click through to a deeper level to see this information

Graham Owen: if you add three new CPs I would need to vist the main page 3 times and 3 individual product pages to place my bids rather than do it all on a single page.

Jonathan Burke: everything I wanted to see, it seemed I was never more than three clicks away.

>>>> Yes Sir, only three clicks away  [too bad it used to be ZERO clicks away]

{{I do like what I have seen so far but a RED flag telling me I own it might be nice (I might miss a gray button)}}

{Also not clearly showing what I own (hiding) could lead to my buying something on a given subject when if they were shown I would remember that I already own ten somethings on that subject} (There are 1890 books in my library)

Posts 38
Bill Fitch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 6:00 PM

Not that long on the new site yet, but I'm liking what I see.  The navigation works for me, and I value the tighter, more compact presentation. 

Posts 31
Luther Locklin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 6:04 PM

Phil,

I appreciate your personal replies to my issues.  I trust from my past experiences with Logos that if you say it's going to be better then I'm sure I'll like it.  I'm afraid that I'm one of the people that didn't know what the grey buttons meant.  Even if they're wrong some of the time, the old web site didn't do anything to tell me I already owned it so this is a big improvement which I'm sure will get better.

I also didn't know what faceted ..... is (I've already forgotten the phrase).  Now that I've played with it a little, it is great already and I'm sure it'll get better also.

Overall, now that I've been educated a little on the new features and that there's a list of new ones to come, I'm satisified that in 6 months I'm going to end up wondering why I questioned it.

Thank you for your efforts and the efforts of Logos,

Luther

Posts 26391
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 6:54 PM

Phil Gons:

In time, I think you'll find that the new site is vastly superior to the old site when it comes to browsing our products.

It will take some familiarisation, especially with the Products section. I had trouble initially finding Pre-pubs and Community Pricing and just now saw them on the main drop-down. That can be attributed to thinking the way the old site was organised. But CP does need improving, as stated by others.

The Support section is much improved; better to navigate.

Searching is also improved with results split into 3 categories.

The Account | Orders section is disappointing, though (see this thread).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1206
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2010 7:30 PM

There is a critical bug in Community Pricing...  "Barnes' Notes on the Old and New Testaments (14 vols.) " didn't go gold during the upgrade process.  Please add more votes.  It is Election Day, after all ...

I do agree that I'd prefer a one-stop shop for CP bids like we could do on the old site--it will take a while to bid on all those new books.

Page 2 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS