Word Processing and Logos 4 Mac with Original Languages

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2460
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 3 2010 7:11 AM

Since even the latest version of Microsoft Word on the Mac isn't multilingual friendly for Hebrew, what's the strategy for L4M? I have Mellel, but I was wondering if Logos 4 Mac is designed to work best with a given word processor. Anyone using OpenOffice/Libre?

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1861
LogosEmployee
Tom Philpot (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 3 2010 8:05 AM

Michael Ballai:

Since even the latest version of Microsoft Word on the Mac isn't multilingual friendly for Hebrew, what's the strategy for L4M? I have Mellel, but I was wondering if Logos 4 Mac is designed to work best with a given word processor. Anyone using OpenOffice/Libre?

Unfortunately, we can't control how word processors will render the text we put on the clipboard (or eventually export to files). Internally, we try to do compatibility testing with Word and Pages, in that we support pasting into those from "Copy Bible Verses".  But even then, the default RTL text rendering in Mac OS is buggy for Hebrew. There have been some reports on the forums of moderate success with Open/LibreOffice.

Mobile Development Team Lead

Posts 9
Matthew Robards | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 3 2010 8:45 AM

I recently purchased Office 2011 for Mac. It displays the Hebrew pretty well. Some of the pointing seems to be off, but it's readable and makes sense. If you have Mellel that is the way to go, but for others reading I just thought I would share.

Posts 2460
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 3 2010 8:56 AM

Matthew:

You are saying it copies and writes Hebrew correctly RTL? My understanding was that it is not supported. I know it doesn't work in my older Word 2004 when I tried it once pasting from Accordance. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 9
Matthew Robards | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 3 2010 9:28 AM

It will copy and paste. You can also write in Hebrew using the Hebrew keyboard that is included in the OS. It will be displayed left to right, but it is readable. I have used it to copy text from the BHS and have just moved the alignment of that text to the right. 

Posts 56
Seth Huckstead | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 3 2010 11:43 AM

Get Mellel, it is the only Mac OS WP that handles Hebrew well. 

Posts 73
Boris Repschinski | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 3 2010 12:12 PM

Nisus Writer Pro is quite decent, too, handles Hebrew well, and since it uses rtf it does not have Mellel's issues with interchangeability of files.

Boris Repschinski

Professor of NT Studies

University of Innsbruck

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS