Proverbs-Charles Bridges

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 260
Pastor Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 8 2010 9:23 AM

I am wondering about the difference between Charles Bridges commentary on Proverbs in the Logos version verses it in  the PBB version. Could someone post a screenshot of Proverbs 1:32 from the Logos version?

I would like to see a shot of the commentary section before purchasing it. The samples on the website just show the introduction.

Thanks

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 8 2010 5:33 PM

Dan, the commentary I have is from the Crossway Classic Commentary series. I believe it may be a condensed work, but here it is. . .

Posts 260
Pastor Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 8 2010 8:51 PM

Daniel,

I think you are right. The Crossway commentary seems to be changed.

Notice vs. 32 commentary in the PBB: Again is the sinner's ruin laid at his own door. He turns away from Wisdom's beseeching voice. He despises the only remedy. He dies a suicide. It matters nothing to what we turn. If we turn away from God, we turn from our true, our eternal interests. And, oh ! be it remembered, that every inattention, every wilful neglect, is a step towards this fearful apostasy. The word gradually becomes a burden, then a scorn. The fool may seem to be spared from judgment. But his prosperity is his destruction.†

Does anyone know if the other Bridges commentary on Proverbs has been changed? Thanks.

Posts 5616
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 8 2010 9:02 PM

Dan:
I think you are right. The Crossway commentary seems to be changed.

All of the Crossway Classic Commentaries have been edited for easier accessibility:

"So far as is possible, everything is tailored to the needs and enrichment of thoughtful readers—lay Christians, students, and those in the ministry. The originals, some of which were written at a high technical level, have been abridged as needed, simplified stylistically, and unburdened of foreign words. However, the intention of this series is never to change any thoughts of the original authors, but to faithfully convey them in an understandable fashion.
The publishers are grateful to Dr. Mister A. McGrath of Wycliffe Hall, Oxford, Dr. J. I. Packer of Regent College, Vancouver, and Watermark of Norfolk, England, for the work of selecting and editing that now brings this project to fruition.
The Publishers
Crossway Books
Wheaton, Illinois"

Dan:
Does anyone know if the other Bridges commentary on Proverbs has been changed?

By "other", do you mean the PBB one? The PBB version would be the original (which is in the public domain), unless there was some entry or formatting error on the part of the user who put it together.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 260
Pastor Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 9 2010 2:55 PM

Todd,

Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS