display delay when typing notes

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 9 2010 11:19 AM

Does everyone experience a delay when typing in notes? On my systems it is sporadic; sometimes a very brief delay when typing in a long note and sometimes a 1 or more  second delay when typing in a short note. As I watch the screen when typing this is extremely disconcerting. No other program I use has this p[roblem on my systems.

I have some discretionary money and have been thinking about a new system, But want to get womething that will minimize this.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 9 2010 1:01 PM

frederick harrell:

Does everyone experience a delay when typing in notes? On my systems it is sporadic; sometimes a very brief delay when typing in a long note and sometimes a 1 or more  second delay when typing in a short note. As I watch the screen when typing this is extremely disconcerting. No other program I use has this p[roblem on my systems.

I have some discretionary money and have been thinking about a new system, But want to get womething that will minimize this.

This issue has been reported by others. Interestingly, so far no discernible pattern emerges as to why some have this issue and others don't.

However you can try the suggestions in the Wiki here:

http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_Running_Slowly

In addition, you could make sure any on-access or real-time scanning in your anti-virus excludes the Logos4 directory and subdirectories, as that could be a part of the issue (or not; you may or may not see any improvement).

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 80
Rusty Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 9 2010 1:02 PM

I have been having the same problem. It seems to be tied to the synchronization of Notes with the Logos server, but I am not sure.

Posts 4951
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 9 2010 1:09 PM

I have that problem in L3 (where I type all my notes) and it appears to me to be an interal memory issue with the program. It happens when I have many windows open, and even more when I have very large note files open (more than 20-30 pages).

Posts 8644
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 6:18 AM

frederick harrell:

I would guess that L4 is the only program you use which is built on WPF (Windows presentation foundation) which is as I understand it, a screen drawing component for .NET.  

The slowdown which is frequently reported is related to a bug in the .NET/WPF interface and not necessarily in L4's implementation.  Google a bit on WPF slow typing and watch the results rack up.  There appears to be a growing outcry for Microsoft to fix this bug.  I can almost guarantee that the day they do, L4's slow typing issue will also vaporize.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 10:17 AM

Thanks for the responses but my original question remains -  a new version of the same question - Does anyone on any system have snappy response when typing - so that the screen display consistently keeps up with your typing?

I have tried all the wiki suggestions, upgraded my video card, added memory, etc.

Does Logos 4 on the Mac show the same behavior? Perhaps I should finally take the plunge and get a Mac.

Again, thanks for the responses to this and all my other questions.

Posts 8644
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 10:43 AM

frederick harrell:
Thanks for the responses but my original question remains -  a new version of the same question - Does anyone on any system have snappy response when typing - so that the screen display consistently keeps up with your typing?
Sorry I missed the main question.  Embarrassed

I do not use notes within L4 frequently.  However, I have experienced the slowdown you're describing, in particular when my notes grow more than a few lines.  A few other times I have noticed the problem right away.  But AFAIK there is neither rhyme nor reason to it's appearance - for at other times I can type notes without delay.

So my answer to your query is: I am not one of the unaffected ones.

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 10:59 AM

Thanks Thomas - I did the google search you suggested and started to seriously consider getting a MAC to run Logos, then looked at the Logos 4 Mac forum and saw a number of posts that indicated more performance issues there. Rats!

I use Logos notes for all my exegetical work, sermon outlines, personal comments on Biblical passages, etc. I started up Logos 3 to see if the snappy performance I remembered was just selective memory and found no delay in screen display in notes of 1 line or severa pages.

Again, thanks.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 11:03 AM

frederick harrell:
Does anyone on any system have snappy response when typing - so that the screen display consistently keeps up with your typing?

I have very few instances of this happening any more. Early on I did, but not now. I occasionally get a brief hesitation when typing but not often. However, I do keep my notes within the design framework: just a brief annotation. For me this is typically one sentence, rarely more than two. For few those that are longer, they are typically other Bible verses (pasted in with the CBV tool), or copy/pasted from some other source.

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 11:35 AM

Thanks Richard - you mention "the design framework" for notes. Is that clarified anywhere?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 11:46 AM

frederick harrell:
Thanks Richard - you mention "the design framework" for notes. Is that clarified anywhere?

It was mentioned by Bob Pritchett in a discussion about expanding the notes feature. I'm not sure how to find that discussion right now. If I do, I'll post it.

Posts 171
Abi Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 12:01 PM

frederick harrell:
Does everyone experience a delay when typing in notes?

Yes, and I added it to the list of justifications for buying a new machine. The new technology I bought into is faster, overall. However, this problem persists. It is much less obvious when I uncheck the "use internet" box in program settings. It would seem that the syncing of notes may be a bottleneck. ...Possibly due to my less than optimal ISP.

So, That would translate to a NO concerning the consistency surrounding typing notes.

~

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 12:23 PM

Thaks Abi,

I have tried a whole variety of things including turning internet access on and off and shorter and longer note files and the delay seems to be almost completely random.

Posts 8644
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 12:40 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

frederick harrell:

It was mentioned by Bob Pritchett in a discussion about expanding the notes feature. I'm not sure how to find that discussion right now. If I do, I'll post it.

I think perhaps one of the following will clarify Richard's point, probably the first....

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 2:02 PM

Thomas Black:

Richard DeRuiter:

frederick harrell:

I think perhaps one of the following will clarify Richard's point, probably the first....

Thanks Thomas. That first one is a good example of what I was remembering.

BTW, the 3rd URL is the same as the 1st (reminds me of a song about 'Enn-er-y the eighth by Herman's Hermits -- Wow! now that's off-topic!).

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 3:25 PM

In skimming through the links above i ran across this quote from Bob: "Moving forward, I know we'll continue to emphasize "build my own study Bible" type notes, and we are definitely working to improve the little editing annoyances. We're also working to offer new ways of storing your thoughts, organizing research from the books, etc. My hope is that out of multiple tools every user can build a workflow that works for them."

This comment fits much of the way I use notes, although mine are sometimes more extensive than study Bible notes.

Thanks for the help to all of you, seems like I am stuck with sporadic display issues for the forseeable future.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2010 3:44 PM

frederick harrell:
Thanks for the help to all of you, seems like I am stuck with sporadic display issues for the forseeable future.

There is an easy work-around, if you don't mind cutting & pasting and Alt-Tabbing between programs.

Create the note in Logos, but, if it's a large note, type it up in any other word processor first (even notepad) then copy/paste into L4. If Logos doesn't detect and link to your Bible passages right away, just type (and then delete, if you wish) a space at the end of each paragraph.

I know it's a bit if a cludge, but it does work. In fact, Since I'm used to my word processor's environment (I use WordPerfect) more than Logos', I'm much quicker in WP for doing some things, like typing foreign language characters (e.g., á, é, í, ó, ú, ¡, ¿, for Spanish language), and spell checking, etc. Of course, for very short notes, this doesn't make much sense. But for temporarily storing and organizing a list of verses, or quotes, I prefer to do it in WP and copy/paste when I'm finished.

Posts 8644
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2010 6:30 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
BTW, the 3rd URL is the same as the 1st
HAH!  I guess I was sure that was the one.  

Richard DeRuiter:
Wow! now that's off-topic!)
And that's why you fit in so well Richard.  :-)

Same song second verse could be better could be worse....Another verse same as the first...

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS