Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 38 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 8639
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 16 2009 10:45 AM

I've been watching the iphone Threads (and participating) because I'm hopeful that m.logos.com will be more than just an iphone portal, but I'm losing hope.

It's time to start an official request thread (yes in general rather than in suggestions).

Here's why I think it would be worthwhile for Logos to pursue a Blackberry platform: it's market share is greater than the iphone. Don't miss it, it's market share is greater.

Admittedly a recent article points that analysts are seeing a slight drop in Blackberry while iphone rises but currently the Blackberry has the largest share, and besides the two companies (RIM and Apple)  “combine for 66% of the industry's operating profit." --COTD Can you really ignore that?

Blackberry still holds about 19.9 percent of the Global Market while Apple 10.8 percent.  The Market Share in the USA is even higher for RIM: 

“We are starting fiscal 2010 with strong financial performance and impressive market share gains, including a 55% share of the U.S. smartphone market according to IDC’s latest estimate,” -- Jim Balsillie, Co-CEO at Research In Motion

Follow the numbers.

There may be a lot of hype over the iphone, but there are a lot more hardware (and carrier!) options for the Blackberry. 

Currently in the US the iphone is locked in at AT&T and looks to be hamstrung that way for the foreseeable future.  But there remain multiple hundreds of Sprint (and other carrier's) users out there.  There have been over 26 million Blackberries shipped (and projected) in 2009 alone.  The Blackberry is a market force that cannot and must not be ignored.  Mobile developers ignore Blackberry at their own peril.

So let's hear it Logos, I'm pushing to get a Blackberry port.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 218
John Nerdue | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 11:21 AM

Yes! Please!

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 12:02 PM

Verizon Wireless is my carrier so no iPhone option for me.  I don't own a Blackberry at this time, but according to the Lord's provision it will be my next upgrade.  

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 33
Chris Burrows | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 12:25 PM

I'll put my vote in.  I have no desire to get an iPhone... I really like my Blackberry and have no issues with my carrier (Sprint).

Posts 62
Mike T | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 12:30 PM

Count me as another vote for Blackberry...  I am also with Verizon Wireless, and switching is not an option just to have an iphone...

Posts 2972
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 12:54 PM

Great point, Thomas. I absolutely echo this request. I will purchase an iPod touch if necessary to take advantage of the app, however. Nevertheless, I would very much prefer to not have to carry a second device to take advantage of the digital library.

I am grateful for any move Logos is making to the portable digital library world.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 8639
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 12:55 PM

Another reason for concern is AT&T itself. An article in last week's PCWorld indicates that the single iphone carrier may be considering caps or metering...

“AT&T Wireless CEO Ralph de la Vega bemoaned the disproportionate wireless bandwidth usage of a small number of its smartphone customers [read iPhone users] in a speech to wireless industry professionals here today, and hinted at an unpleasant way of dealing with the problem.
--AT&T Wireless CEO Hints at ‘Managing’ iPhone Data Usage - PC World

If AT&T starts capping iphone usage all of those other providers like Sprint will be ready to take over with their capable networks. 

NOTE: I'm a Blackberry/AT&T user so the metering would affect me as well, but at least without lockin, I can carry my 'berry to a new provider.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 1:05 PM

Thomas Black:

“AT&T Wireless CEO Ralph de la Vega bemoaned the disproportionate wireless bandwidth usage of a small number of its smartphone customers [read iPhone users] in a speech to wireless industry professionals here today, and hinted at an unpleasant way of dealing with the problem.
--AT&T Wireless CEO Hints at ‘Managing’ iPhone Data Usage - PC World

If AT&T starts capping iphone usage all of those other providers like Sprint will be ready to take over with their capable networks. 

That article confirms my continuing decision to avoid getting an iPhone, at least until Verizon can get them.  I'd thought about the Palm Pre...but the driving factor is bible software availability, and Logos exclusivity to iPhone would sway me.  So I wait.  Never really considered the Blackberry...any reason I should?

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 8639
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 2:18 PM

Todd Phillips:
Never really considered the Blackberry...any reason I should?

I can't really give you a reason you should Todd, but I'll tell you why I did.

I've been a Palm user since they came out.  I switched to Handspring with the original Palm developers jumped ship and made their own company.  (I still have my handspring, well my daughter does).  One day my Handspring Visor slipped out of my shirt pocket onto a marble floor and shattered the screen.  I was back in the market, but I was also tired of carrying two devices, one for my calendar and one for phone.  By that time the Handspring Treo line had been bought by Palm and I started looking at their phones.  I Finally purchased a Treo 650 when they were shiny new off the assembly line.   I immediately acclimated to the form factor and used it so much that I was wearing the paint off the keys.

When My Treo died I was able to get hold of another one as a temporary stopgap.  I started searching every phone out there for a replacement.  I needed it to be powerful, I needed it to have a full qwerty keyboard and I needed it to have WIFI, Email and a few other related requirements.  Short order: it had to fit the way I wanted to work, rather than forcing me into compromise.  If I was going to plunk down good money, it was going to be the phone I wanted.

I investigated the iphone before it even came out, I read every spec, watched Job's keynote, I appreciated it's asthetics and rejected it outright.  Truth be told, I was biased against the iphone because of Jobs.  I can't stand the guy for some reason.  But my bias isn't and wasn't my only reason for rejecting the iphone. 

On top of the hype was the interface.  It did not, does not and cannot work the way I work.  It does not major in the things I wanted to major in.  The iphone struck me and still does as a music player with a phone attached.  I do not build my life around music at all.  I'm not interested at all in massive mp3 libraries.  I read reviews of the iphone email app and the onscreen keyboard and I rejected the iphone as an overhyped eye-candy toy.  People may not like my summation but that's it.

Turning away from Iphone I began seriously investigating RIM because I'd heard that RIM had actually sued PALM for "stealing" it's curved keyboard design.  I'm not even sure how that lawsuit turned out, but the one thing I kept rejecting phone after phone over was the keyboard.  Yeah, I know it's a strange requirement but for me it was important. 

So I looked at, I think, every blackberry in production and settled ultimately on the curve 8900 just two months before it was released.

I continued reading every review (iphone included) I could get my hand on for the next two months, but when the curve went live I placed my order and have not regretted it.

• I prefer Blackberry because it feels more solid in my hand than the iphone did. 
  • I prefer Blackberry because the keyboard works.
  • I prefer Blackberry because it works the way I want to.
  • I prefer Blackberry because it was designed from the beginning as a business tool which is capable even of playing around, rather than a plaything which might also do business if you tweak it just right.
  • I prefer Blackberry because the BIS and BES servers are consistently secure.
  • I prefer Blackberry because the operating system, while quite different from my familiar Palm OS is still amazingly functional. 
  • I prefer Blackberry because it's available on multiple carriers.
  • I prefer Blackberry because, while there is plenty of hype out there for it - the hype is not the defining characteristic.
  • I prefer Blackberry because they continue to test, innovate and sometimes fail.  But their failures create better products.  Compare the Storm 2 with it's predecessor for example.
  • I prefer Blackberry because out of the box it did WIFI, GPS, Syncing of contacts with Google, Email, Calendar Sync, and so much more that I was hoping for.

Those are just a few reasons why I considered blackberry. 

Posts 76
Philip Gurgel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 2:39 PM

I think your original post is a bit deceptive.  Yes, there are more blackberries out there than there are iphones, but when you factor in the fact that the iphone app would also work for anyone who owns an ipod touch, that changes the statistics a lot.

I'm sure there are tons of people out there like me who have ipod touches because we don't feel like (or in my case can't afford) paying close to $100 bucks a month in phone/data bills but still like the productivity tools/fun that a smart phone offers.

While I hope that blackberry gets it's own app for your sake, I don't want an app that is poorly designed because it has to cater to a number of different operating systems.  I'd rather they have an incredible app that takes advantage of all that the iphone/ipod touch has to offer.  And afterwards that they move on and produce an equally incredible app for blackberries.

Posts 8639
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 3:28 PM

PhilipGurgel:
I think your original post is a bit deceptive.  Yes, there are more blackberries out there than there are iphones, but when you factor in the fact that the iphone app would also work for anyone who owns an ipod touch, that changes the statistics a lot.
Ah, well the deception was not intentional.  Smile  I neglected to consider the ipod touch at all because it's not a phone.  However you point to an interesting dilema.  While I'm able to discern market shares for similar products (Blackberries and iphones) there's no true way that I'm aware of to gauge unrelated products (Blackberry and ipod touch).  One is a smart phone the other is a glorified MP3 player.  It's a comparison of (ahem) apples and blackberries and at least they are both fruit.  The closest you can say about the Blackberry and the touch is that they both have screens and electronics inside.  So do wristwatches.

PhilipGurgel:
While I hope that blackberry gets it's own app for your sake, I don't want an app that is poorly designed because it has to cater to a number of different operating systems. 
Indeed, a poorly designed app is not in anybody's best interest, neither the users nor the company.  Once someone get's a bad taste in their mouth it's tough to get it out.

I frankly am not holding out a lot of hope for a Blackberry app, but I'm asking for one.  I'm not even asking for it to replace the iphone app.  It appears, from Bob's earlier comments, that there are a good number of  iphone/Logos users.  I'm hoping that the iphone app is so good that it fosters further smartphone development, in other platforms as well.

The point of this thread isn't to advocate dumping, watering down or otherwise harming the iphone app.  It is merely to provide a place to advocate for Blackberry support.

Posts 70
Andrew Hughes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 16 2009 4:25 PM

As a blackberry and iphone owner, one for work and the other for personal use, I find the prospect of having to choose between the two (or buying both) interesting :)

I certainly would add my vote for a Blackberry capable version, if for no other reason than choice. I find the current selection of Bible apps for the Blackberry weak, and generally do not like the idea of re-paying for resources I have already purchased for Logos.

One interesting stat to look at would be typical application usage of Blackberry users vs iPhone users. The Blackberry market share is largely a result of their corporate penetration, and early adoption in the corporate environment as a standard. The iPhone has largely built it's user base purely from a consumer targeted audience. I know this distinction is not clear cut and there will be some overlap, but I'm sure this factors into the decisions of companies when deciding which platform to develop for... 

I can't comment on the credibility of surveys like these (http://blog.flurry.com/?Tag=Blackberry) but I've seen a number of them that seem to indicate market share may not mean much... 

Please don't take my comments negatively. You have my vote! Simply consider them food for thought, or even discussion :)

-Andrew

Posts 17
Scott Chambers | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 11:49 AM

please oh please help us faithful blackberry users...Wink

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 12:05 PM

Yes, Yes and Yes again! I would love to have Logos on my Blackberry Storm!
I'm looking forward to seeing it offered one day soon. I'll sign on as soon as it happens.

Posts 19
Steven Kaminski | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:06 PM

I have a Storm on Verizon. I am very tempted to switch to the Droid. But the presence of a Logos app for one or the other will probably seal the deal for me.

Steven Kaminski

Posts 8639
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 6:00 AM

Indications are that it won't be soon Steven.  I've got time since I'm locked in with the majority of a 2 year contract remaining Smile  iphone first, then it seems like WInmo, with BB brinigng up the rear.  At least that's my educated guess since they're currently doing a windows mobile survey.

Posts 1706
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:45 AM

We're hoping to have a generic mobile web solution next, after which we'll evaluate more dedicated apps for specific platforms.

The iPhone has the advantage of being one device; our investigation of BlackBerry and Windows Mobile so far shows that there are lots of device-specific issues for development and testing. (Some with touch screens, some without, some with soft keyboards, some with physical, etc.)

We'll start with something "everybody" can use, even if with reduced functionality, then try to add platform specific helps and extensions, then see if we can afford the development investment for the next level.

Posts 8639
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 8:16 AM

Bob Pritchett:
We're hoping to have a generic mobile web solution next, after which we'll evaluate more dedicated apps for specific platforms.
This is my new favorite post! 

Thanks Bob.

Posts 19
Steven Kaminski | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 10:05 AM

The phone gurus in the industry are beginning to question the viability of Windows Mobile, since Microsoft issued an significant upgrades lately (6.5 wasn't much of an upgrade).  The buzz is that Android is quickly filling the gap--Motorola has announced that all their future phones will run Android.

So, I don't know that there's much of a future to Windows Mobile.

Steven Kaminski

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:30 PM

Steven Kaminski:

The buzz is that Android is quickly filling the gap--Motorola has announced that all their future phones will run Android.

And Motorola share prices are skyrocketing as a result.

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS