Mac logos 4 performance compared to Windows

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 11 2010 10:05 PM

I am deciding on a new computer purchase - Logos 4 performance on my windows machines has been my primary motivator (one issue being the typing delay in notes but there are many others)

How does Logos 4 performance on a Macbook pro compare to performance on a windows machine

The machines I am considering

Macbook Pro 15"

• 2.66GHz Intel Core i7
  • 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
  • 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
  • Dell xps 17

Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, 64-Bit, English
    Processor Intel® Core™ i7-740QM (1.73GHz, 8 threads, turbo boost up to 2.93GHz, 6M cache)
    Memory 8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
    Keyboard Standard Keyboard - English
    Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 445M 3GB graphics with TV Tuner

Processor

Intel® Core™ i7-740QM (1.73GHz, 8 threads, turbo boost up to 2.93GHz, 6M cache)

Memory

8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory

Keyboard

Standard Keyboard - English

Video Card

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 445M 3GB graphics with TV Tuner

Posts 1246
    David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 12 2010 8:04 AM

Performance is a complex topic, and it's difficult to make sweeping generalizations about "Logos 4 performance" on different machines, as much of this depends on what you intend to do with the software: some operations are slower on a Mac, while other operations are (or will soon be) faster on a Mac.

If you want a better answer to this question, I would recommend that you provide more detail about your current Logos 4 workflows.

David Mitchell
    Development Lead
    Faithlife

Posts 82
    Andrew Hanson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 10:10 AM

Bot the machines you are considering are beasts! I have an early 2008 Macbook, and Logos 4 runs very well on it. It even ran well when I was running in Windows via Parallels. Either way, you shouldn't have any performance issues. So, get the Mac!

Posts 164
    Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 10:04 PM

My major issue with Logos 4 is the delay in note display on the PC version (screen display lags behind typing sometimes a little and sometimes a lot) I use notes extensively and thought if the Mac version was faster then it might be worthwile to switch to a Mac for my next computer. I never use the homepage, typically have 5 or 6 Bibles open along with 2-4 commentaries - I do lots of exegetical work, some sentence diagramming, use favorites to organize my note files (4 or so for each book of the Bible) I rough out my sermons in notes then transfer to Word. I use verse lists, searches often. here is a screenshot - On my desktop I use 2 monitors and the display shows 4 columns.

thanks for the help.

Posts 10739
    Forum MVP
    Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 16 2010 4:05 AM

frederick harrell:
    My major issue with Logos 4 is the delay in note display on the PC version (screen display lags behind typing sometimes a little and sometimes a lot) I use notes extensively and thought if the Mac version was faster then it might be worthwile to switch to a Mac for my next computer.

At present, Notes are very much a work in progress in L4 Mac. However, when considering the purchase of a new machine, you need to take a long range view. If L4 Win works better with Notes now, you can still run Windows on a Mac with Parallels (my setup) or Fusion. Both of these utilities are relatively inexpensive.

The typing lag in L4 Win seems to be caused by WPF which is outside Logos' control. L4 Mac may eventually type faster than the Windows version. Perhaps someone from the Dev Team can expand on this thought.

Posts 15805
    Forum MVP
    Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 16 2010 6:49 AM

Jack Caviness:
    If L4 Win works better with Notes now, you can still run Windows on a Mac with Parallels (my setup) or Fusion. Both of these utilities are relatively inexpensive.

Oracle's VirtualBox is free alternative for Parallels and Fusion - Apple's Boot Camp is free dual boot option - all need valid Windows license.  Boot Camp is faster than virtualization (Apple computer booted up => WIndows).

Observation: Virtual Machines benefit from more RAM in computer and adequate disk space - Logos resources not shareable (disk space also applies to Boot Camp)

frederick harrell:
    I am deciding on a new computer purchase - Logos 4 performance on my windows machines has been my primary motivator (one issue being the typing delay in notes but there are many others)

Platform decision somewhat depends on what else plan to use.  Thankfully, Logos 4 licensing allows a library user to have multiple computers (e.g. desktop with big screen and laptop).

Apple offers refurbished Mac's for sale (packaged like new with 1 year warranty) => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1539
    Terry Poperszky | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 16 2010 7:20 AM

As an Apple Fanboy, my immediate response is go MBP Wink

With that said, although I always try to start L4Mac first, I find that if I am doing serious study I usually end up in L4Win (Running win7 in Fusion) because of speed and feature issues. Surprise YMMV

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS