Why is creating a Note so incredibly slow?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 152
Mike Strawn | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 13 2010 4:16 AM

Just curious - is the incredibly slow speed associated with creating a Note due to the fact that every keystroke is being written to the Logos Database over the Internet? If that is the case - could the Notes feature be designed in such a way as to wait until is finished or saved or the active Notes window now become the inactive window? Otherwise - typing Notes is really painful.

Just curious.

-Mike 

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 13 2010 6:27 AM

Mike Strawn:
is the incredibly slow speed associated with creating a Note due to the fact that every keystroke is being written to the Logos Database over the Internet?

This is an often asked question but it is not the internet that is slowing Notes down but a Microsoft bug in WPF that is used by Logos 4 to display information on the screen.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 10804
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 13 2010 7:10 AM

Graham Owen:

Mike Strawn:
is the incredibly slow speed associated with creating a Note due to the fact that every keystroke is being written to the Logos Database over the Internet?

This is an often asked question but it is not the internet that is slowing Notes down but a Microsoft bug in WPF that is used by Logos 4 to display information on the screen.

Graham

L4 Mac does not use WPF. Someone more informed about programming on the Mac will need to answer this question.

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 13 2010 9:25 AM

Jack Caviness:
L4 Mac does not use WPF. Someone more informed about programming on the Mac will need to answer this question.

Ooops, so used to seeing this on the PC did not notice it was a Mac query! 

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 9
Jorge Mendoza | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 13 2010 11:56 AM

I have the same question...and along with that

why don't scripture references show up as "live links"  when you type them into a note?

Posts 119
Ross Durham | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 6:21 AM

Notes are slow but also when I create a Note, it does not take me to the new note, rather I have to scroll and search to find the location of the new Note in the Note page.  This never happened on the PC version.  Frustrating. 

Posts 698
LogosEmployee
Cameron Watters (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 10:20 AM

Mike Strawn:
Just curious - is the incredibly slow speed associated with creating a Note due to the fact that every keystroke is being written to the Logos Database over the Internet?

No. We don't sync after every keystroke; that would be silly. We don't even write the note to the local disk until you've paused your typing for half a second.

I'd be interested to see logs of your note creating session, since I rarely experience delays while typing in Notes.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 698
LogosEmployee
Cameron Watters (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 10:22 AM

Ross Durham:
Notes are slow but also when I create a Note, it does not take me to the new note, rather I have to scroll and search to find the location of the new Note in the Note page.

This is known and will be addressed in the near future.

Posts 698
LogosEmployee
Cameron Watters (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 10:22 AM

Jorge Mendoza:
why don't scripture references show up as "live links"  when you type them into a note?

Bible reference auto-detection hasn't been implemented yet on the Mac, but will be implemented in the near future.

Posts 9
Jorge Mendoza | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2010 11:36 AM

Thanks Cameron, appreciate the responses and all the hard work!

Posts 119
Ross Durham | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 17 2010 7:06 PM

Thanks for the replies.  Really?  I'll have to send you my logs too since I nearly always get 1-3 second delays in typing notes. 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS