Weingreen's A Practical Grammar For Classical Hebrew

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 2925
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 18 2009 10:30 AM

This was the textbook I originally learned from, and the one I go back to most often. I know it is also the grammar that RTS Virtual Hebrew Courses work from (so you would already have a large computer-saavy audience who would need this as a mandatory book and may prefer it digitally, since they would be working from their computers).

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 18 2009 11:22 AM

Jacob Hantla:

This was the textbook I originally learned from, and the one I go back to most often. I know it is also the grammar that RTS Virtual Hebrew Courses work from (so you would already have a large computer-saavy audience who would need this as a mandatory book and may prefer it digitally, since they would be working from their computers).

I used the classic Davidson's Introductory Hebrew Grammar.  Weingreen is another classic introductory text.  Unfortunately, while Davidson's has been heavily updated, Weingreen has not.  I know of a mutual help forum which uses several different texts depending upon which group in the forum is considered.  One group is learning Rabbinic Hebrew which those learning biblical Hebrew use either Mansoor or Weingreen.  I suspect there would be some market for an electronic Weingreen. 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 17
Ken M. Penner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 20 2013 9:06 AM

I would love to see a digital version of Weingreen's Practical Grammar for Classical Hebrew.

Posts 161
David Roberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 3:26 PM
Weingreen is a classic. It's what I learnt Hebrew from, and I know many others who use it regularly. It's ideal for first year students.
Posts 47

I am teaching Hebrew at Anderson University online, and we are heavily promoting the course as an accessible course which sighted and blind students can take together. Weingreen's grammar is the only Hebrew grammar that is available in braille format at this point; and we are using this grammar in my course. I would love to have a digital text available and be able to encourage Logos use for everyone.

Sarah Blake LaRose

http://www.night-light.org

Lenovo Thinkpad, 8GB RAM, 1.50GB quad core processor, Win 7, Logos 6

Posts 47

Sorry for resurrecting an old topic, but I cannot find another place to ask this. Is anyone aware, other than first/second edition differences, of existing texts of Weingreen that have differences in exercise ordering? I have a student using the same ISBN and publication date, but he has vastly different exercise order--and an answer key.

Sarah Blake LaRose

http://www.night-light.org

Lenovo Thinkpad, 8GB RAM, 1.50GB quad core processor, Win 7, Logos 6

Posts 17
Ken M. Penner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 20 2015 5:42 PM

No. I collaborated on a proposal to revise and update Weingreen's grammar, and the closest I've found is http://mrrives.com/ETH/Manual.pdf and

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS