Page 2 of 4 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 73 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 18594
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2010 2:59 PM

Donnie Hale:

Rosie Perera:

Logos could of course provide a download manager which we could download and use when downloading files from their site. But at present they don't.

Please, no! Not another 3rd party, vendor-specific download manager. I've got 3 from Microsoft, Adobe has one, Apple wants me to use one, ugh! I'm perfectly capable of using Free Download Manager on my own when I know I need it.

No, I don't want them to either. I guess I didn't word that very well. I was being a bit sarcastic.

Posts 15
Doug Wesney | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2010 7:39 AM

It's Thanksgiving, so I'm taking the Thankful tack.  The files are enormous and are highly dependent on a clean signal for the duration of your download.  Hiccups in transmission might require another load.  I've got a very high speed cable connection, and they took 30-60 minutes each...that's a huge opportunity for Mr. Murphy to make a visit to your download.  At first mine were acting skittish, but once I pulled them out of the zip files and loaded them directly (uncompressed) onto my hard drive, I found they were far less squirrely.  I do find that the third video has crashed Quicktime around 0:50 on four occasions, but if I pull the place marker past that 0:50 point, I have no crashes.  I've watched thru the first 5, but had to leave my computer for a family visit out of town for Thanksgiving. (sniff, sniff)

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, let's remember that our bretheren at Logos are trying to satisfy the demands of we (US?) instantaneous types, raised in the world of microwaves.  Think about how amazing it is (despite the goofiness) and the cost of delivery is negligible.  You had HD-quality video at near-real time demand.  Thank you, Father, for the Internet.  I am learning to read Your Word in the original languages while sitting in the home You provided me, and with a great cloud of witnesses in the Logos Forums!  What a great BLESSING!

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 25 2010 7:55 AM

Doug Wesney:

It's Thanksgiving, so I'm taking the Thankful tack.  The files are enormous and are highly dependent on a clean signal for the duration of your download.  Hiccups in transmission might require another load.  I've got a very high speed cable connection, and they took 30-60 minutes each...that's a huge opportunity for Mr. Murphy to make a visit to your download.  At first mine were acting skittish, but once I pulled them out of the zip files and loaded them directly (uncompressed) onto my hard drive, I found they were far less squirrely.  I do find that the third video has crashed Quicktime around 0:50 on four occasions, but if I pull the place marker past that 0:50 point, I have no crashes.  I've watched thru the first 5, but had to leave my computer for a family visit out of town for Thanksgiving. (sniff, sniff)

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, let's remember that our bretheren at Logos are trying to satisfy the demands of we (US?) instantaneous types, raised in the world of microwaves.  Think about how amazing it is (despite the goofiness) and the cost of delivery is negligible.  You had HD-quality video at near-real time demand.  Thank you, Father, for the Internet.  I am learning to read Your Word in the original languages while sitting in the home You provided me, and with a great cloud of witnesses in the Logos Forums!  What a great BLESSING!

Peace to you, Doug!

And ...   always Joy in the Lord!     *smile*

This Canadian thanks you -- as well as the Lord! -- on this your National Day of Thanksgiving for such a positive and insightful post!  Even a bit of good humour there also!

God has done a good job on you!   *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 97
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2010 10:56 PM

Yes, I am very grateful to LOGOS in providing a means to utilize technology to help me study GOD's Word!   And I hope that I am always a grateful person.   The Learn to Use Greek and Hebrew video series is something that I have always wanted!   I do look forward to the replacement DVD's, as the downloads were corrupted, even after downloading twice.

Paul

Paul

Posts 578
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 10:13 AM

Any idea on when these replacement DVD's will be sent? I know that we had to reply to Logos before the 3rd of December or sometime in that vicinity, so I'm guessing that they now have a listing of who wants replacement DVD's.

Posts 97
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 4:07 PM

I had read that they were going to be sent out the middle of December, which it is as of tomorrow.........

Paul

Paul

Posts 841
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 7:10 AM

I hope so. Even though I have a fast Internet connection, I ordered the replacement DVDs and haven't attempted the download.

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 578
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 27 2010 9:16 AM

I just received my replacement DVD's in this morning's mail. So far, I've only gone through the lesson on the Greek Alphabet. The quality seems considerably better than the previous release. Thank You Logos!!!!

Posts 1913
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 28 2010 8:08 AM

Bill Shewmaker:
I just received my replacement DVD's

I started watching on windows media player "Intro to Greek" and at 1.20, widows media player encountered a problem and had to close. I cannot play the intro passed 1.20.  Anyone else encounter this problem?

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 28 2010 11:21 AM

Mark:

I started watching on windows media player "Intro to Greek" and at 1.20, widows media player encountered a problem and had to close. I cannot play the intro passed 1.20.  Anyone else encounter this problem?

Same here. I did a little research.

Windows Media crashes at 1:20 for me too (Windows 7 x64, but using x32 Windows Media player).  I also tried iTunes and QuickTime player to play it, and both are fine, playing past 1:20 with no problem.

I did see when iTunes and QuickTime play it, that at 1:20 there is some artifacting under Johnny's chin, right side as you look at it, right at 1:20. I suspect this artifacting or defect in the video is crashing Windows Media but the other two handle it well - or maybe whatever is wrong they handle with some slight artifacting, and WMP crashes? I leave that to the experts.  But there is some issue at 1:20 to be sure...

Posts 97
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 28 2010 11:33 AM

I too have this problem, however it is with the old DVD's as well as the other problems.  Are you saying that the new DVD'd have this problem too?  Oh No!!!

Paul

Paul

Posts 1913
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 28 2010 1:53 PM

Paul Rose:
Are you saying that the new DVD'd have this problem too?

The problem I refer too is from the new DVD's just received in the mail.  I have only tried the intro course and found the problem immediately.

Posts 97
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2010 5:54 PM

I received the replacement DVD's today and I too found the problem with the Greek Intro video....Any resolution to this yet?

Paul

Paul

Posts 1913
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2010 7:31 AM

Paul Rose:
I received the replacement DVD's today and I too found the problem with the Greek Intro video....Any resolution to this yet?

The workaround seems to be to download the quicktime plugin and play the video in quicktime. Hopefully the issue is only with the one file.

Posts 18594
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2010 8:43 AM

Paul Rose:

I have notified Logos's Kent Hendricks about the problem and he'll be looking into it.

Posts 97
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2010 11:47 AM

Thank you!

Paul

Paul

Posts 52
LogosEmployee
Reuben Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2010 4:25 PM

I was able to confirm that Windows Media Player 12 does crash at that spot. We are looking into what is going on there. In the meantime you can just click the timeline a couple seconds ahead of where it crashes and the video will keep playing. 

In the meantime, I do recommend QuickTime and you are able to see the chapter divisions in QuickTime. 

Addition: Working on a fix for WMP12. This is the first time we've heard of this particular issue. We want to make sure that it works for both players. 

Posts 52
LogosEmployee
Reuben Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2011 9:41 AM

A temporary workaround for WMP12 users:

1. If you see a pop up box saying, "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file." 

2. Click "Close"

3. Click on the timeline of the video just after the point it stopped playing. (This is the blue "progress indicator" that appears  just over the controls when you float your cursor over the video)

4. Click the Play button.

Posts 52
LogosEmployee
Reuben Evans (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2011 3:17 PM

Update:

After reviewing the videos here is what we have found:

1. The Hebrew disc appears unaffected. All the videos play fine regardless of the media player.

2. The error pops up on the following videos on the Greek disc - 1,3,15,27,30.

3. The workaround mentioned above works for those videos.

more info to follow.

Posts 1913
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2011 3:50 PM

Reuben Evans:
After reviewing the videos here is what we have found:

Reuben

I for one appreciate very much your follow up on this and also for giving us information on other videos affected.  This saves much frustration.

Mark

Page 2 of 4 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS