Questions about Notes

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 33 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 7
Ronnie James | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 11:35 AM

One problem I find annoying with notes in L4 is when I'm hovering over the ones that have quite a bit of content.....not all of the text is shown in the pop-up window.  To see all of the note I then have to click on it, where it then takes me to the appropriate file.  This can be just a little distracting as it takes me away from the particular publication I'm reading.  L3 shows me all of the note's content regardless of its size.  Is there any way around this in L4, or is it something that I just have to live with?

Posts 124
Cindy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 11:39 AM

Well for those who are frustrated, please vote for my suggestion and maybe we can get some of it back:

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/topics/43299-i-suggest-you-/filter/hot

give us back the ability to format our notes

I would like to have back the feature that allows us to format our notes with color and underlines etc. I would also like to have back the ability to choose if the reference the note is attached to is underlined or highlighted.

Posts 124
Cindy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 11:41 AM

(I thought I just posted this so forgive me if it shows up twice)

David Paul:

Yeah...it is unquestionably clear to me that L3's note capability is far superior to L4's. Just one of the reasons that I continue to use L3 for the majority of my study. I have a friend whom I got to buy Logos software, though he bought the Mac version. He has seen my use L3 in my presentations and was hoping to have the same kind of ability that I have. I warned him that L4 doesn't do what L3 does, but I suppose he thought it couldn't be THAT different. Frankly, he's deeply disappointed. He told me a couple of days ago that he could have just gotten free or cheap software that had the kind of note ability that L3 has...but he ended up spending hundreds for the priviledge of severely limited capability at best. He's not a happy camper. He even sounded like he regretted his purchase.

I doubt I will ever switch to L4 entirely (though I use it for specialized purposes) but this is an issue that Logos needs to address for those who use it exclusively.

Well for anyone who is frustrated please vote for my suggestion so we can get some of the functionality back:

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/topics/43299-i-suggest-you-/filter/hot

give us back the ability to format our notes

I would like to have back the feature that allows us to format our notes with color and underlines etc. I would also like to have back the ability to choose if the reference the note is attached to is underlined or highlighted

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 1:12 PM

Cynthia LaFreniere,  you are not alone in frustration with Logos 4, I agree a lot of things need to be replaced before it is a major contender to take over Libronix 3.  Still I find some parts of the system are beyond Libronix 3, put it just doesn't matter at this point I would have rather have good in more areas rather than great in just a few.  I think that most people that really want to get the most out of their study time know that Logos 4 has some serious limits.  In another 6 months or a year, I hope this will not be true!

In Christ,

Jim VanSchoonhoven

Posts 1896
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 1:54 PM

Here's one man's observations on this whole "Notes" issue. I'll point out that I didn't use L3 much, and while I use L4 extensively, I don't use its Notes feature.

I find the ability to drag-and-drop information from Logos into Word far more powerful than any integrated Notes capability might provide me (short of hosting Word within L4, which can be done with Word's COM capabilities). First, it responds faster than adding something to an L4 note or clipping - and that's even though it has to happen between different applications. I have L4 clippings with maybe 20 clips in them, and the more I add, the slower it gets. That certainly doesn't happen with Word. Second, apart from adding stuff into notes or clippings, the responsiveness of interacting inside a notes or clippings window is quite poor. And I have leading edge hardware. I don't want application latency hindering my stream-of-consciousness ability to put thoughts on "paper". Correspondingly, my fingers "know" Word. Third, Word is a complete word processing application. I can do any kind of formatting I may want to do in it; and I have access to a far greater set of resources outside of Logos than I do in L4 notes or clippings. Bob Pritchett has said he doesn't want to be in the word processing software development business, and I can understand why. So I don't see the relative distance between L4 notes and Word changing much. Finally, I don't have to either have Logos or perform some kind of export to give my Word documents to a very large portion of the computer-using world. The Word format is proprietary (though they've documented their 2007/2010 file formats); but it's not obfuscated behind the application to the degree that Logos notes are.

This isn't a swipe at Logos - it's the only tool of its kind (IMO) for what its intended purpose is. I just think there are far better options for putting notes together than what an app like Logos could ever provide. The only downsides would be: a) the need for a 3rd party word processor like Word; b) the fact that the drag-and-drop or copy-paste has to happen to another application.

On one of my Logos devices, I don't have any word processor. Maybe I'll install Open Office tonight (free) and see if it responds to drag-and-drops and clipboard pastes from L4 as well as Word does.

My $.02 ...

Donnie

Posts 18774
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 3:38 PM

Donnie Hale:
I just think there are far better options for putting notes together than what an app like Logos could ever provide. The only downsides would be: a) the need for a 3rd party word processor like Word; b) the fact that the drag-and-drop or copy-paste has to happen to another application.

I agree that there are better apps for writing and formatting notes. Word is great for that sort of thing. The problem is it doesn't have the major functionality that makes having Notes integrated into Logos so useful: 1) They are linked to your Bible (or other book) text, so you can click on a note indicator in the text and jump to the corresponding note.  2) They are searched in Logos when you do a Search or a Passage Guide. Yes, you can do a plain text search in Word. But try using Word to find all the notes you've got that mention the Psalms of Ascent (Pss. 120-134). Logos will know that "Ps 121" and "Psalm 121" and "Ps 121:1-4" are all part of that range. Word won't.

Posts 27044
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 3:38 PM

For my use of notes, my choice is Logos or MSAccess ... I store questions and notes relative to a particular passage or relative to all the readings for a particular liturgical day. I then pull out the notes and questions to build Bible studies. Any third party notes solution has to have the verse mapping in Logos which makes that solution a bit of a no-go. And, yes, I have tried knowledge base solutions.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 5:31 PM

I think, like it or not for Logos to really be a total learning system, they simply need a better notes system, and I think the more you study using Logos 4 the more you see how much more you could learn and how much more useful the system would be with a better system of notes!

When teaching people how to use bible software, there almost seems like there is a point when people all of a sudden get the purpose of notes,  that is when they start learning things faster!

I have had many people tell me how smart I am.  I show them that I am not smart, but rather that I have found a way to record my research , search it quickly, find what I need and access it on the spot!  I am really just smart enough to know I needed help and now I use it!!!  Okay, I am smart enough to read.

In Christ,

Jim VanSchoonhoven

Posts 164
Rick Harrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 24 2010 10:12 AM

Rosie Perera:
The problem is it doesn't have the major functionality that makes having Notes integrated into Logos so useful:

MJ and Rosie - both of you hit my major issue with Logos 4 - having all the great stuff including the ability to integrate all my sermon and exegetical work and then being stuck with sluggish and awkward "notes". Arrgh!

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 27 2010 8:57 AM

MJ. Smith:

For my use of notes, my choice is Logos or MSAccess ... I store questions and notes relative to a particular passage or relative to all the readings for a particular liturgical day. I then pull out the notes and questions to build Bible studies. Any third party notes solution has to have the verse mapping in Logos which makes that solution a bit of a no-go. And, yes, I have tried knowledge base solutions.

MJ:

How do you use MSAccess in this way?

Posts 3666
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 27 2010 9:20 AM

A number of users have chosen to not use LOGOS notes.  Though there are several threads that discuss this issue, here is a recent one:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/26396.aspx

The thread will point you toward several tools that other LOGOS users have adopted in lieu of the LOGOS provided notes.  I use both TheJournal and MS OneNote - depending on what I am trying to accomplish, but obviously, others have chosen other (some free) alternatives.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 27044
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 27 2010 9:24 PM

William J Cook:
How do you use MSAccess in this way?

I literally built my own system in Access in the past. I'm trying to find ways to get along with the limitations of Logos 4 notes in exchange for their advantages.

However, I just figured out what I want for the twelve days of Christmas!

1. PBB's and sermons/illustrations
  2. user built parallel passages & timeline
  3. notes accepting tables and attaching to multiple passages
  4. user exchange of data
  5. reworked handouts or a lesson builder
  6. prayer list reworked to allow scriptural links and not autoclose when a note is added
  7. lectionaries reworked to use liturgical date as a key
  8. reading lists manually built and not "equalized" by the system
  9. ability to build study templates
  10. a study template linked to lectionaries that supports the study of multiple passages as a unit
  11. links to useful lectionary based sermon and worship preparation websites as I never use the current links
  12. everything everybody else wants that doesn't interfere with how I want it.

Doesn't that sound like the absolute tops for the 12 days of Christmas? And it stays within my budget.Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3666
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 27 2010 9:31 PM

MJ. Smith:
However, I just figured out what I want for the twelve days of Christmas!

1. PBB's and sermons/illustrations
  2. user built parallel passages & timeline
  3. notes accepting tables and attaching to multiple passages
  4. user exchange of data
  5. reworked handouts or a lesson builder
  6. prayer list reworked to allow scriptural links and not autoclose when a note is added
  7. lectionaries reworked to use liturgical date as a key
  8. reading lists manually built and not "equalized" by the system
  9. ability to build study templates
  10. a study template linked to lectionaries that supports the study of multiple passages as a unit
  11. links to useful lectionary based sermon and worship preparation websites as I never use the current links
  12. everything everybody else wants that doesn't interfere with how I want it.

I could go for this - okay, now to get LOGOS to put the package together.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 1 2010 12:11 PM

Jerry M:

George Somsel:
(A major pain since you need to uncheck each and every note separately in each resource

You can right click on the note in your visual filters drop down and uncheck them in all resources at once.

I wish that one worked on Mac!! Having to uncheck every single note file in virtually every single new resource I open is beginning to drive me a bit crazy...

I also wish the default was off; much easier to click them on where and when I want them, than to click them off everywhere I don't want them. For me, that is. Anyone knows a command to change the default?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS