Logos for MAC or PC

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 129
ton verdam | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 22 2010 7:08 PM

I am about to buy a new computer and am considering a MAC.

Anyone who has experience with both MAC and a PC and can tell me which one is best to run LOGOS on?

Posts 4732
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 1:12 AM

Yes – mine!

No seriously both, I understand work very well. The Mac version is slightly behind the windows version at the moment but is catching up fast. However there a myriad of little benefits to working with a Mac that will make you so glad you made the move.

My advice is not to ask this question on the 'Windows' Forum they are all biased over there.

Posts 13397
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 1:18 AM

Mike Binks:
My advice is not to ask this question on the 'Windows' Forum they are all biased over there.

Unlike all you guys on the Mac forum, of course!

My advice would simply be that as far as Logos is concerned there is very little difference. You should make your Mac/PC decision based on factors other than Logos (price, software availability, ease of use, etc.).

Posts 147
John Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 2:30 AM

I run BOTH on my macbook pro for now, but work mostly in Mac.  The Mac version lacks some functionality of the Windows, but is slowly catching up.  The thing that most annoys me about the Mac version is that User Notes that are linked to Bible verses do not link automatically with a versified Bible as they do in Windows.  Once you get too many notes they become almost unusable.  Hopefully they will have that functionality soon.

Rant begins...On the other hand IMHO I switched from PC's to MAC's about 8 years ago and will NEVER buy PC again.  MAC's are just too user friendly and easy.  Compare the (idiotic) Microsoft Word user interface (which was obviously done by Geekengineers) with Pages for Mac.  Pages: Intuitive and Simple.  Word: Non-intuitive and Arcane.  IPhoto - Bundled and Simple.  Garage Band: Bundled and incredibly powerful, as is iMovie, and of course iTunes.  Whatever else one can say about Steve Jobs, his insistence on his engineers creating a simple and intuitive interface in everything they do is truly brilliant.  Rant over. 

Posts 147
John Murphy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 3:22 AM

Indisputable visual evidence of EXACTLY what I mean.  Here is a Microsoft employee explaining one of the "coolest" features of Word 2011 - the addition of Math Tools!?!

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/murrays/archive/2010/11/22/mac-word-2011-and-math.aspx

I'll bet about what, 1% of users turn to Word for math.   The rest of us pull out a calculator...

Posts 1448
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 4:31 AM

A PC can only run PC. Legitimately, anyways (leaving out the Hackintosh).

But an Apple can run both.

I prefer my shiny iMac to my Dell.

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 7:35 AM

Ben:

A PC can only run PC. Legitimately, anyways (leaving out the Hackintosh).

But an Apple can run both.

I prefer my shiny iMac to my Dell.

To be fair (and as you hint at), this is Apple's fault. Microsoft allows their products to be used in customized environments, including various hardware configurations and within virtual machines. Apple does not allow this. The lack of a virtual machine to run OS X within Windows is the fault of Apple's licensing restrictions, not a fault of Windows (or Linux or insert_os_here).

There are some good reasons why Apple wouldn't allow their OS to be run on different hardware (third-party driver support) but there really isn't a good reason for them not to allow VM support other than their desire to keep people on Apple hardware. Makes good business sense, but it's aggravating to customers like me.

This is one of the things that really annoys me about Apple. In a day of open standards, Apple still tries to keep their cards pulled tightly to their chest. I love Apple's Pages word processor and do most of my work in Pages, but it annoys me that when I boot into Windows I cannot work on my Pages documents because (as I understand it) Apple hasn't opened the format to third-party editors. Because of this I'm often tempted to switch back to Word just so I can edit my documents no matter which OS I happen to be in. I can sort of understand Apple not writing a PC version of Pages or their iWork suite, but I don't like that they won't open up their document formats for others to use.

Posts 170
Bob | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 9:20 AM

Sadly, in the IT industry we have fallen into the old paradigm of religious wars. And those on both sides can have valid justifications for their dogma about exactly how many angels can dance on the head of - excuse me which OS is "superior".  The short answer will always be - it depends. If you want to run Final Cut Pro on your machine to format movies, you need a MAC. If you need compatibility with the latest version of MS Office, you need a windows machine.   If everyone in your office uses MACs, get a MAC, of they all use WIndows 7 get a windows machine. Compatibility is important, we do not have Roman Catholic and Southern Baptist services in the same room at the same time, it might be somewhat disruptive - to both of them.   At one time I needed many Windows program so I ran windows. Now I only have one or two (LOGOS is essentially the last) so I run MAC and Parallels for it.  

Overall, IN MY CASE (Your MIleage May Vary)  my hobbies/avocations involve photography, video editing and music production. The MAC software for these tasks is IN MY OPINION (YMMV) the better choice for ease of use, power, and cost.  Overall, the total cost is really about the same, the MAC will not need as much of an investment in anti virus software and backup software as Windows which brings down any discrepancies. My Windows computers rarely lasted more than three years, my current laptop is 4 years old and going strong.  (again YMMV).  

Bob - 17" MBP quad 2.3GHz 4GB  and iMAC

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 11:07 AM

Robert Phillips:
If you need compatibility with the latest version of MS Office, you need a windows machine.

Or Office 2011 for Mac... More software vendors are expanding compatibility across multiple OS's (case in point: see the forum where we're having this discussion). Apple is an exception. Other than iTunes and Safari, they keep everything on OS X.

Posts 299
Robert Mullen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 11:20 AM

Chris Roberts:
There are some good reasons why Apple wouldn't allow their OS to be run on different hardware (third-party driver support) but there really isn't a good reason for them not to allow VM support other than their desire to keep people on Apple hardware. Makes good business sense, but it's aggravating to customers like me.

Take it for what it is worth but Jobs has always asserted that the real reason is about controlling the quality of the entire user experience. That is why Apple packaging is such a step above the majority of PC vendors. They truly believe your experience begins when you unbox your Mac and extends to every facet of it's operation. That is why they keep a guy like Ives around when he could go to any company in the world and do industrial design. That said it is still irritating that the ecosystem is so controlled. As an enthusiast and a power user I like to have options that just aren't there in the Apple world although I will admit that with age my desire and available time to treat computing as a hobby is vastly diminished. The extension of the AppStore concept is the thing that worries me most about Apple. I do not like that they control so tightly what can be placed on the device I have purchased. As this model begins to work its way to the desktop my concern grows. Not enough to move me off my Macs but it is there.

Posts 10729
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 1:10 PM

Chris Roberts:
there really isn't a good reason for them not to allow VM support other than their desire to keep people on Apple hardware.

Perhaps that is because Steve Jobs remembers when a parade of stooge CEOs at Apple almost bankrupted the company with their licensing practices.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2010 1:13 PM

Really...

the two viewpoints of Jobs and Gates are valid...they both accomplish what they need to accomplish...

Agree with either of them or neither of them.....I see good reason on both sides of this....

And no....I DIDN'T WIN THE IMAC!!! Angry

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 698
LogosEmployee

Jack Caviness:

Chris Roberts:
there really isn't a good reason for them not to allow VM support other than their desire to keep people on Apple hardware.

Perhaps that is because Steve Jobs remembers when a parade of stooge CEOs at Apple almost bankrupted the company with their licensing practices.

This is pretty much correct. Apple makes money selling hardware. The software they produce (with some exceptions) is primarily there to ensure that their hardware platform and integrated experience they sell is a viable alternative to the competition.

Director of Engineering for Enterprise and Operations

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 24 2010 9:58 PM

Currently use Logos 4 on several devices: iMac 27" desktop (with Oracle's VirtualBox for several Windows virtual machines), Dell Studio XPS laptop, and an iPad - personally prefer Logos 4 Mac on 27" screen.  Logos 4 works on all devices along with opportunities for improvement.

Business model observation - replacement cycles - PC's tend to need replacement every 3 years - Mac's tend to average 6 years.  Apple provides Mac OS X updates for many years (does help to have limited number of configurations for regression testing).

Security - both Windows and Mac OS X have vulnerabilities - Windows has over 3 orders of magnitude (1,000) times more potential headaches than Mac - if connect an un-patched Windows computer to the internet, that computer will be remotely owned by other(s) before patches can be downloaded and installed. On a Mac, easy to teach if being asked for your password and you did not launch a software installer, do not enter password.

Mac option for technical support: if have a problem, can make a free appointment with a Mac Genius at an Apple Store - take Mac to Genius for free diagnosis and suggestions.

Apple offers refurbished Mac's => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac (come with same warranty as new - outside package has refurbished tag - inside packaged like new - 14 day return option).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS