Just got propositioned by a logos forum user...

Page 1 of 5 (86 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 85 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 128
Derek | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 1 2010 8:33 PM

I had no idea my email address was public... How do I turn this off?

I am not happy that someone got my personal email address...

How do I trun my Location, Email, and all information in my profile OFF???

Also, there needs to be a way to talk privately to forum administrators...

Here is the email:

Hello
(community.logos.com)
My name is XXXXX. i saw your email through the internet and became interested in you,i will also like to know you more,and if you can send an email to my email address,i will give you my pictures here I believe we can move from here! An waiting or your mail to my email address above because i have a lot to tell you,
Lot's of love,Miss XXXX.

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 1 2010 8:41 PM

I got this same exact email too. I was very surprised. It is not a Logos forum user and not actually someone propositioning you. It's a spammer. I have no idea how they got your email address, because it is not public.

I will contact Logos and see what they can say about how this could have happened.

Anybody else receive this email?

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 1 2010 9:17 PM

Don;t know why you two are upset. Most people have to pay a social networking service to find potential persons-of-interest.  How did you get it for free? Broken Heart

The structural content of the email looks like a fishing scam of foreign origin. 

You can check the header of the email and determine where it originated.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 287
Jerry Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 1 2010 9:33 PM

I got the same message as well. But I deleted it immediately. 

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 1 2010 10:34 PM

I googled the "reply-to" email address that was in the message and it is a known scammer (apparently one of those Nigerian email scams, where they try to strike up a relationship with you and then get you to send them money). I know how to deal with these things, delete them, of course. But it is still disturbing that all our email addresses got out. I wonder if the Logos forum user database got hacked?

Posts 64
Aaron Baldridge | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 1 2010 10:58 PM

I also got the same message. :( Looking like a hack job. Wonder if our cc info was compromised too????

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 1 2010 11:02 PM

Also got this. Flagged it as junk. I'm a bit surprised by what looks like a breach. Hopefully, Logos can get on top of this and make sure it doesn't happen again.

EDIT: BTW, I do not have this web site set up to email me anything at any time. Nor do I email into this forum, nor even use an RSS fee for it. I only access it directly from the internet. So how did my email address get to them?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 13398
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 1:39 AM

Yes, this is rather worrying. The email didn't originate from Logos' servers, which means that somehow they got my email address. In my case it's theoretically possible it was harvested manually (my email address is not hard to find out with a bit of work), but if you've all had emails as well, that does make a hack at least a possible scenario.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 1:57 AM

I had one too, mentioning Com...ty l.g.s com.  In my spam.  Have deleted with the usual offers of performance enhancing drugs  etc...

Posts 2763
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 2:14 AM

nicky crane:
I had one too, mentioning Com...ty l.g.s com.  In my spam.  Have deleted with the usual offers of performance enhancing drugs  etc...

For a while I also have being receiving these offer via email, I was rather surprise at first until I realised what it was.

And I also got this email as well.

Hello
(community.logos.com)
My name is Shellia. i saw your email through the internet and became interested in you,i will also like to know you more,and if you can send an email to my email address,i will give you my pictures here I believe we can move from here! An waiting or your mail to my email address above because i have a lot to tell you,
Lot's of love,Miss Shellia .

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 2:33 AM

<sniff> <sniff> . . . and I thought I was the special one . . . . Crying  Broken Heart

Actually, don't think I got it, unless it went to already emptied junk folder.  Let us know when you hear from Logos, Rosie

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 397
T Gerold Castle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 3:25 AM

I got this and quickly deleted it. I am concerned about CC info now... Logos?

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle
**If we will do God's work, in God's way, at God's time, with God's power, we shall have God's blessings!!**

Posts 2763
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 3:28 AM

Dan DeVilder:
<sniff> <sniff> . . . and I thought I was the special one . . . . Crying  Broken Heart

Very funnyBig Smile

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 128
Derek | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 3:49 AM

Every other forum I have ever participated in has allowed people to PM (personal message) a forum administrator... We need this ability. 

Posts 3692
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 4:04 AM

Ted Hans:

Dan DeVilder:

Very funnyBig Smile

I thought he might be disappointed because he was left out.  Someone must have known what he was really like.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 480
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 4:26 AM

Could it be they got it from some archived newsgroups perhaps?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 5:20 AM

Just checked my spam folder, this email wasn't there.

I didn't do the old newsgroups btw.

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 5:31 AM

Kevin Becker:

Just checked my spam folder, this email wasn't there.

I didn't do the old newsgroups btw.

Same for me. No email and I didn't do the newsgroups in the past.

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 5:33 AM

Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell:

Could it be they got it from some archived newsgroups perhaps?

I never used the old newsgroups, but I did get the email. And the email address that this spam was sent to is one I've only ever given out to Logos. I create separate email addresses for each organization I do business with for this very reason. I've never posted it on the forum, so it must have been hacked.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2010 5:41 AM

I wonder if the user database has been compromised, or if communications (forum log in and/or L4 log in and synchronization) are being hacked...

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Page 1 of 5 (86 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS