Home Page no longer loading, and Logos won't close without Task Manager

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 80
Bruce Lundquist | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 4 2010 11:27 AM

After opening Logos the home page doesn't appear, but I only see the spinning wheel continuing to spin.  If I click on a resourse or layout that will appear.  But no home page.
Another issue (I don't know if they are related) is closing Logos.  I do this by clicking the X in the top right of the screen.  Doing so doesn't close Logos anymore. I have to open the task manager and kill the program. 
I also wonder if it could be because Logos is a real memory hog.  It uses 125 M and is always at the top when I look at Processes with Task Manager.  Is this normal?
8422.Logos4-20101204.zip

Apple MacBook Pro 16G macOS Mojave version 10.14.4 Beta
Logos Bible Software 8.3 - 8.3.0.0034
http://fcov.org (Faith Church of the Valley)

Posts 9405
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2010 11:36 AM

Bruce, I am unable to open the zip file. Can you try zipping the data files up again and attaching them to another posting?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 80
Bruce Lundquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2010 11:51 AM

Sorry about that.  I should have tested it after posting.

1070.Logos4-20101204.zip

Posts 9405
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2010 12:31 PM

Thanks, Bruce. I don't see anyhting unusual in that log file. It actually seems to be loading the Home Page but near the end the program is terminated, but seemingly normally.

I'd suggest opening Logos while holding down the CTRL key until you get the log-in screen. Select opening to a blank layout. Then choose to log-in.

After getting in the program, try selecting a layout or resources to open and see if you have any trouble. At this point just do that then try to close Logos with the 'X'. If that works reopen Logos with the CRTL key and open to a blank layout again. This time once the program opens and your hard drive light turns off, click on the Home Page button in the UL corner and see if the Home Page will open. If it does, close Logos normally and try to open Logos without using the CTRL key.

If you still can't get anywhere delete your Home Page folder found here in W7/Vista: C:\Users\{User Name}\AppData\Local\Logos4\Data\{Random string}\HomePage and then restart Logos. Doing this will require you reset your preferences on the Home Page.

Since you mentioned memory, yes that is a key element in the speed with which Logos operates. How much RAM do you have and how much free space do you have on your hard drive?

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 80
Bruce Lundquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2010 4:23 PM

Thanks for the help.  I will give it a try.

As for memory, I have 2 MB of RAM and only 10GB left on the home drive.
I wish I had a program that finds loose unused memory.  There is probably a lot I could delete, but would take hours to find.
I'm probably being a bit hyperbolic.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2010 5:09 PM

Bruce Lundquist:
As for memory, I have 2 MB of RAM and only 10GB left on the home drive.
I wish I had a program that finds loose unused memory.  There is probably a lot I could delete, but would take hours to find.
I'm probably being a bit hyperbolic.

That's problematic. One thing to do, if you haven't yet, is run a program like CCleaner (search for it on CNet, or some other "known safe" downloading site). Once or twice I've removed over 100 GB of temporary files, browser cache files, etc. Just be sure to uncheck the "cookies" entry under your browser(s), if you want to keep from retyping your information into the web sites you frequent (or delete them, if privacy is very important to you).

You can also use a program like WinZip, or another compression program to compress old files, or files you know you will probably not access for a while.

The other two things that take up a lot of hard drive space are photographs and music. Move those to CD's, backup drives, etc. You can easily regain a lot of space that way, as a typical MP3 song uses up about a MB/min of song. Depending on your resolution a digital camera photo can easily take up 3 to 6MB of space.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 80
Bruce Lundquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2010 7:54 PM

Richard,  Thanks a lot.  I downloaded CCleaner and it's going to work now.

Mark, I tried what you said and it got stuck on the web page again.  I did remove a couple of resources which caused the home page to partially appear, grayed out.  After 2 hours (I went to dinner with my wife) I checked and the wheel was still spinning, and the home page was grayed out.  When I tried to close as you suggested it froze.  I then opened task manager and killed the program.

I will next delete the home page folder and see what happens.  Thanks for your help.

6874.Logos4-20101204pm.zip

Posts 80
Bruce Lundquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2010 8:07 PM

Mark, I deleted the home page folder and that solved all of my problems! The home page remade itself and open immediately.  Also, Logos closes right away!

This is a big deal.  I'm thrilled.  Thanks so much.

Blessings to you guys.

-Bruce

Posts 9405
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 4 2010 8:30 PM

Glad it is working.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS