Hebrew Phrase Searches?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 128
Doug Dunbar | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 8 2010 10:50 AM

Can someone point me to a tutorial on Hebrew Phrase searching?  I tried just highlighting two words in BHS, right clicking and choosing "search this resource" on the phrase, but it didn't even return the result of that passage (דבר יהוה in Gen 15:4).  I poked around for about 15-20 minutes in morphology search, syntax search.  Tried a raw search on BHS the consonants in quotations "דבר יהוה" but got no where, also tried listing each as lemma:... Finally fired up VMWare Fusion + BibleWorks 7 and got it done in seconds.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2010 8:22 AM

It looks like you've found a Mac bug. I just did a phrase search from the right click menu in the Windows version and it found the hit but nothing else.

Posts 128
Doug Dunbar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2010 11:33 AM

Not sure if it's a bug in the program or the user Big Smile. Having used BW for years, I'm used to that interface and how it functions. So to do this search in BW, its a simple matter if using a single quote, typing in the consonant sting, and it searches for that string regardless of vowel pointing.  For this particular phrase, the results should be 200+ if I remember right - mostly in the major prophets, and some in Exodus.

So my main question is whether that kind of "simple" approach to Hebrew text searching is possible with L4? At some point I'd like to remove XP from my Mac (something in Mark 13:14 about that...), but for some stuff BW + my experience with that program, gets the work done faster.

Posts 128
Doug Dunbar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2010 12:58 PM

OK - not sure what I did different, but now I get 111 results when I select that phrase in Gen 15:1 and "search this resource" for the phrase - in both BHS/WIVU and AFAT....back to whatever you were doing....

Posts 2509
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2010 1:17 PM

Your range may have carried over from a previous search possibly... You will see the range in the search results box and can change it there.

Posts 12
Pog | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2013 2:59 AM

I have exactly the same problem.  Highlighted last two words in Ps. 23 and hit Search this resource, and nothing was found!  Am I doing something wrong, please?

Posts 24245
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2013 3:06 AM

Hi Nigel

I've just tried this and it works fine - but I am running Logos 5 on Windows. Hopefully someone running L4 Mac can check and comment.

Can you post a screenshot showing exactly what you are highlighting and another one of the search window?

Details on doing this are at http://wiki.logos.com/Screenshot

One thing to check is the search range in the search window - it is for the whole Bible or just restricted to a subset?

Graham 

Posts 90
Garcia | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2013 4:20 AM

I ran a couple of checks on my MAC on Ps 23 and got hits on the "Search this Resource". They were however hits only referring back to the highlights I selected in Ps23. When I searched the phrase in v6, "I shall dwell" I was able to get 10 hits total though only one was translated "I shall dwell"

Hope this helps

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 21 2013 8:27 PM

Nigel Foster:
Highlighted last two words in Ps. 23 and hit Search this resource, and nothing was found!  Am I doing something wrong, please?

Curious about right hand choice for search this resource ?

Using Logos 5.0b on OS X 10.8.2 found phrase after highlighting last two words, then search for selection in this resource:

Logos 5 also can search for word roots.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 12
Pog | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 8:49 AM

Thanks so much for your input, guys, and apologies for the multiple posting, something I am not in the habit of doing.  I posted to this forum before realising it was for Mac!  This is a link to the PC thread I opened: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/66720/464877.aspx#464877  That will explain why you were puzzled re: right-click I guess?   I am using Logos 4 running on Windows 7.

Blessings, Nigel

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 10:57 AM

Nigel Foster:
That will explain why you were puzzled re: right-click I guess?

OS X has right-click, which works the same in Logos 5 and Logos 4 as Windows.

Noticed phrase search in 1995 BHS resource finds nothing, which is a bug:

Psalms 23:3 has a verb in the imperative tense, which is being highlighting by a visual filter for Logos Hebrew Morphology.

Personally have added a year prefix to many Bible resource titles.  Logos has newer BHS resources => http://www.logos.com/product/21066/german-bible-society-bundle-student-edition and => http://www.logos.com/product/18617/german-bible-society-bundle

Logos has changed English Reverse Interlinear resources to use Logos Hebrew Morphology.  Logos 5 Minimal Crossgrade includes Lexham Hebrew Bible with morphological tagging.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 23 2013 11:48 AM

Doug Dunbar:

OK - not sure what I did different, but now I get 111 results when I select that phrase in Gen 15:1 and "search this resource" for the phrase - in both BHS/WIVU and AFAT....back to whatever you were doing....

What you need to do to get a valid result is to copy the phrase you want to find and paste it into a bible search.  First you need to enter two double quotes and place the phrase between them.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS