Sermon Addin

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 79
George Ruddell | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 9 2010 9:05 AM

Hello Everyone

Is there any update on when sermon addin will be available for Logos 4? I understood, last time I inquired, that it wasn't due to be published until early 2011.

I am really looking forward to its release.

George

in Northern Ireland

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2010 9:23 AM

Sadly, there's no information forthcoming.  The last I knew they were defining internals on it - that was some time ago.  I'm sure by now they've coded some things up, but I'm not sure when we'll see them.

More than likely it will be concurrent or just after the PBB support; since even in L3 the Sermon Addin shared the PBB backend.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 179
Wesley Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2010 10:55 AM

I'm sure they would just love to say when (I would like to know too) but if they did there would be CakeMusicStarYesMusicYes excitement from everyone! then if it was held up because of any reason then you would see CryingAngrySuper AngryBroken HeartWilted FlowerNo and they would feel awful!

Still, I am just like a kid on Christmas eve myself! I can't wait either!

Posts 79
George Ruddell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2010 11:01 AM

Thomas

Thank you for your reply. I am really looking forward to Sermon Addin being available. Do you know why it has been delayed? Is there anything that can be done in the meantime? I want to develop a Wikki of sermon illustrations and quotations. I was hoping that I'd be able to do this early in 2011.

George

Posts 446
Jonathan Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2010 11:05 AM

George Ruddell:
Is there anything that can be done in the meantime?

If you have L3 installed on your computer, you can still import sermons there. And your Logos4 recognizes and imports them. I would assume that you have L3 seeing as how you know what the Sermon File Addin is...

Jonathan Sine

Pastor - Squamish Baptist Church

2 Cor. 4.6

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2010 11:10 AM

George Ruddell:

Thomas

Thank you for your reply. I am really looking forward to Sermon Addin being available. Do you know why it has been delayed? Is there anything that can be done in the meantime? I want to develop a Wikki of sermon illustrations and quotations. I was hoping that I'd be able to do this early in 2011.

George

We MVP's have just as much information as everyone else on this. So we could only guess.

But let's guess anyway. I suspect that the Sermon/Illustration Add-in development is tied to the PBB Add-in development, and that neither will be released until both are established. What we don't want is an initial format that will be changed (i.e., improved) later, since that could require a significant amount of reformatting for us users. I don't want that either. So, while the product will likely be beta tested, it will come into beta testing in substantially it's final form.

We've been told that both the PBB and Sermon/Illustration resources will function just like other Logos resources. I would also guess that this creates a challenge for Logos to develop this, while maintaining the security of their resource format (they don't want any 'back-door' hacking going on - nor do I). I would then guess that new protocols would have to be written to encrypt/decrypt these files with a different algorithm than their other resources.

But those are just guesses, and there could be other even more substantial obstacles to getting this done.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2010 11:12 AM

George Ruddell:
Do you know why it has been delayed?
I think it's a dual issue of prioritization and complexity.  

Prioritization because other items are more easily done (complexity) and because other items are/were no doubt used by a larger number of users than the Sermon File addiin was.

Complexity because SF is built on top of the PBB interface and that is undergoing a complete rewrite in order to produce books that have all of the functionality of any other Logos book.  I suspect this means very little of the former model will be used if any.  I also suspect it will make the end product much more flexible and preferable.

George Ruddell:
Is there anything that can be done in the meantime?
Like you I'm waiting hopefully for the addin.  I finished writing an export filter for OpenOffice which saves files in a ready-to-compile format for the sermon file addin.  I know suspect it's going to take a major rewrite for L4; and I'm eager to get started though short on time to do so.  

At best, I would suggest creating your documents with all of the extra information you're going to want to import (date preached, where, etc.) and hopefully when SF for L4 comes out, they'll be ready to import.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS