Will this be the answer to those of us seeking Fuzzy Search?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 179
Wesley Crouch | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 9 2010 5:19 PM | Locked

This question came up to my mind while I was "playing" with the Logos 4.2a beta 2 search abilities (And having some fun!) I am not ashamed to say I am one of the many who have asked for Fuzzy Search app to come to Logos 4 but while I was searching for scriptures I couldn't even remember all that clearly the 4.2a beta 2 found all except one I misspelled. (Even one Fuzzy Search couldn't find!) I am curious if this new searching ability might end the cry for Fuzzy Search?

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2010 6:23 PM | Locked

It might help. But improving wildcard searching would really kill the cry.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 6725
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2010 6:51 PM | Locked

Never really used fuzzy search, but this could be the death knell. I am being blow away with the speed of phrase searches. Considering my HDD clocks in at 5700 RPM, if it gets any faster, I will have to strap the machine down when running searches. Now if only we can have similar results on exegetical and passage guides!!

Hmmm. Wonder whats cooking up in the super secret beta lab? Bradley can you leak a few bits and pieces. I promise not to tell Bob.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 179
Wesley Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2010 9:24 AM | Locked

Lynden Williams:
Never really used fuzzy search

A lot of people out there never really used fuzzy search so there are a lot of people who don't understand any use for it even being offered in the first place. To that I want to offer this explanation. I pastor a small church that I planted 10 years ago, back then we started in an old building that was used at one time as a laundry. One minister told me not to give up, or feel ashamed of a small start, he told me the bible said "despise not small beginnings" and that was something that built up my hopes that day. Only problem was I didn't know where that "scripture" was at so I searched and I searched and I . . . it wasn't until I used Logos and opened the search to use all my bibles that I found it in Zechariah 4:10 New Living Translation.  I've had Sunday School Teachers, Evangelists, and even members that I had to "check up on" something they were saying was "Gospel" when I never heard it quoted that way.

Fuzzy Search in Libronix was a help when i accidentley misspeld something in a serch (No my spelling isn't that bad, well not all the time anyway. :-)

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2010 9:40 AM | Locked

Wesley Crouch:
it wasn't until I used Logos and opened the search to use all my bibles that I found it in Zechariah 4:10 New Living Translation

But you have to search without the quotes because the actual phrase in NLT is "do not despise these small beginnings"

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 179
Wesley Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2010 9:58 AM | Locked

Having a search engine that is capable of finding a verse that not only can I not remember where it is, but I don't know exactly word for word how it went can be a lot of help.

Oh, and just between us - Libronix 3.0 wasn't able to find it for me Logos 4.2a did! But that will just stay between us! Wink

Posts 27039
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2010 3:41 PM | Locked

Wesley Crouch:
Oh, and just between us - Libronix 3.0 wasn't able to find it for me Logos 4.2a did! But that will just stay between us!

Whilst i don't want to take the shine off 4.2a, Libronix was able to find it with a little more variation

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 179
Wesley Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 26 2010 9:32 AM | Locked

Okay then, how can I get search on L4.2 to do the same as Fuzzy search?

Posts 33447
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 26 2010 11:13 AM | Locked

Wesley Crouch:

Okay then, how can I get search on L4.2 to do the same as Fuzzy search?

You don't. however

despise NEAR "small beginnings"

is a reasonable substitute

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS