Any use of the Logos S/W by clergy?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3
Rev. Mr. Harbey Santiago | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 10 2010 2:51 PM

Hello Folks,

I'm new in the forum and was wandering if there are any other Clergy  making use of the Logos software in their ministry. I'm considering purchase this product but I would like to hear from your experiences using it first. Thanks!

PS> In case you are wandering I'm a Catholic Permanent Deacon Serving in the Archdiocese of Baltimore.

Viva Cristo Rey!!

Deacon Harbey Santiago

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2010 3:04 PM

Indeed there are.  I am a pastor in Central Illinois and have been using Logos for quite some time.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 1633
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2010 3:04 PM

hi, and welcome

Yes: there are many here who prepare and present in church contexts.

Perhaps the best way to answer your question might be to see how others use Logos to prepare their material:
    http://community.logos.com/forums/t/7715.aspx

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2010 3:05 PM

There certainly are and some Roman Catholic clergy among them. I have used it for many years and would not want to be without it as a pastor.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2693
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2010 3:10 PM

Although not ordained in any mainline denominiation, I use Logos regularly for sermon preperation, Homegroups, and my personal study.

We have users at all levels from congregation members, lay-readers, seminary students to ministers, lecturers, doctors EDIT and proffessors

Have you any specific questions we can help with?

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2010 3:13 PM

DominicM:
We have users at all levels from congregation members, lay-readers, seminary students to ministers, lecturers, doctors
Completely true, when I first started using Logos I figured only pastors would fork over the money for this powerful software, I was actually surprised many years ago in the newsgroups to start learning that many of the regulars here are not pastors - but serve God by working full time elsewhere.  :-)

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 3663
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2010 4:10 PM

Rev. Mr. Harbey Santiago:
I'm new in the forum and was wandering if there are any other Clergy  making use of the Logos software in their ministry. I'm considering purchase this product but I would like to hear from your experiences using it first. Thanks!

PS> In case you are wandering I'm a Catholic Permanent Deacon Serving in the Archdiocese of Baltimore.

You might be interested in this thread:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/16521.aspx?PageIndex=1

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 261
Ralph A. Abernethy III | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2010 4:31 PM

As a Lutheran pastor, I use Logos just about every day, for sermon prep, putting Bible studies together, or reading theology.  I truly would not want to be without it.  

Posts 26530
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2010 11:32 PM

Rev. Mr. Harbey Santiago:
In case you are wandering I'm a Catholic Permanent Deacon Serving in the Archdiocese of Baltimore.

Welcome, yes you will find Catholics here. The forums may assume everyone is evangelical until otherwise identified but you will find a number of customers in the Lutheran-Anglican-Catholic-Orthodox spectrum. Whether preparing to proclaim the Word, preach or guide people in Bible study you will find Logos helpful and becoming more helpful for Catholic practices.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18670
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2010 11:50 PM

I'm not sure which base package the Catholics among us would recommend you start with, but I suppose it depends on how in-depth you want to go in your Biblical language study, etc. Scholar's Library is a great one to start with, for clergy and academic types alike, if you can afford it. I think the Base package contents were probably designed with evangelicals in mind, though of course they've got many of the essential reference materials that will be useful for all. You might find some of the stuff in them not very interesting to you, but even taking that into account, for the quantity of useful reference works in them, the prices are unbeatable.

You might want to check out the resource bundles that are geared specifically for Catholics (though others of us use many of them too), and add one or two of these to your base package:

And here's a search on the Logos website for all products deemed especially relevant for Catholics: http://www.logos.com/products/search?Christian+Group=Catholic. Note that some of these are in pre-pub status (which is the best way to buy resources, as the deals are awesome; but these won't go into development until enough people place an order, and there's no guarantee they ever will; your credit card won't get charged until they ship, though).

Posts 26530
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 11 2010 12:10 AM

Rosie Perera:

Rosie,Rosie ...you missed Catena AureaCool

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18670
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 11 2010 12:32 AM

MJ. Smith:

It's not a resource collection. It's one multi-volume commentary. I was just listing the major bundles and allowing the search link to provide the rest (including Catena Aurea, which you forgot to include a link to. Stick out tongueSmile). She's right, though, Harbey, it is well worth getting!

Posts 4602
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 11 2010 8:30 AM

I began using Logos (back then Libronix) when I was leading a bible study group in my home and teaching a Sunday school class. I would not want to study the bible without it.

As a pastor I rely on L4 daily and it has not let me down. I reccomend Logos to anyone who is interested in truly building a diverse library and effective study tools for ministry, or personal growth and bible study.

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 11 2010 8:49 AM

I am a minister in the Church of Scotland and I have been using Logos in my ministry, including sermon and Bible study preparation since 1993. Starting very small with Logos 1.6, before there were such things as base packages, I have gradually built up to Logos 4 Mac Platinum plus many extra resources. I also used it for academic study in competing a PhD part-time at the University of Aberdeen. I could not have managed to find the time to do it without Logos.

I reckon that Logos saves me at least 50% of the time I take to prepare sermons or bible studies.

As you can see from other replies we Logos users are a worldwide, multi-ethnic, multi-denominational family of users.

Learning Logos takes time but there are good videos to help you get started including a great series by Mark Barnes which you can view by clicking here.

However, just a couple of hours will make a great difference to time taken in sermon preparation.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 11 2010 9:17 AM

Although I am working for Logos, I have used it for 16 years of ministry as a pastor.  It is the greatest tool around for teaching, training, and equipping people in the Word!

Blessings

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 1221
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 11 2010 2:32 PM

I am a pastor in Canada, I have been using L4 for about a year now. I have basically given away my library (real books) and gone digital with L4.

Combined with my ipad, I can study, search and read books. 

I would say the searching is the winning feature for me over traditional books.

God bless

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 11 2010 4:34 PM

MJ. Smith:

And you both missed The Catholic Theology and Dogma Collection, http://www.logos.com/product/5177/catholic-theology-and-dogma-collection (includes Dentzinger and Trent, among other things). (Note that it will cost more than twice as much after it is finished in January (and there is no guarantee that there won't also be a minor raise before then).)

Newman, Bede and the Nova Vulgata are also on prepub specials.

Then there's the old Catholic Encyclopaedia, http://www.logos.com/product/8511/the-catholic-encyclopedia, which you might get extremely cheap if you put in a bid now and are willing to wait (probably quite some time).

The Summa Theologica, on the other hand, is one of those resources I personally find rather overpriced. I want it, but they'll have to lower the price an awful lot before I'll buy. Especially since I prefer the other translation.

Otherwise Rosie's link is the best place to start, together with the base package chart. Note, though, that they're in the middle of a process of tagging all their resources, so there may be Catholic [interest] ones that aren't yet tagged as Catholic, so it might be worth checking back in a month or so, when that job is supposed to be finished. One thing I can think of right now that I didn't see under that link is the Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture. Coming to think of it, I also didn't see the Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture, though there's only two volumes of that yet, I believe.

Much will depend on whether you want original language resources. If you do, the Original Languages package is well worth the money even for Catholics. After that, it's very much up to you. The base package prices are extremely discounted, but while an Evangelical pastor will probably find 50-90% of the included resources useful, you (and I, though I'm neither clergy nor formally Catholic) might find it to be more like 10%. That might still suffice to make it cheaper than buying the same resources separately, but it'll never be nearly as good a deal for us as it is for Evangelicals. You'll simply have to check carefully what you want and sum it up to see if it's worth it or not.

If you don't need original language resources, or if you don't have the money for OLL or higher, it'll be even trickier, and, not having any experience with the lower packages, I don't feel the least bit qualified to give any advice. Just note that there are some features in the software itself that only come with the higher base packages. 

There are also some Spanish resources if you are interested in such, but you'll have to check for yourself what theological perspective they come from.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 18
Paul D. Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 11 2010 5:30 PM

I am a pastor of 30+ years and have used Logos for 10 years. I also am a professor at a Bible College in Dallas and cannot imagine being without the software.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS