Logos 4 Mac. . . VERY POOR PERFORMANCE

Page 1 of 8 (150 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 149 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 15
MikeV81 | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Dec 14 2010 4:18 PM

Ok, so I purchased Logos 4 Mac recently. I have a top model iMac (Core i7@2.93Ghz, 8GB RAM). There is nothing this machine can't run... except Logos. The performance of the program is substandard to say the least. Transitions between windows are choppy, menu pull downs are 1 - 3 secs delayed, and the program will occasionally force close. Try pulling up the right click menu and sometimes it will work, others it wont. Power look-up is slow and unreliable. Opening any reference books is slow and sometimes unresponsive. When I run the software on my Windows laptop, which is significantly less capable (Core i3@1.2Ghz, 4GB RAM), the programs blows the Mac out of the water. So, clearly, the problem is in the mac version of the software. I am running Logos Bible Software 4.0b SR-1 (4.10.4.8093).

I am wondering if there are any settings tweaks or other settings mods that need to be made to get this program to run correctly. I cannot accept that this is the best that Logos can put forth for Mac. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks & God bless,

Mike

Posts 1513
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 4:37 PM

Hi Michael. I have a quad-core i5, 4Gb RAM. I haven't experienced the problems you describe, at least not that I recognize. Are you running the beta or the stable version?

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 15
MikeV81 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 5:08 PM

Hi Ben, I do believe I am running the stable version (Logos Bible Software 4.0b SR-1 (4.10.4.8093)). I just purchased this machine and did a clean install from the Logos site a couple of weeks ago. I am not sure why this is happening, I do hope to find the solution.

Posts 652
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 5:24 PM

Unfortunately I think this could be where Logos 4 Mac is right now performance wise. I am running the newest beta and when I try to run my mouse over the File, Guides, Tools.... tabs at the top of Logos there is at least a 1-2 second delay many times. Logos 4 Mac is just not exactly where I would like it speed wise. I went from an old Windows XP computer with 1GB RAM to a new MacBookPro with 4 GB RAM and I really can't tell much difference performance wise. I have heard that Logos is still working on performance upgrades, but this just might be where the we are at the moment. But I hope there is just some tweak that could fix things up for you.

Posts 91
Seth Hewitt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 7:42 PM

If you haven't done so, go to Settings and under Energy Saver, at the top, select Higher Performance Graphics instead of Better Battery Life. Once I did that, Logos sped up considerably. I use a fair amount of visual filters and highlighting and without the higher performance graphics processor, the machine seems to spend a lot of regular processor cycles just trying to keep up with the graphics in the program, slowing down performance overall.

After that change, a few weeks ago I added an additional 2G of ram. That improved performance by about the same amount again. (Mine is an early 2008 unibody MacBook Pro. Apple doesn't acknowledge that it will run with 6G, but it does quite well. Go to Other World Computing and check their memory specs and pricing.)

I wasn't happy when the 4.0 Gold was released—the program was sluggish, scrolling was slow and lagged, but now  performance is very good and I'm quite happy.

Just a thot.

Seth

Posts 12
Paul D. Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 8:33 PM

@Seth

Have tried the settings you recommend to improve performance, since I've the same concerns and the initial post.

VERY disappointed by the issues I'm experiencing and wish that I had gone with Accordance.

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 9:10 PM

I have to agree. I participated off and on during the beta phase and it wasn't as sluggish as it is now. Even the initial gold master was better. It takes ages to load one of my more complicated layouts and to be honest, even though I am not a super demanding user when it comes it speed, it's just too slow.

Posts 87
Ray D | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 9:52 PM

Same here... slooooooooow to the point of which I have lost the joy of using Logos4 Mac. Still use it quite a bit each week for word studies and such. Out of necessity though since I have no other alternative at this point. So it’s a matter of trying to remain content and lumber through the performance issues and trust that Logos will one day deliver a product that is ready for prime time. Feel better now, been holding that in for some time. Big Smile

Posts 87
Ray D | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 9:57 PM

Seth Hewitt:
go to Settings and under Energy Saver, at the top, select Higher Performance Graphics instead of Better Battery Life

Hi Seth, Michael wrote that he has an iMac and there is no such setting that I am aware of.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 10:00 PM

Ray D:

Seth Hewitt:
go to Settings and under Energy Saver, at the top, select Higher Performance Graphics instead of Better Battery Life

Hi Seth, Michael wrote that he has an iMac and there is no such setting that I am aware of.

Plus I imagine that even on a laptop it would make no difference unless one were using a battery and then would only cause performance to equal the performance when plugged in.

Posts 91
Seth Hewitt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 14 2010 10:21 PM

Sorry, I missed that Michael said he had an iMac.

For the MacBook Pro—at least the early ones like I have—there are two different graphics processors, an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and an NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT. You have to use the second one if you connect the laptop to a hi-res monitor alongside the laptop monitor. There is considerable difference in the performance of the two processors. I guess that Apple put the selection on the Energy Saver page because the higher performance processor uses up the battery much more quickly.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 1:58 AM

With 8 GB RAM installed, wonder about switching to 64 bit kernel ? Forum http://community.logos.com/forums/p/15647/119413.aspx#119413 may be helpful.

Wonder if iMac configured with SSD and hard disk ? (configure to order option)

Also wonder about resource contention with other programs, especially disk intensive ? (e.g. anti-virus, online backup)

Next year anticipating Logos 4 Mac feature parity with Windows along with more performance improvements.

Also dreaming of 3.4 GHz Quad Core i7 iMac with SSD and hard disk (anticipating Intel announcement during CES keynote on Jan 5, 2011)

On a 2.8 GHz Quad Core i7, most menus instant (Layouts bit slower - about a second).

Concur with occasional crash (or force close) - posting repeatable crashes to Beta forum.

Unable to replicate reference book slowness - wonder about some examples ?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 18
Dave | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 5:47 AM

I am also becoming very frustrated with the choppiness and very poor performance. I have waited patiently like most people but am getting a bit worried that it may not ever be as good as the PC side of things. What can we do but wait?

Posts 2455
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 5:50 AM

Are any of you running Parallels at the same time as L4 Mac? The do not play well together and will really slow down Logos.

Posts 1
Michael Grange | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 6:27 AM

I have read the post aboves and looks like different thoughts.  i just bought a IMac i7 with 12G memory.  I also have Logo4 on my PC laptop which I travel extensively with. Should I even bother install it on the Mac side or just do the PC install and eliminate any problems.  I really did want to switch everthing to the MAC but not sure if I will be able to sync notes, highlights, etc effectively accross both platforms.  Any ideas while you are all on this subject?

thanks...

Posts 2455
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 6:47 AM

I run the latest beta on a 2008 MBP 2.4Ghz with 4 GB of memory and a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT video card  with no problems, but I manage the program. I created my own PG and EG eliminating unused sections; I keep all sections collapsed and only open them when I need them (which is a good idea anyway); I do not run L4 Mac and Parallels at the same time; there are still a few areas that are slow and troublesome:

1. Parallel passages is slower

2. Word by Word section in the EG has some bugs and is slow if left expanded with a large pericope.

3. Syntax searches are slower

4. Morph search has a few bugs still

With the above tweaks I find it as fast as L4 Win. 

Here is a brief video with my setup.. older and not my best.. but perhaps provides some tips on running L4 Mac better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeY_8f2oFYo

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 9:42 AM

Michael Grange:

I have read the post aboves and looks like different thoughts.  i just bought a IMac i7 with 12G memory.  I also have Logo4 on my PC laptop which I travel extensively with. Should I even bother install it on the Mac side or just do the PC install and eliminate any problems.  I really did want to switch everthing to the MAC but not sure if I will be able to sync notes, highlights, etc effectively accross both platforms.  Any ideas while you are all on this subject.

Configuration sounds familiar: iMac 2.8 GHz Quad Core i7 with 16 GB memory and 7200 RPM hard drive running Logos 4.2a Beta 2 for Mac along with 64 bit Windows 7 Professional in Oracle's VirtualBox (adequate memory for both) - learned 64 bit kernel faster for Snow Leopard and 64 bit Windows noticeably faster than 32 bit (indexing library completed an hour quicker).  When indexing Logos 4, do 1 configuration at a time (avoid contention between Logos 4 indexers).

Laptop has 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate with experience index 5.9 (processor, memory, and disk with 6.4 for graphics) - Core 2 Duo P8400 @ 2.27 GHz with 8 GB memory and 7200 RPM hard disk - likewise running Logos 4.2a Beta 2.

Technical note: with memory over 4 GB, choosing 64 bit operating systems (avoid address space memory mapping from 32 bit to 64 bit).

Sync is effective across platforms - in an earlier release, could not add reading plan shortcut in Logos 4 Mac - created shortcut in PC, synced to Mac - worked fine.  Note: only named layouts are sync'd.

Currently, Logos 4.2a Beta 2 has the most feature parity between platforms - albeit Mac version bit more buggy.

By the way, both platforms have some issues (many posted to forums) - depends on configuration and usage for personal encounter(s).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10788
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 9:56 AM

John Fidel:
Are any of you running Parallels at the same time as L4 Mac? The do not play well together and will really slow down Logos.

John

I believe this depends upon the amount of installed RAM. I have 11GB, and Parallels does not affect L4 Mac. KS4J seems to have no interference, but he reported having 12GB.

Posts 2455
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 10:06 AM

Good point Jack... I am confused why there is such a diverse user experience with L4 Mac. I love it and have removed the L4 Win from Parallels. My analytical mind wants to know.

Posts 37
Chuckk Gerwig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2010 11:20 AM

yep im stuck with it and it is very slow choppy and frustrating to work with, i have a brand new imac with maxed ram ed and it still is a prob to work with , its still the best out there but is a joyless wonder most days in performance.  Hoping and praying for an improved product soon as i use it almost daily gritting my teeth.

Page 1 of 8 (150 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS