Yet another Christmas Master Collection question

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 16 2010 6:14 PM

I've not been in the forums in a while, so forgive me if this question was previously asked. I upgraded to Portfolio earlier this year and am not somewhat overwhelmed by the Christmas offerings, especially the Master Collection.

So, my question is, since I have the Portfolio package, would the Master Collection really be of any real benefit? Is there an easy way to determine what I'd gain by purchasing any of the Christmas packages, especially the Master Collection?

Thank you in advance for any assistance. Once again, sorry if this question was already raised. I just found out about the Christmas packages this week. 

Blessings and love,

Christina

iMac 27 inch, 3.1 GHz Core i5, 1T HD, 4 GB RAM

Posts 26378
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 6:54 PM

Christina:

So, my question is, since I have the Portfolio package, would the Master Collection really be of any real benefit? Is there an easy way to determine what I'd gain by purchasing any of the Christmas packages, especially the Master Collection?

You can simply compare the Master Collection with the Portfolio; particularly the overlap of commentaries which are incomplete in the Master.

This applies to the other Christmas collections. IMHO you have to know what you want first, then determine the value of buying individually vs one of the Collections.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 7:37 PM

Peace and Joy to my Logos Brothers and Sisters!          *smile*

Is there a way to confirm the prices on the Christmas Master List with the old prices -- i.e. the "regular" prices??

I'm looking at a certain book on the list, and -- when I compare -- I think the regular Logos price has been changed to meet the new prices on the Master List.  In other words the Master List and the regular price at Logos.com is the same.  I can't see how the 50% off has been applied.

When I get to the final page of the checkout, that is the price I get.

Is there an archive somewhere of the regular prices before this sale?

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 8:18 PM

Lenski is one such example it was 299.95 about 2 months ago and it is that same price right now, listed as 50% off.  I was offered the set about 2 months ago for 50-70 dollars less than the current price.

In Christ,

Jim VanSchoonhoven

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 8:37 PM

Jim VanSchoonhoven:

Lenski is one such example it was 299.95 about 2 months ago and it is that same price right now, listed as 50% off.  I was offered the set about 2 months ago for 50-70 dollars less than the current price.

In Christ,

Jim VanSchoonhoven

I might be wrong but I do not see any Lenski Commentaries in the Master's Collection. 50% discount is only for those titles you find on the Master's list.

Bohuslav

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 8:41 PM

I paid 203.87 Canadian Dollars coming out of pre-pub for Lenski.  Right now I think that is 199 American Dollars.  How much was the list price for Lenski two weeks ago before the Christmas sale?

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 9427
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 8:44 PM

There might be some exceptions, but in checking the Internet Archive (the most recent pages available prior to this year were about a year ago, October 27, 2009), the list prices for the works in the sale this year are identical to those last year. Some were on sale last year (but not for 50% off). So I cannot see evidence that Logos raised the list prices for this sale.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2010 8:45 PM

Thanks Bohuslav!

Peace to you!  I assumed it was on the list because Jim referred to it.

However, you are correct, so my basic question is still hanging out there!

*smile*

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 17 2010 1:31 AM

Milford Charles Murray:

Thanks Bohuslav!

*smile*

Hello Milford, I am not sure I understand the problem, but just in case... do you mean you see prices on the following page the same as at the regular price list?

http://www.logos.com/products/search?Specials=Featured 

As I look through the list I see 50% discounted prices against the Retail prices. Do I miss something?

Bohuslav

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 17 2010 5:47 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Milford Charles Murray:

Thanks Bohuslav!

*smile*

Hello Milford, I am not sure I understand the problem, but just in case... do you mean you see prices on the following page the same as at the regular price list?

http://www.logos.com/products/search?Specials=Featured 

As I look through the list I see 50% discounted prices against the Retail prices. Do I miss something?

Peace Bohuslav!   *smile*

Probably I missed something.  Just now realised that we hardly ever pay the retail price.  So in one sense, it is not 50% off what we would normally pay, but a different percentage.  What I didn't catch for myself is that this is Logos' normal practise, so why am I enquiring???   *smile*  Sorry to have bothered you.

Posts 133
Chuck Forsythe | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 17 2010 8:17 AM

Hi Christina:

I am not sure if this helps, but you can compare the Logos Master Collection to what you already own, which may help you decided if there are enough titles you want to justify the price.

I learned this from “fgh” who responded to my post yesterday in the General Forum.

By adding "&unlocked=no" or "&unlocked=yes" to the end of an Logos.com URL that has the word "search?" in the URL, the page will only display items that you either own or do not own.

This will compare the Master list to the titles you already have a license to and show only those you do not have:

http://www.logos.com/products/search?Specials=Featured&unlocked=no

This will show the titles you already have a license to that are also in the Master list:

http://www.logos.com/products/search?Specials=Featured&unlocked=yes

I recommend you read the Logos Blog, which describes both the Christmas Special collections and offers a way to create your own collection at a 50% discount:

http://blog.logos.com/archives/2010/12/build_your_own_collection_for_christmas.html

http://blog.logos.com/archives/2010/12/2010_christmas_sale_starts_now.html

I hope this helps.

Chuck

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 18 2010 8:46 AM

Milford Charles Murray:

Peace Bohuslav!   *smile*

Probably I missed something.  Just now realised that we hardly ever pay the retail price.  So in one sense, it is not 50% off what we would normally pay, but a different percentage.  What I didn't catch for myself is that this is Logos' normal practise, so why am I enquiring???   *smile*  Sorry to have bothered you.

You haven't bother me at all Smile

You are right Milford. I am not sure I understand the reasoning for the Retail price. We never have to pay that one (which is nice of course) and so you are right the percentage of the discount is not exactly 50%.

P.S. I really appreciate your kind spirit Milford. It is always very positive experience to read your posts. Thank you and let God bless you.

Shalom

Bohuslav

Posts 1984
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 18 2010 10:28 AM

I know some folks in another thread were discussing ways to check what you have vs. what's available, and I don't know if anyone has done this yet or not...

But here's a Microsoft Excel file ('97 - '03 format) with all the individual titles from the 2010 Master Collection (2,010 rows). Anyone can use that as a starting point, perhaps by exporting their library resources into this file.

Donnie

2475.2010-ChristmasCollection-IndividualTitles.xls

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2010 6:16 AM

Thank you all for the excellent suggestions and information. I was able to utilize the search specifications suggested by Chuck and realized there was not a lot in the Christmas specials that I didn't already own. Although I love a bargain, it wasn't worth the purchase of any of the package deals. I'm glad they were offered, but I'll have to wait until next year. 

May God bless each of you with a wonderful Christmas and an awesome 2011!

Love,

Christina

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 11:42 AM

I have posted some information on the Christmas Master Collection as a new forum post at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/27683.aspx  Big Smile

Hopefully it will help others sort things out.

Posts 187
Rev. D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 4:48 PM

Praiser, you ROCK. Thanks for the valuable information, however it now poses a major issue for me. I vowed (probably too strong of a word) not to purchase any additional resources this year since I have hundreds, if not thousands, that I've not touched. However, I loathe missing a good bargain so I'll have to review my budget. I already have a pile of Christmas gifts in my office that I'm returning, so I hope this new information doesn't cause me to unwrap and return additional gifts (smile). My children would be sooooo dissapointed. 

Thanks again! 

Christina

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 5:18 PM

Christina:
I vowed (...) not to purchase any additional resources this year (...) However, I loathe missing a good bargain

There is a solution to that dilemma: buy January 1st or 2nd... Big Smile Stick out tongue

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2010 7:40 PM

Christina:
Praiser, you ROCK. Thanks for the valuable information, however it now poses a major issue for me.

My pleasure, I couldn't see putting all that time into it and not sharing the information and save others some time doing the same thing.

As fgh points out, the sale is running through January 2nd. That would be next year! Surprise

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS