Catholic Users

Page 7 of 10 (184 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »
This post has 183 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 11060
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 7:39 AM

Surprising how often Christians need to quote from the 'fool-verse'.

I'd certainly qualify for the 'fool' labeling ... I'm evangelical and avoid evangelical resources like the plague. Most of my favorites oddly enough are from the Catholic side of the house.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 8:01 AM

Denise Barnhart:
Surprising how often Christians need to quote from the 'fool-verse'.

I have to admit that I was tempted to apologise in advance for the comment but had a need to make the observation...

I personally enjoy resources from a wide range of perspectives.

I hope my use of the fool reference did not offend you too deeply!

Stay blessed...

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 8:07 AM

Proverb 26:5 says "don't answer a fool..." so then why did you not follow the command? 

Posts 141
Jonathan Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 8:12 AM

Please be respectful and follow the Forum Guidelines. I ask you (all of you) to please refrain from theological attack, debate, discussion, or defense. 

Thank you.

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 9:22 AM

Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

Posts 10759
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 9:35 AM

Sam,

actually it looks like you silently Wink help the trolls out here when you cite their posting in full. If some Logos admin deletes "Andy's" post, yours will carry the message along.

Just my 2c

Mick

Edit: thanks for editing it out!

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 9:35 AM

Peter Cellini:
Proverb 26:5 says "don't answer a fool..." so then why did you not follow the command? 

Answer a fool as his folly deserves, That he not be wise in his own eyes. Proverbs 26:5 (NASB)

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 9:41 AM

Denise Barnhart:
I'm evangelical and avoid evangelical resources like the plague. Most of my favorites oddly enough are from the Catholic side of the house.

very interesting.  while I can't say I avoid them like the plague, I have been distancing myself somewhat, even as I appreciate much of what you name as your favorites, even if I know i can't embrace the whole of it, and appreciate my own heritage for what it is.  this isn't the place to explore that, but i wanted to let you know that you touched on a dynamic I see within myself.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 7:50 PM

Point taken...edited

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 6:33 AM

where is the holy hand-grenade of Antioch when you need it?

Posts 130
Willard Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 11:44 AM

Interesting

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 11:50 AM

Dan DeVilder:

where is the holy hand-grenade of Antioch when you need it?

not one of my finer moments.  (it is a reference to a comedy troup's particular film sketch. )

Willard Scott:

Interesting

Embarrassed

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 8:22 AM

Actually Dan, I found your comment a useful light break from what had gone before in the last page or two.

As for the general topic: I welcome Logos offering a range of resources, but ask that where possible, works are clearly identified. See some of the other recent threads about the age of some of the CP resources, and that the dates of some of the quotes about how wonderful and recommendde they are, comes from 1873 or some such.

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 12:19 PM

JimT:
Actually Dan, I found your comment a useful light break from what had gone before in the last page or two.

thanks.  I was trying to be humorous, but as I have figured out, my use of humor as a coping mechanism often is interpreted in a lot of ways that are not helpful.

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 3:20 PM

Edit: no longer relevant.

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 7:22 PM

Hey, who removed those truthful quotes from this thread about the Papacy as anti-christ?  I find it amazing that as Christ said, the light of truth is hated.  We see it specifically played out on this "christian" forum...

John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

Posts 77
Paul Oertly | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 7:44 PM

Peter Cellini:
Hey, who removed those truthful quotes from this thread about the Papacy as anti-christ?
Do you mean these citations? 

John Huss

John Huss was a student of John Wycliff, who translated the Bible into English in 1382. Wycliff advocated the right of the common man to read the Bible in his own language. Both Wycliff and Huss believed scripture to supersede the dogmas and ordinances of the church and both declared the Papacy to be the AntiChrist foretold in scripture. John Huss was burned alive* at the stake in 1415 for his "heresy" and rebellion against Catholic authority.

Martin Luther

Based on prophetic studies, Martin Luther finally declared, "We here are of the conviction that the papacy is the seat of the true and real Antichrist." (Aug. 18, 1520).

John Calvin

John Calvin (1509–1564) (Presbyterian): "Some persons think us too severe and censorious when we call the Roman pontiff Antichrist. But those who are of this opinion do not consider that they bring the same charge of presumption against Paul himself, after whom we speak and whose language we adopt... I shall briefly show that (Paul's words in II Thess. 2) are not capable of any other interpretation than that which applies them to the Papacy."

John Knox

John Knox (1505–1572) (Scotch Presbyterian): John Knox sought to counteract "that tyranny which the pope himself has for so many ages exercised over the church." As with Luther, he finally concluded that the Papacy was "the very antichrist, and son of perdition, of whom Paul speaks."

Thomas Cranmer

Thomas Cranmer (1489–1556) (Anglican): "Whereof it followeth Rome to be the seat of antichrist, and the pope to be very antichrist himself. I could prove the same by many other scriptures, old writers, and strong reasons."

Roger Williams

Roger Williams (1603–1683) (First Baptist Pastor in America): Pastor Williams spoke of the Pope as "the pretended Vicar of Christ o­n earth, who sits as God over the Temple of God, exalting himself not o­nly above all that is called God, but over the souls and consciences of all his vassals, yea over the Spirit of Christ, over the Holy Spirit, yea, and God himself...speaking against the God of heaven, thinking to change times and laws; but he is the son of perdition (II Thess. 2)."

The Westminster Confession of Faith

The Westminster Confession of Faith (1647): "There is no other head of the church but the Lord Jesus Christ. Nor can the pope of Rome in any sense be head thereof; but is that Antichrist, that man of sin and son of perdition that exalteth himself in the church against Christ and all that is called God."

Cotton Mather

Cotton Mather (1663–1728) (Congregational Theologian): "The oracles of God foretold the rising of an Antichrist in the Christian Church: and in the Pope of Rome, all the characteristics of that Antichrist are so marvelously answered that if any who read the Scriptures do not see it, there is a marvelous blindness upon them."

John Wesley

John Wesley (1703–1791) (Methodist): Speaking of the Papacy, John Wesley wrote, "He is in an emphatical sense, the Man of Sin, as he increases all manner of sin above measure. And he is, too, properly styled the Son of Perdition, as he has caused the death of numberless multitudes, both of his opposers and followers... He it is...that exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped...claiming the highest power, and highest honour...claiming the prerogatives which belong to God alone."

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 6 2012 7:47 PM

Peter Cellini:
I find it amazing that as Christ said
Too bad you doubt your Lord's words so much. Therein could lie your problem in obeying His command to love your enemies. Give it a try; Music  "Give a little, give a little bit of your love to me." Music    ~ Supertramp

The owner of the forum is apparently tired of the hate certain lawless posters are spewing. You do not have the authority to keep it up. Even a perfect evangelist is commanded by the Lord not to cast their pearls before swine. So whatever your standing before God, the Bible gives neither you nor I the right to hate.

Your Gospel message should be how Christ came to seek and save the lost. Gospel means "good news." That is quite different than taking joy in the damnation of any who may be lost. I think that conduct falls more in line with the response of Satan. I just don't get it.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 5:24 AM

Super Tramp:
"Give a little, give a little bit of your love to me."

You are missing the point...Truth is not hate.  You may see it is hate because you love darkness.  Love is showing light to those in the darkness whether they can see it or not.  Maybe you should get your theology from the God's word an not 70's drug bands...who worship Babaji

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 5:30 AM

Paul Oertly:
Do you mean these citations?

Yes, They are the ones.  Thanks.

Page 7 of 10 (184 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS