Stop the Off-topic Discussions!

Page 2 of 3 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 55 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 273
Ken Avery | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 12:15 PM

Apparently, from all the responses in such a short time, we have found common ground on a subject everyone is an expert; what not to talk about and how to say and prove you are "in the spirit".

I would tell you what I am really thinking; though, it would be off topic and not PC!

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 12:56 PM

Phil Gons:
Please keep all discussions centered on Logos Bible Software. Thanks!
I thought I was being helpful in offering a suggestion that worked on the forum I bult and moderated for several years.  Very well then... will  refrain from offering any further suggestions regarding the discussion forum, its use or its mechanics since that is not Logos software... thanks for clarifying things Phil.

------- NOTE ---------

I got confused and thought this post from you Phil  (on page one) came after my suggestion (on page two). I may still be off base in posting the suggestion though, so I will assume my current post above reflects your wishes about off-topic comments unless I hear otherweise.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 10743
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 1:59 PM

MarkSwaim:

I really dont understand this thread.  This thread is an OT discussion asking that OT discussions  be stopped.  Apparently there are some who like to discuss this topic and others who do not.  Those who do not simply ignore it.  They dont click on it nor read it. 

There is another OT discussion going on right now that some people are discussing because they want to.  And those who dont, simply dont click on it. 

I do agree that we all should discuss things in love.  But there is a learning curve...on how to carry on a discussion via a forum in love.  As well, there will always be those that refuse to follow the rules and will not discuss in love. 

We like to think that all on the forum are going to be Christ-like because it is a Christian forum.  But only true believers will be Christ like...and even true believers have to grow.  So it is a nice wish to think all can discuss things in a loving manner.  But it is not realistic.

I dont think OT discussions will ever stop.  But on the forum, there is an option...to ignore posts that you dont want to read...There are so many posts that it is being done probably by all of us..we are ignoring posts we are not interested in.

Mark

I have benn a member of forums in which the moderators clamped down on posts to keep everything on target, even to the point of suspending some of the most helpful members of the community. The forums quickly became so boring that posts dried up and forum attendance faded away.

If you really want off-topic discussions to end, you should ignore THIS thread Indifferent

Personally, I enjoy off-topic discussions. If I don't, I ignore the thread.

Jack

Posts 2046
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 2:02 PM

Jack

You may have misunderstood my post.  I completely agree with what you wrote and that is what I meant to say.

Posts 10743
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 2:24 PM
Mark I understood that. Sorry, I did not make my post more clear. Jackl
Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 3:56 PM

Seems clear to me that Logos really doesn't mind "off topic discussions" otherwise they'd do something about them. Though I think it's rude to hijack a post and take it in a different direction, I don't mind the debates and discussions at all. I think the split idea above is good one.

Brad

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 5:02 PM

Brad Fry:

Seems clear to me that Logos really doesn't mind "off topic discussions" otherwise they'd do something about them. Though I think it's rude to hijack a post and take it in a different direction, I don't mind the debates and discussions at all. I think the split idea above is good one.

Brad

Not true. Logos does mind. Look at Phil's post from July 7, and Logos' response in the discussion in the suggestions group that I started on that subject. Logos minds, but they don't want to strong-arm their wishes here. They depend on us to 'police' ourselves and each other.

As far as an OT group goes, I doubt they'd be interested. It was asked for in the days of the newsgroups too, and we were told 'No.'

There are plenty of forums for discussing theology. If that's what you want, go find one. Logos doesn't want to become one and I hope it doesn't. Those sorts of forums attract all that's shallow and vitriolic, and preclude genuine thoughtful discussions. Even those OT discussions that have happened here quickly degenerated into something less than edifying.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 5:29 PM

Yes, I remember Phil's response. I'm sure it was sincere but I still don't get the impression it concerns them much. We have the option to "Report Abuse". Other than that I think it's best to just not read what I don't like.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 6:01 PM

Yes, Split the threads. It is also possible to lock down a thread so no new posts can happen. But it is pretty clear more than a few enjoy some of the off topic stuff.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 6:09 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
Logos minds, but they don't want to strong-arm their wishes here. They depend on us to 'police' ourselves and each other.

"Police"?    I appreciate gentle reminders on occassion but when you start issuing citations & placing posters under arrest, I'm runnin' for the hills! Crying

I think a lot of good on topic stuff gets mentioned in the midst of the off topic rants. Logos is probably gleaning the wheat from the tares.

Posts 3707
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 6:17 PM

Matthew C Jones:
Logos is probably gleaning the wheat from the tares.

I am sorry - when all I see is the tares among the wheat, I stop looking for the wheat!

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 6:21 PM

Matthew C Jones:
I think a lot of good on topic stuff gets mentioned in the midst of the off topic rants. Logos is probably gleaning the wheat from the tares.

No, only the angels do that at the end of the age.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 6:24 PM

That's why God doesn't let us do the gleaning. (Mt.25:14-30).Coffee

Brad

Posts 28
Scott Edgren | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 7:31 PM
Daniel DeVilder wrote the following post at Thu, Jul 9 2009 1:57 PM: i would rather these be self policing unless they get wayyy out of control. I do think a "chat room", or even a theological forum section would be interesting, and perhaps drive up traffic to the logos sites. I agree with Daniel. I think it would be helpful to create additional forums that relate to Logos, but are a little more off-topic, like "theological issues" and maybe "technological tools and other software." By the way, I tried to include a quote of Daniel's post, but it didn't seem to work the way that most of you do it. I had to copy and paste. How do I include a quote when I am replying to another post?
Posts 28
Scott Edgren | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 7:32 PM
I have another question. Why did my blank lines not appear in my post? It ran it all together in one paragraph.
Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 7:54 PM

Scott Edgren:
By the way, I tried to include a quote of Daniel's post, but it didn't seem to work the way that most of you do it. I had to copy and paste. How do I include a quote when I am replying to another post?

First, click on the "Reply" button then highlight the text you wish to quote and click on "Quote."

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2009 3:09 AM

JackCaviness:
I have benn a member of forums in which the moderators clamped down on posts to keep everything on target, even to the point of suspending some of the most helpful members of the community. The forums quickly became so boring that posts dried up and forum attendance faded away.

One of the things that I really liked about the news groups was the way that discussions developed around Logos and the OT elements were an important part of the groups character. The forum has inherited some of this and I personally see this as good my only problem is that the way the forum presents the messages it is sometimes difficult (impossible) to follow the multiple discussion threads.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 25856
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2009 7:01 AM

Joe Miller:
I got confused and thought this post from you Phil  (on page one) came after my suggestion (on page two). I may still be off base in posting the suggestion though, so I will assume my current post above reflects your wishes about off-topic comments unless I hear otherweise.

Maybe Logos can't split posts with this forum software, or simply do not wish to be burdened with the task. Phil's reply was rather lame (lacking authority/finality/decisiveness) given the total history of Off-topic posts and requests through the newsgroups and this forum.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2009 7:56 AM

+

Dave Hooton:

Joe Miller:

Maybe Logos can't split posts with this forum software, or simply do not wish to be burdened with the task. Phil's reply was rather lame (lacking authority/finality/decisiveness) given the total history of Off-topic posts and requests through the newsgroups and this forum.

Phil's response wasn't really lame. It just wasn't what some wanted to hear. Perhaps some wanted no response from Logos. Perhaps some wanted Logos to permanently ban certain users and rescind their license agreements. Perhaps many wanted some type of moderate accomodations for all posters. But it really should not surprise us that a box full of preachers &/or academics should get  a little rowdy. If you've ever introduced a new parakeet to your birdcage social network you know the next morning you will find blood & feathers everywhere.  Devil   Hmm  Super Angry  Angry Ick!  Zip it!  Crying  Embarrassed  Sad 

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2009 8:03 AM

Well done Matthew (you forgot this one:  Big Smile )

Bohuslav

Page 2 of 3 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS