Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 68
Gregory S. MacBeth | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 23 2009 10:48 AM

I can't get the latest version "f" to run.  It completes the install with no errors reported but when I click Tools|Account Management all the tips are blank and the Account Management dialog is blank.  If I click F5, I briefly see the right UI, but it disappears.

I am trying to figure out if this is an IE 8 issue, Win 7 issue or a problem with Norton Internet Security 2010?

Anyone have some thoughts?

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2009 11:34 AM

All I can say Gregory is that I've never had a similar problem with Kaspersky Internet Security. 

Norton is, In my experience, quite notorious for being a problem application.  Though I must concede that I know plenty of people use it - perhaps without incident.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2009 1:58 PM

Gregory S. MacBeth:

Have you thought of switching to Microsoft Security Essentials? I have it running on a dozen or so machines, seems a lot leaner than Norton, less intrusive, fully integrated into XP / Vista / 7, and best of all it is free:

Microsoft Security Essentials

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2009 2:16 PM

Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but I thought I would ask the obvious.  ("Obvious" is relative.)  Did you restore your licenses from a backup?  Have you synced your licenses with the Libronix server?

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2009 2:48 PM

Gregory S. MacBeth:

am trying to figure out if this is an IE 8 issue, Win 7 issue or a problem with Norton Internet Security 2010?

Just my thoughts:

Norton is the likely culprit.  I would try it w/o Norton first.
I did not notice any IE8 issues with Logos, but I had so many IE8 issues with other programs I removed it.
I doubt it is Windows 7. W7 is probably the best Windows ever - especially if you run it as a bunch of virtual machines.

I run three layers of protection and they do not include either Norton or McAfee.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1712
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 23 2009 8:33 PM

Gregory S. MacBeth:

I can't get the latest version "f" to run. [snip]

I am trying to figure out if this is an IE 8 issue, Win 7 issue or a problem with Norton Internet Security 2010?

FWIW, I'm using Libronix 3.0f on Windows 7 (64-bit), mostly without issue. Installed without problem. The only glitch I've struck is to do with creating custom ranges for Bible searches.

IMHO, Norton would be worth removing. I'm using the MS Security Essentials, and that's working well (i.e. it catches infected memory sticks from my students.)

As a side-note, I find I rarely need to restart Win7. I just close the laptop lid (sleep), and when I open it again, Logos is still open to exactly where I left off (even withtout specifically saving a workspace.) Win7 handles this much better than previous versions without rebooting (e.g. hot-plugging dual screens/projectors, networks, etc.)

Posts 427
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2009 1:06 PM

Hi Gregory,

I bought this laptop back in Feb with a free copy of Norton's IS and I had SOOOO many problems that when I cried about my problems to a friend at church, he stopped me in my "list" of issues that included everything from networking, ISP problems, USB problems and even external HDD problems.  My friend said to me, "You have Norton's IS installed don't you?"  I said "Yes" and he told me to get rid of it!  In fact, he told me to get rid of it using the utility at Symantec's site, so it is wholly cleaned out of the system.  It solved ALL of  my problems.  

My friend who is certified in the following technical fields, is a great help: 

1. Cisco
  2. MCSE
  3. Unix
  4. Sun

Currently, I use ESET's NOD32 AV, not the Internet Suite.  It does everything fine and without obtrusiveness.  http://www.eset.com .  By the way, I have been using Win 7 since two days after I purchased this laptop in Feb.  So, my issues weren't Vista or Win 7 related. 

Wilson Hines

Posts 2
Jim Wirt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 27 2009 8:55 PM

Gregory,

While not attempting to argue the good or bad about NIS 2010, I am running Libronix 3.0f without problem on Win XP SP3 with NIS 2010 and IE8. While I am not running Win 7 yet, if it were that NIS 2010 was the issue, it shouldn't be specific to the version of Windows. I suggest that you be sure to set your "compatibility view settings" option in IE8 to "display all websites in compatiblity view".

My company has used previous versions of NIS with many of the problems mentioned, however as of the 2009 product, NIS was essentially a new design which has shown to be very reliable and forgiving to applications for us, so I would not be too quick to use it as the source of your issue.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS