To upgrade or not to upgrade?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 128
Derek | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 27 2010 6:16 PM

Hmmm.

Weighing the pros and cons of upgrading my logos collection right now. 

I have a ton of resources that I have purcased off of Rejoice Christian Software, and from that E4 group years ago...

My fear is getting an upgraded Logos 4, but loosing my previous resources because they are not tagged good enough for Logos... I have read other posts of books not being available after the upgrade...  This is actually quite a concern for me.  I don't want to have to re-purchase books just because the bookshelf got upgraded...  But that is what I am afraid of...

How do I check which books will work in L4, and which wont? 

Will they all automatically download from Logos, or do I need to let L4 scan my L3 resources?  How do I do this?

What about resources like my greek pronounciation addin and others like that which require an install?  will those re-download, or do I need to run an install again? 

All in all, L4 feels like a very non-intuitive upgrade...

Please help

Posts 2331
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 27 2010 6:46 PM

Hi Derek,

I did not lose a single resource in L4 Win, and I have 3 that never were converted to the L3 format. What you will lose it the way topics are tagged. E4 especially tagged everything very elaborately (sometimes too much so) with topics. L4 Topics is under development and works differently. I did not lose any resources and the updated ones automatically downloaded without any problems. Greek pronunciation is in L4 as well.

Install the program and then L4 will read your L3 resource directory and download updated versions. Indexing will take a long time.. several hours, so be patient. it is worth the update in my opinion.

Posts 6603
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 27 2010 6:52 PM

In addition to what John has mentioned, L4 does not writeover the previous software, so you can use both side by side.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 18885
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 27 2010 6:54 PM

Most L3 resources should work fine in L4. I'm not aware of any way to check ahead of time.

They will automatically download from Logos into L4 if you run "synchronize licenses" in L3 first. That will ensure that the Logos servers are up to date with what licenses you have, so that they all transfer over to your new L4 installation. This should work equally well for third party resources as for ones purchased directly from Logos. There are a very few that have been discontinued that Logos no longer has the right to make available, but hopefully that won't affect you. You could keep L3 around on your machine just in case and compare library lists after you upgrade to see if any resources you depend on didn't come across.

The Greek pronunciation add-in has been folded into L4 so if you upgrade to Scholar's Library or above, you will have that. The lower packages do not have it and I think that the fact you bought it as an add-in for L3 will not make a difference, but I'm not positive.

Lots of people who upgraded to L4 have felt that it was a complete paradigm shift and took a while to get used to it, but most of them have come to like it better than L3 once they learned the new way of doing things. The videos are very helpful. I recommend Mark Barnes's series of Logos Tutorial Videos (starting from #1 - Installation and Indexing) as the best way to get up and running with L4. His explanations are wonderful! See the links here http://wiki.logos.com/.

Posts 9174
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 27 2010 7:12 PM

I have some old E4 resources and they work fine in Logos4. Many of us have purchased from retailers other than Logos over the years. You should have no problems.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 128
Derek | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 28 2010 1:10 AM

How do I set Logos4 to search my Libronix 3 library folder for resources?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 28 2010 3:55 AM

In the command bar use the scan command then the path to your Libronix resources.

Scan c:/path to resources

Then, restart Logos 4.

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 28 2010 3:59 AM

Derek:

If you install Logos 4 onto the PC that has Logos 3 installed this will happen automatically.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 25813
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 28 2010 4:01 AM

Derek:

If you have a working installation of L3 its resources are checked when you install L4.  To explicitly check them from L4 go to the Command box and type:

scan  c:\Program Files\Libronix DLS\Resources     ==>  enter your actual path, then

restart L4

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS